U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 01:20 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,238,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post

When I loved in Southern CA, they used to claim the weather was "humid" once in a while, but they don't know "real" humidity. It was NEVER humid to me. And they never had bugs. I lived a mile from the ocean and was ALWAYS chilly at night, even in July. You could never go out without a sweater. I didn't need A/C in my condo. Well, maybe a couple times I wished I had it. And winters -- never went lower than the 40's. I could never wear my wool suits. It was really just ideal. I better shut up before I talk myself into moving back again.

Also, I was in Palm Springs in July one time. It was about 110 with low humidity. I'd heard a lot about this "oh, it's a dry heat" concept. Well, the dry heat didn't feel like a sauna but it did feel like a blast furnace. I also found myself constantly parched and thirsty from the lack of moisture in the air. I guess, given a choice, I'd take the dry heat, but it was still pretty stinkin' hot.
No, I don't know real humidity, but after living almost 60 years in 15-25% humidity ... those 2 to 3 weeks in summer when rain storms roll through the desert are hard to take. I feel like I'm breathing water.

I visited North Carolina once - that was enough to convince me I have to stay in a low humidity area. Like under 30%

I'm a Weather Wimp.

Last edited by Gandalara; 07-24-2011 at 02:10 PM..

Old 07-24-2011, 01:22 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,954,783 times
3:15 pm, south Florida...92.5 feels like 111

Old 07-24-2011, 02:39 PM

8,140 posts, read 7,647,035 times
Sarasota presently 92, according to charts feels like 92, and 59% humidity. Feels like 78 or so on patio.

Let me add that yesterday, you could barely breath it was so hot out, thankful for the rain that cooled things down.

Last edited by TRosa; 07-24-2011 at 03:51 PM..

Old 07-24-2011, 03:33 PM

433 posts, read 992,314 times
It's hot, with no end in sight.
Attached Thumbnails
Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-austin724.jpg  

Old 07-24-2011, 04:11 PM

230 posts, read 351,133 times
UGH!!! Austin!!

Old 07-24-2011, 04:24 PM
mlb

3,184 posts, read 2,858,918 times
Madison, WI better cool down. I'm there in 2 weeks.

I HATE THE HUMIDITY.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:52 PM

Madison is humid today, but nothing like last week, when we hit 99 degrees, and gosh knows what humidity. Today the air is very thick, the humidity is 72 % and the dewpoint is 73

Old 07-24-2011, 08:59 PM

4,407 posts, read 5,929,861 times
When my Mom moved to FL in '97, I went down with her to settle her in. It was late Sept. Oyyy, it was still hot and humid. We went to the beach (Gulf of Mexico) and you couldn't last in the sun for more than a few minutes without getting in the water. But the water was hot, too. So yes, the hot/humid season does last through Aug. and even Sept. The thing is, every location is going to have some unpleasant weather at some point. I guess it boils down to what condition bothers you the most. For me -- I don't like hot/humid, but at least I can escape into the A/C. The cold weather, however, causes me pain in my extremities, even when I'm in my heated living room. This might ultimately affect my decision of where to live out the remainder of my "golden years", however many that may be.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
The thing is, every location is going to have some unpleasant weather at some point. I guess it boils down to what condition bothers you the most. For me -- I don't like hot/humid, but at least I can escape into the A/C. The cold weather, however, causes me pain in my extremities, even when I'm in my heated living room. This might ultimately affect my decision of where to live out the remainder of my "golden years", however many that may be.
This is true, it is individual. My dad hated the heat! He could have lived in Northern Canada. He was a big burly man.

Me, I get cold when winter starts in December, I'm seriously cold all the time. We keep our heat low to save money.... I HATE IT!!! I don't feel warm until I feel the warm sun again... in June.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:31 AM

62 posts, read 88,092 times
South west Scotland at 1.10pm a balmy 64 degrees with 45% humidity. I have not posted in ages as I am still undecided whether to go back to northern California where my only daughter and grandchild lives or to somewhere like Maine that reminds me so much of where I was born. I do so enjoy all the posts and so envy the people who have finally decided on somewhere. Heart says move to where at least I am in the same country as my daughter and grandson but head warns me about leaving the safety net of the social services like the NHS which even with its flaws ensures medical care without taking a huge chunk out of ones budget. My own mother chose not to move to California when my daughter was born almost 29 years ago--a decision at the time I was hurt and frustrated with but now I am about the same age I understand the dilemma she faced. How do other people handle this dilemma as time is definately not standing still and a major move can be daunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement