U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 06:17 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,951,557 times

Advertisements

Here is another link to an article in the local paper about the hidden treasures of Lafayette:Hidden treasures (some not so hidden) put the 'great' in Greater Lafayette | Journal and Courier | jconline.com

Old 09-04-2011, 06:20 PM

Snowstorms, I lived in Lafayette for the first 22 years of my life. I don't remember any bad snow storms during this time. I have read about 2 or 3 heavy snows in the 38 years since I moved out of town, but this area is not prone to heavy snows. When you're retired, you don't have to go out in bad weather. Just be prepared with plenty of food, etc. at home.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:26 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,973,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Snowstorms, I lived in Lafayette for the first 22 years of my life. I don't remember any bad snow storms during this time. I have read about 2 or 3 heavy snows in the 38 years since I moved out of town, but this area is not prone to heavy snows. When you're retired, you don't have to go out in bad weather. Just be prepared with plenty of food, etc. at home.
So I've read up a lot on Lafayette and see that it's a really sizable city, too big for someone like me. But if you are from there, and know it well, it would not seem so big and foreign. I really like what I read. If I were from there, I would probably go back at retirement time. I love all that it has to offer. I also love the excitement of Purdue U being there.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:00 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,924,127 times
Well, I survived Hurricane Irene (Philly suburbs) but it was scary as heck! After everyone put all the lawn furniture away and cleared the supermarkets of essentials, we all hunkered down for the night. The hurricane was supposed to hit in full force around 4 AM; however, at about 9 PM Sat. night, there was pouring rain, howling winds and tornado alerts every 2 mins. on TV. People who had been kidding around on FB about the "over-hyped" hurricane then became seriously scared. I was hiding in my basement, afraid that one of the trees in my backyard would come down on my head. The power flickered and I shut my TVs off for fear of a power surge. The sump pump in my basement was pumping out water every 20 secs, and even at that, I had a leak that required continuous towels. Luckily, I did not lose power, but some neighbors lost it for FIVE DAYS....many flooded basements and ruined possessions. However, the worst of it is that a friend from many years ago lost her life. She was 64 and worked at a supermarket for 40 years...planning on retiring in Feb. She was attempting to get to work at 2 AM Sun., the height of the storm, when her car stalled from a flooded creek. For some unknown reason, she got out of the car and started walking....she got caught up in the raging flood waters and drowned. Her body was found in the creek the next day by family who had started a search after she did not show up for work. Why the supermarket did not close, when PA had declared a state of emergency the night before, is beyond me. I just am so sad every time I think about this poor woman and how scared she must have been. So yes, hurricanes are deadly and not to be taken lightly.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
So I've read up a lot on Lafayette and see that it's a really sizable city, too big for someone like me. But if you are from there, and know it well, it would not seem so big and foreign. I really like what I read. If I were from there, I would probably go back at retirement time. I love all that it has to offer. I also love the excitement of Purdue U being there.
I understand!

Old 09-05-2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Well, I survived Hurricane Irene (Philly suburbs) but it was scary as heck! After everyone put all the lawn furniture away and cleared the supermarkets of essentials, we all hunkered down for the night. The hurricane was supposed to hit in full force around 4 AM; however, at about 9 PM Sat. night, there was pouring rain, howling winds and tornado alerts every 2 mins. on TV. People who had been kidding around on FB about the "over-hyped" hurricane then became seriously scared. I was hiding in my basement, afraid that one of the trees in my backyard would come down on my head. The power flickered and I shut my TVs off for fear of a power surge. The sump pump in my basement was pumping out water every 20 secs, and even at that, I had a leak that required continuous towels. Luckily, I did not lose power, but some neighbors lost it for FIVE DAYS....many flooded basements and ruined possessions. However, the worst of it is that a friend from many years ago lost her life. She was 64 and worked at a supermarket for 40 years...planning on retiring in Feb. She was attempting to get to work at 2 AM Sun., the height of the storm, when her car stalled from a flooded creek. For some unknown reason, she got out of the car and started walking....she got caught up in the raging flood waters and drowned. Her body was found in the creek the next day by family who had started a search after she did not show up for work. Why the supermarket did not close, when PA had declared a state of emergency the night before, is beyond me. I just am so sad every time I think about this poor woman and how scared she must have been. So yes, hurricanes are deadly and not to be taken lightly.

OMG, what a sad sad story about your friend. My worst nightmare is driving along and having water come at me. I mean WORST. I got caught (my daughter driving) in a torrential downpour last year in Southern NH and the downtown of the town was flooded above the hubcaps. We couldn't even get out of the car the downpour was so bad. Not to mention the downed wires hiding under the water. By the grace of God we got out of that situation some hours later.

I had no idea Philly got hit so bad...is it mostly creeks or is there a river? Southern Vermont really got hit, worse than NH. Connecticut got a lot of power outages. My area was largely spared (inland).

Has this made you think about any relocation plans?

Old 09-05-2011, 07:00 AM

895 posts, read 1,331,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
OMG, what a sad sad story about your friend. My worst nightmare is driving along and having water come at me. I mean WORST. I got caught (my daughter driving) in a torrential downpour last year in Southern NH and the downtown of the town was flooded above the hubcaps. We couldn't even get out of the car the downpour was so bad. Not to mention the downed wires hiding under the water. By the grace of God we got out of that situation some hours later.

I had no idea Philly got hit so bad...is it mostly creeks or is there a river? Southern Vermont really got hit, worse than NH. Connecticut got a lot of power outages. My area was largely spared (inland).

Has this made you think about any relocation plans?
avalon, first, so sorry for the loss of your friend. count me as one of those who laughed about the storm because it does seem they hype and hype and you watch for the "big one" and it doesn't come. however, as you illustrate, there really are terrible tragedies in so many of these things and for those affected, there is no hype. the worst case scenario does occur. i have a great respect for rushing water anywhere. i have watched culverts turn into white rapids and been silenced by the intensity of nature. It's terrifying.

NEG, on the relocation, I am astounded at how everywhere seems to be having freak weather. Not just this year but year after year. All the "givens" we have in our play book are being quickly modified. I don't think of tornadoes or earthquakes when I think of the mid-atlantic region but it's happening more and more.

When I think that I cancelled earthquake insurance on my mom's house a few months back, saying that was the weirdest thing in the world my dad had done, I never imagined a 5.9 earthquake would have its epicenter within 5 miles of her house.......followed by a microburst/tornado less than a week later. I am still shaking my head in astonishment (and relief that the house did not fall down).

None of this is within the norm and the scenario appears to be playing out in one community after another. Repeated weird weather. Hot temps for prolonged periods that are unrelenting/snowy winters that break every norm for accumulations and temps. Bizarre. Everytime I think "maybe here" , i pinch myself so I remember that the gorgeous days are not the norm.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
So sorry for the loss of your friend. Hurricanes, no matter how strong or weak, have tragic consequences. I shake my head when I hear talk of 'having a hurricane party' during a storm! Hurricanes can cause massive destruction over huge areas.

When I relocate, I will be out of hurricane danger and buy on a high piece of land. I've been through about 6 or 7 hurricanes, including the horrible Hurricane Andrew. The storm was bad enough, but few people realize the years (years!) of re-building that take place after a storm.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:24 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,085,138 times
Quote:
So sorry for the lost of your friend Avalon. I'm glad that you made it through okay.

Media has made us skeptics with their need to over dramatize and repeat the same story over and over but I'd still rather be warned and if we're fortunate it turns out to be not so bad or fewer people lose their lives because of the warnings. Something is wrong when we want the dire warnings to be accurate. If they don't warn the public then we're mad, if they do and it's not so bad, we're skeptic. Can't win. I got really annoyed when I saw comments calling people wimps on a news feed. Maybe that was the person who decided to surf in a hurricane and lost his life. Many people seem to be out of touch with the power of nature.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Here is another link to an article in the local paper about the hidden treasures of Lafayette:Hidden treasures (some not so hidden) put the 'great' in Greater Lafayette | Journal and Courier | jconline.com
POPCORN--You are not going to believe this--! I just got an email from one of my most wonderful (the most wonderful) former clients--she and her M.D. husband have been living for several years in the southwest, and guess where he just got a job at a hospital???? Lafayette!! I couldn't believe what a coincidence this is, that city must be "in the air." So now I am definitely visiting, after they settle in. The only thing I wonder about is tornadoes, as you know I am always wary, esp after having a good size one in a place where they are rare. And floods--isn't L on the Wabash? Has it flooded in your lifetime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement