U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 07:26 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,925,325 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, and TRosa, glad to hear you're enjoying your new life in Sarasota. I will definitely contact you if I get down there on a "non-emergency" basis. Can you PM me your info? I did have to chuckle when I read that you were not posting anymore because you were annoying people by being too happy. LOL!

Retirehappy, is it country line-dancing you do? I see a lot of line-dancing among the seniors in Bradenton (FL), where my Mom lives....I assume it's country. And there's a good library, plus the beach nearby, so check out Bradenton/Sarasota!

Loveautumn, I know Philly is not the most expensive area, but it sure isn't the cheapest either. I've kept up with many of your posts, and I know you're still trying to find that perfect spot. I'd be trying to push Philly more, except that we did have two horrendous winters with a lot of snow. We also had a horrendously hot/humid summer last year, and this summer is stacking up to be more of the same. Up til the past few years, the weather hasn't been that extreme. I just don't know where else you could go that wouldn't have some type of extreme weather, other than Southern CA, which is where I think you are now (?) and is obviously expensive. I'm just finding as I get older, the cold is bothering me more than the heat. Even when I'm indoors, the cold makes my hand actually throb with pain, and there's no getting away from it. On the other hand (no pun intended), heat/humidity bother me, but don't cause pain. Sometimes the warm humid breezes actually feel soothing to me. I like the warmth of the Gulf, the whiteness of the sand, and the sunsets over the water.

Well, I hope everyone continues to post here, as I feel like I've made friends and love hearing everyone's stories.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:36 PM

4 posts, read 3,996 times
To Danskkvinde,
I am originally from New England, born and raised in MA and have only been out of the area (living in the west) for the past 19 years. If you don't mind cold and would like a small town, then I would recommend a lovely picturesque New England town called Granville, MA. It is 10-15 minutes into the two closest cities for shopping and 30 minutes to major cities of Springfield, MA or Enfield, Ct. Living in a small hill town is very connecting compared to the smaller cities that surround it. I raised my family here and loved it. I would move back to that area except the property taxes in MA are high, something to consider when living on a limited retirement income. There are several hilltowns at the foothills of the Berkshire Mts,(such as this) which offer an entirely different lifestyle than the small city or suburban living of MA. When I lived there, people helped each other, everyone knew everyone and it was a great community spirit. My two children have stayed and raised their families there. You will need to go out of town for what you need as there is only a library, church, school and country store in the center of town. It offers good living! Closest hospital is 15 minutes down the road in Westfield. I don't think most people can live solely on their retirement income but this is what I am trying to do as well...which is why I am looking at TN. Good luck!

Old 07-08-2011, 07:43 PM

4 posts, read 3,996 times
Thank you for the "welcome sign" popcorn247 and riverbird! Looking forward to hearing more from this wonderful group! ♥♥

Old 07-08-2011, 08:28 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,925,325 times
Littledove, Granville certainly sounds beautiful. I've never been to New England....I'd love to see that area, plus the Finger Lakes or Adirondacks area of NY. As for living in a small town, it does sound wonderful and very peaceful. I'm too spoiled by living near Philly, with its medical schools, sports teams and other big-city amenities, but still a very passionate hometown spirit and loyalty. If you grow up Philly, boy it's hard to get it out of your system. I suppose is that's way with many areas, including your lovely hometown area of New England. I really must visit. And welcome to the board!

Old 07-09-2011, 07:38 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,806,260 times
Littledove08, you might try posting this question in the Knoxville section of Tennessee. I wish I could help.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:33 AM

35 posts, read 62,149 times
Hi all, I'm also new to the forum. I'm 63, single and presently living in DC area but am hoping to move back toward New England for retirement. I agree that western MA is a lovely area with several charming small towns. I grew up not far from there. Lots of cultural activities and not too far from cities for shopping, medical etc.

I am looking toward Maine or Vermont myself. They seem to have retained a more rural character along with the NE charm.

Unfortunately I've moved a lot in my life so am not looking forward to the disruption of finding a whole new set of services and friends but am eager to settle in my final place of residence.

I am learning a lot from reading your posts of things to consider and plan for. Look forward to getting to know you all better.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:10 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Gal coming home View Post
Hi all, I'm also new to the forum. I'm 63, single and presently living in DC area but am hoping to move back toward New England for retirement. I agree that western MA is a lovely area with several charming small towns. I grew up not far from there. Lots of cultural activities and not too far from cities for shopping, medical etc.

I am looking toward Maine or Vermont myself. They seem to have retained a more rural character along with the NE charm.

Unfortunately I've moved a lot in my life so am not looking forward to the disruption of finding a whole new set of services and friends but am eager to settle in my final place of residence.

I am learning a lot from reading your posts of things to consider and plan for. Look forward to getting to know you all better.
Vermont is largely rural and largely pricey. The main "cities" are Burlington (very pricey), Montpelier (the capital), and lower VT is Brattleboro, kind of a former hippie/lifestyle town with lots of arts going on and a natural foods coop in the center of town. Close to the Mass. border.

I traveled Maine extensively over the last 5 years looking for a good retirement town based on being age 75 - 80 (I'm now 62). As a single person I found most areas nice but remote with lots of driving to get around. Portland is a great city but too big for me, and a bit pricey. Coastal areas gorgeous to visit but pricey and lots of driving, plus not a lot of prime medical facilities for older age. There is a Maine City Data Forum with some great posters who give lots of info.

If your heart is set on rural, you will find a lot in Maine. Bar Harbor esp.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:56 PM

3,407 posts, read 3,967,441 times
forest beekeeper, a member of this forum, lives in Maine and loves it. He can tell you alot about it. He posts alot, so look on this forums threads and you will see his name either as an original poster or in the right column, as the last replier to a post.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:14 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,035,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
forest beekeeper, a member of this forum, lives in Maine and loves it. He can tell you alot about it. He posts alot, so look on this forums threads and you will see his name either as an original poster or in the right column, as the last replier to a post.
I'm not so sure that he posts on this forum, but you can find him on the Retiring on a Literal Shoestring forum, and elsewhere

Old 07-11-2011, 10:25 PM

3,407 posts, read 3,967,441 times
I looked on the Retirement forum before posting that he posted on it. He is a "last post" on the 10 Unfriendlies Tax Cities or similiar wording on the Retirement forum. So all the poster needs to do is click on his name (left side of his post) and click "send a Direct Message" on the drop-down box and she can send him a private message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement