U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 09:37 AM

510 posts, read 1,309,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Great replies!
This is a group worth keeping. Gosh, I wish you were all here near me, so that we could go to a local coffee shop and just hang out! Maybe at least a few of us will end up in the same place....that would be so nice!
What's all the wishin here? I'M STILL PLANNING ON IT!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
or bingo. I'm JUST joking Must be sun on the brain from being at las Golondrinas all day or was it the drooling over the blacksmith historian. hot hot hot and probably married.
I think we would have some fun! Come to music night on the plaza with me. Buffy Sainte-Marie will be there one night--I want to see her. Free concerts starting Monday night! I'm tempted to skip my drawing class Monday - I really hate cross contour--I don't get it. I love contour drawing though.
LOL...Had to respond, DancingEarth! You sound loopy!!!! I thought you were inviting the blacksmith.... Is cross contour like "cross country" or 'parallel universes' ??
Wait, I think it might be me who's loopy... the only thing I know how to do these days is 'move things from one place to another, then back, then rearrange, then move them some more, get rid of a few things, get a few new things, move them around, return them......
time to move on now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
It really should not have happened that way, though & you must feel that everything was beyond your control.
Thanks everyone for even MORE nice posts! Today's the day I leave, so gotta get my last 'net fix'.
Nancy, and everyone,
the truth is I'm fine. ... maybe
(just movin' alot )
You're absolutely right that it should not have happened like that. But, because it was such a bizarre set of circumstances, it was crystal clear that I needed to stop the deal. Instead, I felt like I DID HAVE CONTROL, and happy that my mom helped me see that I needed to USE THAT CONTROL IMMEDIATELY. (I love my mommy )
Also,
I can't believe how many times I've run into 'similar' situations--since I moved to Arizona in 1999, it's like all of a sudden the whole world lost all sense of common sense and reality!! Seriously, I'm always looking around like "Heeelllloo... is everyone insane here except me??
like I say, "all I wanted was a bill of sale"

Well, I'm off .................
gotta get my camp set up, inflate my raft, sunscreen, bikini, beer, and leave it all behind for awhile
Campfire's on the list tonight, watching the kitties chase .. whatever they find, leanin' back and watching the GREAT NIGHT STARS!
The sky's been great the last few nights, but TrC probably has 3 times more street lights than ppl , and cars with boom boxes...
and, of course, 4th of July is a mad house,
but tonight ...
Tonight is all mine!
Let's hope the park rangers and hosts leave me alone this time..

I'll be in touch. Thank you all for being who you are!
Pattiekat (anomoly), Rusty, Silver
Attached Thumbnails
Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-hpim2205.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-hpim2216.jpg  

Old 07-08-2008, 03:38 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,521,294 times
We should call this site Pets Moving to a New Place & How They Get There.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-01-2008, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,548 times
Default Planning retirement

Hello
I was just reading your message. I am considering the same. I would also not like to retire here in South Africa - and with my limited retirement money due - i am looking around - searching the internet for alternatives. I also do not plan to go to a retirment home now. I have no social life here - my children left SA and also my close friends. I am left alone.
Good to read about someone else who also think along the same lines.
Please keep us informed about your plans - i am realy interested.
Myra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
As some of you know from following my posts, I am planning on retiring alone, but in a different area from where I am now (California) due to the costs.

I am curious if there are other single/divorced/widowed women out there considering relocating to another area by themselves, and if so to where, and why that location?

I am very torn about where to go. I love the sunshine and dry weather -- factors in my choices. I also want a social network, and am an eastcoaster, originally, and am wondering if I should reconsider the eastcoast because it seems more social. It will also just be my retirement income (it's just me!), and so lower costs, rather than higher, are important.

I'm not really old enough for the senior centers, as I've noticed they seem to be more filled with the 70 and over crowd. Therefore, since I am still lively and young at heart, I am looking for a place where older singles still mingle. I am searching out places that may work for a single retired woman. (I am 59 right now, but plan to try to stick it out here a few more years, if possible.)

I have diverse interests, moderate politics (Independent), and write, play a little piano for myself, draw, and teach art. I'm a social worker by trade, but would like to be involved in more activities and volunteering that would be "fun" oriented. I love hiking -- that is one of my favorite pursuits. I also adore cooking. I have a dog and three cats. I am also not religious, although I guess the term "Spiritual" would apply. My daughter will be in college, but also studying abroad, so she and I will not be in the same city.

I'd love to hear what others think about this situation. Thanks!
Wisteria

Old 08-01-2008, 07:23 PM

oh, I am so glad to see this thread back. I have missed it & all of you.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-01-2008, 10:44 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,141 times
Hi Nancy, how's retirement? Although I haven't had time until the last day I have checked in to see if Anomoly has been around. I wonder how's she's doing and if she found a place yet. Anyone hear?

My house moving has been quite exhausting. It's been one problem after another but I'm seeing the end of it and I love my house. I had a young friend visit from Seattle for the last week and she helped put my son's paintings up and decorate then we went camping and driving around New Mexico. Tomorrow I'm going to take a break from the garden and go with the Santa Fe Singles group to tour the backstage of the opera and go for breakfast and then I'll come home and rearrange and unpack the garage. Here's a couple of pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-kitchen.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-img_9770.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-img_9761.jpg  

Old 08-02-2008, 04:10 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,954,783 times
What a beautiful place you have, Dancingearth!

Old 08-02-2008, 05:37 PM

What a lovely home & how artistic you are. It looks so homey and so Southwestern.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:47 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
What a beautiful place you have, Dancingearth!
Thanks Plantlover and Nancy theReader. You can see I also like to read. Today I spent 6 hours cleaning out the garage and still not done but I have hopes to have my clay studio set up soon!

Old 08-02-2008, 10:33 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Ladies - I just now stumbled on this thread and I wish I would have done so earlier. I'm in the same boat, with many of the same concerns. It really is nice to know I'm not alone in this - and that has been my major concern - being alone. I'm retired and divorced, would like to meet a nice gent, but if that's not in the cards, I at least would like to meet other ladies that I have some things in common with. My plan has been and is to move to Colorado Springs, CO. The dry heat, 4 seasons, mountains and many other things make this my choice. I lived in Denver for 2 years and just loved it. I knew I would go back one day. This is the day. Let me know what you have all decided to do.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:14 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,737 times
Hi All,

Glad to see the thread back, too. I had a friend whose son died recently, and have been involved with helping in Monterey, plus getting my daughter ready for college in 2-1/2 weeks!

DancingEarth -- beautiful home! It looks so inviting!!

Nancy, how does it feel to have your time your own??

I am busy this weekend cleaning and clearing things out, and hope to have my house on the market this Spring. I am anxious to get going on retirement!

Once my daughter is in college, I'll be looking to do more traveling around to view places. Lately, I've been thinking about taking some trips to South America. I'm taking Spanish this fall at the local community college (I've forgotten most of mine), and maybe a 1/2 year in South America would be good to get the immersion and just explore. I so need to get out of my job and feel alive again!

Where is Anomoly??? Anomoly, if you are lurking around, let us know how you are, and where you are!!

I can't stay on C-D right now, but I'm glad I checked in. "Hello" dear friends, and I'm glad to see we're back. I missed the thread, too, and didn't know others were missing it, as well!

This is a comfortable and supportive space with women whom I've grown to respect and care about -- thanks for bringing this back!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement