U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 07:30 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,812,658 times

Advertisements

naturesdreams, good luck with your future. I agree that you may get less for your home now, but if you plan to buy, you will be buying a home for less than it would be worth in a good market.

I would advertise bargain deals. Half way thru, you could have a 1/2 off sale or even lump items on one table and sell it all for one bargain price.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:44 AM

205 posts, read 360,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
NEgirl, are you prepared for the coming storm? I'm looking at live footage and they just mentioned NEngland area, so thought of you.

live weater reporting

The Weather Channel Livestream

btw, guess I'm getting on my daughter's nerves. MOM!, I'll call you when it's all over. I called one too many times. OOPSie.
I have to laugh at that one - sounds exactly like what my daughter would (does) say! She lives in Annapolis now and finally HAD to call. Found out she was out in San Francisco (due to her work) and was "stuck" because of airport closings. But her brother lives there so she got a nice long weekend with him - all's good!!!!!

My parents had lived in the Outer Banks for years (now both passed on) but it is still "home" to me (they are buried in Manteo) and go back every year. They evacuated so many times they had the drill down pat. It's a way of life but still heartbreaking to see all the flooding and damage Irene has caused. Will be taking a road trip up there in the next month or so. I always like to drive and take the Cedar Island Ferry over to Ocracoke then take the Hatteras Ferry and drive up to the coast. With the new channels and road washed out in places does not look like I will be doing that this year . Will now have to come from the mainland to Manteo. But just need to check on things and old friends. There really is no place like the Outer Banks (OBX)!!! Also looks like Avalon Pier got clobbered - it's across the street from my favorite restaurant - "Awful Arthurs" - best soft shelled crabs in the world. Hope it survived!

Old 08-29-2011, 08:20 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,034,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
I have been doing a bit of painting, put a new front door on (had to the old one was hollow core and nasty) and sealing the driveway (blacktop). curb appeal is everything and my ex had not done the above for 22 years and it is terrible. What a great Labor day weekend hey I should take pictures since I will be covered in tar and probably stick myself to the driveway..

I was also thinking of posting it and selling it myself. I have been looking at homes that have sold and yes I will take a 10,000 to 15,000 cut in value but once the market does go up so will the interest rates and if I want to reinvest my mortgage monies, I want to buy when the interest rates are good.. so in the long run it will almost break even (at least that is what I'm telling myself LOL )

Originally my daughter was going to rent it but last minute changed her mind... I must love change or I wouldn't be considering this move right??

Who would have ever thought that life begins at 58 hey?

ontop of that... I must sell almost everything so a yardsale in a few weeks too... any clever ideas to make a quick sale?? not looking to get much and whatever doesn't sell will go to goodwill.

You are off on a great adventure! Maybe you should start a blog so we can follow it!

For yard sales, I create 4 or 5 tables. One table: $10-$25. Next: $5-$9. etc, down to 25 cents - $1.00. On the sign for each table I write: "Make me an offer, starting with the minimum price." Of course I always get the minimum price, it's an incentive, and more stuff sells that way. I don't bother with clothes, other than a few very newish items like jackets. Books don't sell, generally. You would do better to take the lot of them in boxes to your local used bookstores and see what they give you for them all.

Could you describe how you are sealing your driveway? I really need to deal with this here!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:48 AM

8,149 posts, read 7,671,011 times
Welcome Naturesdreams, nice to have you join us.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:33 AM

6,956 posts, read 7,415,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
I have been doing a bit of painting, put a new front door on (had to the old one was hollow core and nasty) and sealing the driveway (blacktop). curb appeal is everything and my ex had not done the above for 22 years and it is terrible. What a great Labor day weekend hey I should take pictures since I will be covered in tar and probably stick myself to the driveway..

ill.
\
I did that last year - what a mess! Shoe stuck to the driveway and I had to walk out of it in my socks. And why is it that you get an itch on your nose/chin/cheek when your gloves are covered in that stuff? I do wish you the best

Old 08-29-2011, 02:52 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,090,789 times
Good luck naturesdreams! Been there, done that. I have never regretted moving 2,000 miles away Occasionally I wish I lived closer to family but not enough to move back there.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:15 PM

35 posts, read 62,236 times
Although I pretty much have settled on Maine as my ultimate retirement destination I have also toyed with the southwest some since I've always loved it when visiting. Am going to Albuquerque in a few weeks on business and thought I'd check it our in terms of another possible place to settle. Dancing Earth, any suggestions on towns or communities to check out?

Old 08-29-2011, 08:50 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,090,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Gal coming home View Post
Although I pretty much have settled on Maine as my ultimate retirement destination I have also toyed with the southwest some since I've always loved it when visiting. Am going to Albuquerque in a few weeks on business and thought I'd check it our in terms of another possible place to settle. Dancing Earth, any suggestions on towns or communities to check out?
I've only lived in Santa Fe and Eldorado and recommend both. If I could afford it, I'd live in Eldorado again. You might check out Santa Fe, Rio Rancho, and the Los Lunas area. I don't know much about Los Lunas but it's convenient to ABQ. If you don't mind further from a city look at the Cedar Crest area on Hwy 14. I have a friend that lives on the road going to the Sandia Ski area and it's beautiful. Too bad you're not visiting the first week in October for the Balloon Festival. It's spectacular.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:42 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,383,560 times
Default Great ideas! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
You are off on a great adventure! Maybe you should start a blog so we can follow it!

For yard sales, I create 4 or 5 tables. One table: $10-$25. Next: $5-$9. etc, down to 25 cents - $1.00. On the sign for each table I write: "Make me an offer, starting with the minimum price." Of course I always get the minimum price, it's an incentive, and more stuff sells that way. I don't bother with clothes, other than a few very newish items like jackets. Books don't sell, generally. You would do better to take the lot of them in boxes to your local used bookstores and see what they give you for them all.

Could you describe how you are sealing your driveway? I really need to deal with this here!
I am still having the yard sell but just got the "you're great but we hired someone else" letter. I am applying for another position today so Never give up!!...

I will start a blog here when that job offer comes through and encourage others to see that life isn't over until they close the lid on you... LOL

The driveway.. well... I bought the 5 yr sealant, a huge bucket of patching material (remember my ex has never done the driveway and it's a nightmare) and a huge bottle of crack filler... a trowel for the job, a pair of gloves (should have gotten a dozen) and a "spreader??" looks like a window squeegee but much bigger of course... I had to laugh about walking out of the shoes thing.. my co-worker was teasing me and said he would drive by to make sure my "shoes" weren't stuck in the driveway...

Still getting my home ready to sell... no time like the present and too bad about the books not selling ... I have over 200 childrens books but I will take them to half price books and see what they will do (after I let my co-workes see what they would like for their children and grandchildren)
enjoy your Tuesday everyone

Old 08-30-2011, 04:58 AM

35 posts, read 62,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I have a friend that lives on the road going to the Sandia Ski area and it's beautiful. Too bad you're not visiting the first week in October for the Balloon Festival. It's spectacular.
I've been on the Sandia Road - it was truely grand. Thanks for the suggestions. I have a few days to spare so will have time to explore> Unfortunately not enough to stay for the balloons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement