U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 01:39 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Just checked--I am enabled to receive DM's (that box is checked off)--so don't know why yours didn't come through--what else should I check?

NEG - A while back I also tried to send a DM and received the same message so I added you as a friend and it worked. There's a box that says something about rceiving DMs from friends only - that must be checked.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:28 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
NEG - A while back I also tried to send a DM and received the same message so I added you as a friend and it worked. There's a box that says something about rceiving DMs from friends only - that must be checked.
OK I finally get it--my Options say I'm enabled to receive DMs, but just from friends not everyone. On the other hand, somehow I got a DM from someone who never asked to be a friend, and I'd never heard of that username on CD--so how did that get through?

Old 06-22-2011, 02:44 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,042 times
NEG - ??????????? mystery. But, this should work for you.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:22 PM

433 posts, read 991,641 times
There's something in the settings about receiving direct messages only from moderators and administrators. Perhaps the person whose message got through was a moderator?

Old 06-22-2011, 09:07 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,963,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
OK I finally get it--my Options say I'm enabled to receive DMs, but just from friends not everyone. On the other hand, somehow I got a DM from someone who never asked to be a friend, and I'd never heard of that username on CD--so how did that get through?
Was this from me? I DM'd you on 6-6-11, asking questions because the thread was sooooooooooo long that I lost track of where and why you ended up moving. I never received a reply but assumed it was because you were busy getting settled. I thought I "friended" you, I'll have to check. I'm still learning how to use all the functions of CD.

I'm safe, I promise!

Old 06-23-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
Was this from me? I DM'd you on 6-6-11, asking questions because the thread was sooooooooooo long that I lost track of where and why you ended up moving. I never received a reply but assumed it was because you were busy getting settled. I thought I "friended" you, I'll have to check. I'm still learning how to use all the functions of CD.

I'm safe, I promise!
Maybe it was, I don't remember---I thought it was from some time ago. For a month while moving I had no internet access of my own, and then my Mac crashed when it got hooked up and so I had to buy another one. I lost some stuff and maybe that's when you contacted me? I was getting on CD through my friend's laptop. On top of that, I don't understand how settings, DMs, friend requests, etc work and I have little time to learn. Forgive me if I missed your message. I do know that I'm accepting DMs only from friends.

Yes I've moved, selling and buying and moving has been an incredible ordeal for me complicated by unforeseen challenges all along the way including the loss of my old beloved Mac. I've move a half hour from my former town, from suburban-rural to in town. I am overwhelmed with exhaustion but so happy to have gotten to a great place with my best friend a mile away. I wish everyone the same good fortune in finding the right place!

Old 06-25-2011, 09:40 AM

3 posts, read 3,492 times
Hi Riverbird... Healthcare is cheaper here. Getting insurance was hard for me though at 60. I finally got it through Swiss Medical. Since I do not live near their clinics, I go to private physicians where I live. Inflation has been notable last couple of years, with the cost of basic items triple what they were when I moved here 8 years ago, but the purchasing power of the dollar has only increased 25%. In other words, the same bottle of wine that cost me $2 in 2003 costs $6 now. Ditto for food, transportation, etc. So if you are living off savings or a fixed US income, you will feel your standard of living sliding down hill.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:51 PM

2,217 posts, read 2,034,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle18 View Post
Hi Riverbird... Healthcare is cheaper here. Getting insurance was hard for me though at 60. I finally got it through Swiss Medical.
What country are you talking about?

Old 06-25-2011, 09:35 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,920,828 times
Hi all, I just realized I haven't posted in three months, so here's an update: I have been back and forth to FL three times since April. My Mom (who lives in Bradenton, a town on the Gulf side right above Sarasota) has been in a nursing home/rehab since then, and now will finally have to go into assisted-living. Had I known all this would happen, I wouldn't have bought a house in Philly (area) last year, I would've just moved down here (she can't come up North due to a medical condition). But it is what it is, and I certainly wouldn't sell my house now, as you know it would be a loss. Plus I love the Philly area.

However, I love it here in Bradenton, too. I don't think I'd mind living here. I make friends easily and absolutely adore the beautiful beaches and Gulf sunsets on Anna Maria Island, five miles away. Yeah, the summer heat/humidity is brutal, but that's how it's been in Philly last summer and this summer as well. Plus I have my own physical issues that make it very painful to be in cold weather -- even INSIDE the house. The warm weather is very soothing. So we will keep Mom's condo, as her goal is to someday to be able to come home and live in it again. I will be going back next week, and I feel terribly guilty about leaving her (in a new living situation), but perhaps I can come back and spend the winter. I would just need to have a housesitter at home, since I don't feel comfortable leaving my house vacant for all that time. Is TRosa still here (on the board)? I am trying to catch up on everyone's posts over the past few months. As for my "CA-Dreamin'", I think that dream is done. I'm happy to have had two wonderful years in SoCal (99-01) but at this age, it's just not feasible to do a cross-country move again.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Hi all, I just realized I haven't posted in three months, so here's an update: I have been back and forth to FL three times since April. My Mom (who lives in Bradenton, a town on the Gulf side right above Sarasota) has been in a nursing home/rehab since then, and now will finally have to go into assisted-living. Had I known all this would happen, I wouldn't have bought a house in Philly (area) last year, I would've just moved down here (she can't come up North due to a medical condition). But it is what it is, and I certainly wouldn't sell my house now, as you know it would be a loss. Plus I love the Philly area.

However, I love it here in Bradenton, too. I don't think I'd mind living here. I make friends easily and absolutely adore the beautiful beaches and Gulf sunsets on Anna Maria Island, five miles away. Yeah, the summer heat/humidity is brutal, but that's how it's been in Philly last summer and this summer as well. Plus I have my own physical issues that make it very painful to be in cold weather -- even INSIDE the house. The warm weather is very soothing. So we will keep Mom's condo, as her goal is to someday to be able to come home and live in it again. I will be going back next week, and I feel terribly guilty about leaving her (in a new living situation), but perhaps I can come back and spend the winter. I would just need to have a housesitter at home, since I don't feel comfortable leaving my house vacant for all that time. Is TRosa still here (on the board)? I am trying to catch up on everyone's posts over the past few months. As for my "CA-Dreamin'", I think that dream is done. I'm happy to have had two wonderful years in SoCal (99-01) but at this age, it's just not feasible to do a cross-country move again.
Hi Avalon, thanks for the update!

I advise anyone wanting to move to sell their house/condo now. Everything I read about RE says that things are not going to get better soon, it may take years. On top of the depressed values, we will see the older generation plus the boomers needing to downsize and flooding the market with tons of real estate over the next 10 years, depressing values even more. I got 10% less than I wanted, but am SO happy to have sold now before things stagnate even more. If you know you want to live in FLA, and can sell with a decent return, I'd say go for it now. Life is short. You want to enjoy those beaches , and move before you feel to old to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement