Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 06:32 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,927,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
With all the good hints and information that Livecontent has made available, I am also leaning towards Colorado. He is very wise and has a lot of common sense. I hope to re-visit the state soon. There is even a botanical garden in Denver! DBG! I really liked Wyoming during my visit last summer, but it might not be the best place to retire. At least by moving to the Denver area, I could easily visit Wyoming at any time.
It's looking like Denver is the place for many of us CD seekers. I wish I could consider it but alas need to be near family (or so I believe )

How about a Denver convention? Maybe LC can find us a retreat house for 3 or 4 days. I would love to visit. (The furthest west I have lived is St. Louis.)

Old 08-01-2011, 06:44 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,106,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It's looking like Denver is the place for many of us CD seekers. I wish I could consider it but alas need to be near family (or so I believe )

How about a Denver convention? Maybe LC can find us a retreat house for 3 or 4 days. I would love to visit. (The furthest west I have lived is St. Louis.)
Count me in!

Old 08-01-2011, 06:46 AM

205 posts, read 396,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I must have psychic powers, just yesterday I was thinking about you and wondered at your not posting in a long time. I remember how happy you were to find your perfect place in Fla. I'm finding that some boomers are restless and want to be on the move, oftentimes closer to their kids and grandkids. I question the whole thing of owning a home now. Maybe you could find a 6-month rental in both places--CA in the winter and MD in the summer . To do this you'd really have to pare down your possessions. But a studio apt in each place would probably be affordable. I do understand not wanting to be that far from family!
I still love my townhome. Maybe it is just the brutal summer heat (seems more so this year all over) where it is just horrendous to walk to the mailbox; maybe when I moved here didn't know my son would be moving to Berkeley. But that is the ebb and flow of life. My daughter suggested just renting out my place for a year and doing the very thing you suggested. I want fall and snow - just for a little while.

But I have my pluses too - went kayaking and swimming with manatees a couple of weeks ago. Water a cool and perfect 72 deg.! Really good to hear from you NEG!!!

Old 08-01-2011, 07:06 AM

7,572 posts, read 8,995,249 times
Perhaps my dream was a glimpse into the future. We have talked about a meet up and CO would be a perfect spot. We can all help NEG kidnap LC and we all can sit down and hash out all life's challenges. Now, if I can just get there I would be happy to host our gathering. Our chef (LC) could show off his skills.

I wonder what Lenora's reaction would be when she was picked up in a police car?

Karcon - would love to kayak with manatee's.

Restless? You bet.

Last edited by Umbria; 08-01-2011 at 08:07 AM..

Old 08-01-2011, 08:02 AM

3 posts, read 4,008 times
Oops sorry...I'm in ARGENTINA....guess the old stuff does not show up without scrolling of hours!
I've appreciated the comments here...and have chosen to move to Annapolis in a few weeks to share a house near the water with another single woman who seems very compatible (age, education, tastes, temperament, etc). The weather can have some extremes, but quality of life is said to be very high for those of us who like beautiful scenery, colonial architecture, bays, boats, etc. A small town feeling but near DC for cultural excitement and airports for getaways. I'm pretty psyched!

I have not explored all of this forum, but is there a way for people to match up to share houses or apartments here?

Old 08-01-2011, 08:14 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,396,631 times
The only reason I wanted to buy a house this time (3 years ago) was because I wanted a studio and a kiln and most landlords have that fear that you will burn their house down even though a kiln is no worse than a fireplace or wood stove. They are actually safer as long as you keep the recommended distance from walls. I really don't want to buy again if I ever move.

I miss family too (PA) but then again I don't miss drama. Right now lots of drama caused by my daughter-in-law. She's good at it. It's a huge reason why I won't move closer to family in PA. My son has allowed her to alienate most of his family. My single women friends without children think I have an advantage when I get older but I have no desire to depend on my children. I'd rather create my support group where I am with my friends even though I love my kids, grandchildren, brothers, sisters, parents and wish I could spend more time with them. The only one I'd move for is my youngest son but he is still figuring out his career. No idea where he'll end up living--he loved Costa Rica and is on his way to Peru for four months to study birds.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:15 AM

7,572 posts, read 8,995,249 times
I will always own - I guess I need to know what my expenses will be.

Your DIL sounds exactly like my SIL - I finally had to walk away from them - like you said, too much drama. I'm one of those "Can't we all just get along" types and the older I get the less I can tolerate trouble makers.

Your youngest son sounds like he's having an interesting life.

Maybe you could join the CO crowd - we may end up with our own support group.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:25 PM

230 posts, read 408,006 times
Gardening? Someone mentioned CO as ideal for that? Where in CO? You must not mean Denver area, right? I keep hearing how dry that area is... so not conducive to the summer garden ;( In that area is really where I would have to live, as I must be near a major airport.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I will always own - I guess I need to know what my expenses will be.

Your DIL sounds exactly like my SIL - I finally had to walk away from them - like you said, too much drama. I'm one of those "Can't we all just get along" types and the older I get the less I can tolerate trouble makers.

Your youngest son sounds like he's having an interesting life.

Maybe you could join the CO crowd - we may end up with our own support group.
One of my friends liked Denver--she moved here from there. She's always talking about the great bike trails in Denver. She considers moving back because she lost her job here after buying a house and has been struggling ever since. She likes the job she has now but it doesn't quite pay the bills. Plus she really likes her friends here and doesn't want to leave us. and I hope she doesn't leave because I'd really miss her--she's my most easy going friend. Today she told me I was her hero because I've been helping her move the last few weekends. I've never heard that before. When you all move there we could meet halfway and go camping.

I find owning I spend much more time and money on the house than if I would rent. Fix the roof leak, fix the drywall from the water leak, landscape, curtains, paint, want to change things (flooring), want this (french doors), want that (portal & patio off french doors), on and on. I love my house, garden, and having the freedom to do what I want there but I also loved the freedom to have more time to do something other than take care of the house and maybe have some money that I would have put into the house to travel. The tricky part is finding a good landlord and right house. Until I can't afford the mortage, I'll be staying and after that you never know.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller91 View Post
Gardening? Someone mentioned CO as ideal for that? Where in CO? You must not mean Denver area, right? I keep hearing how dry that area is... so not conducive to the summer garden ;( In that area is really where I would have to live, as I must be near a major airport.
I garden in Santa Fe and assume it's not any wetter than Denver. There are lots of plants that are drought tolerant and I have an irrigation system. I limit my watering so I do not spend a ton of money on water and I usually have flowers blooming all summer. The vegetable garden is doing much better now that the monsoons have arrived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement