U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-30-2011, 07:56 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 3,093,450 times
Reputation: 924

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Gal coming home View Post
I've been on the Sandia Road - it was truely grand. Thanks for the suggestions. I have a few days to spare so will have time to explore> Unfortunately not enough to stay for the balloons.
Let me know when/if you come to Santa Fe. I can look for things going on and we can meet and do something. What kind of things do you enjoy?

 
Old 09-02-2011, 04:08 PM
 
2,629 posts, read 4,976,404 times
Reputation: 2228
My hometown, Lafayette, IN, made the top 10 places to retire! I know, there are so many of those lists! It is a great place and the only reason that I left the area was for my new job, right out of college. Hmmmm, I just might return! Here is the link:10 Best U.S. Retirement Towns of 2011 - SecondAct.com I loved growing up there.
 
Old 09-02-2011, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,962 posts, read 7,427,282 times
Reputation: 16309
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
My hometown, Lafayette, IN, made the top 10 places to retire! I know, there are so many of those lists! It is a great place and the only reason that I left the area was for my new job, right out of college. Hmmmm, I just might return! Here is the link:10 Best U.S. Retirement Towns of 2011 - SecondAct.com I loved growing up there.
Do you have family there?
 
Old 09-02-2011, 04:56 PM
 
2,629 posts, read 4,976,404 times
Reputation: 2228
No, my only family is my sister and her husband who live in southern California.
 
Old 09-02-2011, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,064,394 times
Reputation: 15650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
\
I did that last year - what a mess! Shoe stuck to the driveway and I had to walk out of it in my socks. And why is it that you get an itch on your nose/chin/cheek when your gloves are covered in that stuff? I do wish you the best
Haha I can see a cartoon based on this. The question is, did you get the job done? Can you describe what you used and how you did it?
 
Old 09-02-2011, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,064,394 times
Reputation: 15650
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
My hometown, Lafayette, IN, made the top 10 places to retire! I know, there are so many of those lists! It is a great place and the only reason that I left the area was for my new job, right out of college. Hmmmm, I just might return! Here is the link:10 Best U.S. Retirement Towns of 2011 - SecondAct.com I loved growing up there.

Affordable??? "Houses under $300,000"??? uhuh

Portland, ME and Burlington VT are among the priciest places in the Northeast, esp Burlington, and do check out those property taxes! ''

I just checked out Lafayette Ind on realtor.com---some very nice looking houses in the 80s and 90's with taxes well under $1000/yr. I might check this out myself~! I wonder if those houses are in "iffy" (rundown) parts of town? What are the amenities for older folks in Lafayette?

Last edited by RiverBird; 09-02-2011 at 05:28 PM..
 
Old 09-02-2011, 05:29 PM
 
2,629 posts, read 4,976,404 times
Reputation: 2228
Ha, ha! I did look at houses for sale.....in Lafayette. Unbelievable how cheap they are! Would not consider either Portland or Burlington. The price we pay for homeowners insurance in south Florida........I know a neighbor who lives in a home built in 1949, ~ 1000 sq. ft. and her homeowners insurance bill: $8,000.00!!!!!!! Of course she is now not insured. The house is paid for - no mortgage.
 
Old 09-02-2011, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,962 posts, read 7,427,282 times
Reputation: 16309
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Haha I can see a cartoon based on this. The question is, did you get the job done? Can you describe what you used and how you did it?
I've done it several times - last year I chatted with a pro doing my neighbors and he recommended getting a higher grade of asphalt -- a synthetic (if I remember correctly.

OK - start by wearing the oldest shoes & socks you own since they will end up in the garbage. Also - gloves (rubber work well).

If you have a blower - blow of any loose dirt/sticks etc...Now is a good time to edge the driveway so you end up with a nice straight line.

Then use the hose to wash it all

Get the crack filler stuff (you'll find all this stuff in the same spot at your local hardware store)

Fill the cracks -- you snip off the end of pointed cap and squeeze it into the crack - I also use a scrapper to push it down into the crack - make sure it's level (it doesn't dip in or bulge out)

If you have large areas to repair you can get the patch stuff. Follow the directions.

Let dry

Then take one of the large cans/tubs of asphalt and drag it to the starting point -remember to think about how you're going to get back in the house knowing you're going to be a mess

Remember to buy the large broom/squeegee thing. It has a long handle with short broom type bristles on one side and a rubber thing on the other side. It's about 2' wide (?)

Pour a 3'x2' (use your judgement depending on your arms reach) of asphalt on driveway and start sweeping the stuff around to evenly cover the driveway

Pour another area and continue

Let it all dry - overnight should do it but if you'll need your car, get that out of the driveway/garage before you start. I used my car to block my driveway so no one could drive on it. You can also use the empty asphalt cans to block your driveway.

It's not that difficult - just messy.

So you're wondering how I lost my shoe - I missed a few spots and went in to fix them - yuk!

Good luck!
 
Old 09-02-2011, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,064,394 times
Reputation: 15650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I've done it several times - last year I chatted with a pro doing my neighbors and he recommended getting a higher grade of asphalt -- a synthetic (if I remember correctly.

OK - start by wearing the oldest shoes & socks you own since they will end up in the garbage. Also - gloves (rubber work well).

If you have a blower - blow of any loose dirt/sticks etc...Now is a good time to edge the driveway so you end up with a nice straight line.

Then use the hose to wash it all

Get the crack filler stuff (you'll find all this stuff in the same spot at your local hardware store)

Fill the cracks -- you snip off the end of pointed cap and squeeze it into the crack - I also use a scrapper to push it down into the crack - make sure it's level (it doesn't dip in or bulge out)

If you have large areas to repair you can get the patch stuff. Follow the directions.

Let dry

Then take one of the large cans/tubs of asphalt and drag it to the starting point -remember to think about how you're going to get back in the house knowing you're going to be a mess

Remember to buy the large broom/squeegee thing. It has a long handle with short broom type bristles on one side and a rubber thing on the other side. It's about 2' wide (?)

Pour a 3'x2' (use your judgement depending on your arms reach) of asphalt on driveway and start sweeping the stuff around to evenly cover the driveway

Pour another area and continue

Let it all dry - overnight should do it but if you'll need your car, get that out of the driveway/garage before you start. I used my car to block my driveway so no one drive on it. You can also use the empty asphalt cans to block your driveway.

It's not that difficult - just messy.

So you're wondering how I lost my shoe - I missed a few spots and went in to fix them - yuk!

Good luck!
Thanks very much, I'd like to see a video on this. I think I'll get my ex to do it.
 
Old 09-02-2011, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,064,394 times
Reputation: 15650
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Ha, ha! I did look at houses for sale.....in Lafayette. Unbelievable how cheap they are! Would not consider either Portland or Burlington. The price we pay for homeowners insurance in south Florida........I know a neighbor who lives in a home built in 1949, ~ 1000 sq. ft. and her homeowners insurance bill: $8,000.00!!!!!!! Of course she is now not insured. The house is paid for - no mortgage.
OK now you've got me intrigued (I did live in Missouri for 2 yrs + 7 yrs) and there was so much to like about it. My brushes with Indiana--my late favorite aunt and uncle had a longtime successful business in Fort Wayne, and I almost went to Bloomington to go on the post-grad journalism track but life threw a curve. Anyway...some questions--

Is Lafayette in tornado alley? Whats the tornado record there?

How hot does it get in the summer?

What's the better parts of town? Is West Lafayette a separate city?

What is Carmel like (the reason I ask is that the only Whole Foods in the state is there, and a WF in a location is a good sign that the area is relatively stable)?

Post some pics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top