U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-05-2011, 01:01 PM
 
2,627 posts, read 4,954,783 times
Reputation: 2225

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
POPCORN--You are not going to believe this--! I just got an email from one of my most wonderful (the most wonderful) former clients--she and her M.D. husband have been living for several years in the southwest, and guess where he just got a job at a hospital???? Lafayette!! I couldn't believe what a coincidence this is, that city must be "in the air." So now I am definitely visiting, after they settle in. The only thing I wonder about is tornadoes, as you know I am always wary, esp after having a good size one in a place where they are rare. And floods--isn't L on the Wabash? Has it flooded in your lifetime?
WHOA!!!!!! Doo doo doo doo doo doo doodoodooo (humming the theme song to the Twilight Zone.......)

Wow!!! Maybe it was meant to be. As I get off the floor......

Yes the Wabash River floods, but don't live near it! That's all! Just make sure that where you live is not in an area that can flood (no matter where you live)...of course Tornadoes.... try googling tornadoes in Lafayette, IN. Much of the area is on higher ground and would not be affected by a flood. There are actual hills and up and down driving in Laf. Something I have not seen in many years of driving in flat south Florida.

Are you sure they aren't moving to Lafayette, Louisiana????

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! (I'm writing all this with a big smile, NEG!)

 
Old 09-05-2011, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Olympia, WA
363 posts, read 426,829 times
Reputation: 704
Default my first post!

Well, after many months of reading this great thread, I thought I would finally post some of my story. Will try not to make it too long. But first let me say that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the comments and stories left here, you all sound like a great bunch of people that I can really relate to.

I am 62, married, and live in a small town (about 13,000) about 90 miles SE of Nashville. I work part-time and hope to retire some day soon. My husband is a retired truck driver. After 30 years of smoking, he has severe emphysema and COPD, with 10% lung function. He stays in the bed most of the day where he seems to be able to breathe easier. Needless to say, it is a very stressful situation. I am gone from home about 6 hours each day to work. I work so that I may have health insurance. He depends on me for so many things. It is so hard to see him like this as he is a tall, rugged man that has been suffering like this for years. I know one day he will probably pass on and I have plenty of time to think about my future, assuming he goes before me.

I was born and raised in So. CA, have lived in Grand Junction, CO, Olympia, WA, Prescott, AZ and now here in TN. I was with him on the truck the last 4 years before he retired (in 2000), so I have been fortunate enough to travel all over this country. We were living in Prescott (mile high altitude) when his breathing problems developed and thought the altitude was not helping much. He is originally from MS, and in all our travels, considering cost of living, weather, and beauty.....we decided on middle TN. Since we have been here though (moved here 5 years ago), we find the humidity plays havoc with his breathing, too. Go figure! But here we are and this is home....for now. There is no way he would consider a move with his health condition.

Middle TN is beautiful, the cost of housing is low (compared to other parts of the country), we are in the nursery capital of the world, so hardwood trees abound. Our original plans when we moved here was to FISH. The first year we were here we bought a boat and fished almost everyday. We had a camper and our intentions were to explore TN. After a year, his breathing problems had become so bad that we sold the camper and parked the boat. I went back to work so I could have health insurance, and here we are 5 years later.

I have left a lot of details out along the way (gee, hope I'm not writing too much on my first post!), but just wanted to give you a background of me! The thing I have in common with most of you, I assume, is that one day I am facing retirement and where I want to live. I am pretty sure that I don't want to stay here. I read back somewhere where a lady wanted to make all the decisions in her life for the first time. I can so relate. I have a daughter in WA, a son in CO, but neither of those places interest me (for personal reasons). I have no family here and just a few friends. The humidity here makes me want to leave. The summers are unbearable. We have a beautiful deck with 2 swings, and it is often too hot to sit out there. The mosquitos eat me alive if I try to sit out there in the evening. So that is a consideration too.

One thing that I DO know, from reading here, is that I want to downsize. I can picture myself in a cottage-type house or in a mobile home. I would like to live in a small town, but realize that important things are a good hospital and transportation system. I love to read and don't need to get out much, but I do like to go out and eat once in a while, something my husband is unable to do, and so we haven't for years. I really miss that.

I love to travel, and would love to do that in the future. So we'll see.

Well, I hope to jump in here and add a few posts now and then and continue to read and be a part of this great forum.
 
Old 09-05-2011, 01:45 PM
 
2,627 posts, read 4,954,783 times
Reputation: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl205 View Post
Well, after many months of reading this great thread, I thought I would finally post some of my story. Will try not to make it too long. But first let me say that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the comments and stories left here, you all sound like a great bunch of people that I can really relate to.

I am 62, married, and live in a small town (about 13,000) about 90 miles SE of Nashville. I work part-time and hope to retire some day soon. My husband is a retired truck driver. After 30 years of smoking, he has severe emphysema and COPD, with 10% lung function. He stays in the bed most of the day where he seems to be able to breathe easier. Needless to say, it is a very stressful situation. I am gone from home about 6 hours each day to work. I work so that I may have health insurance. He depends on me for so many things. It is so hard to see him like this as he is a tall, rugged man that has been suffering like this for years. I know one day he will probably pass on and I have plenty of time to think about my future, assuming he goes before me.

I was born and raised in So. CA, have lived in Grand Junction, CO, Olympia, WA, Prescott, AZ and now here in TN. I was with him on the truck the last 4 years before he retired (in 2000), so I have been fortunate enough to travel all over this country. We were living in Prescott (mile high altitude) when his breathing problems developed and thought the altitude was not helping much. He is originally from MS, and in all our travels, considering cost of living, weather, and beauty.....we decided on middle TN. Since we have been here though (moved here 5 years ago), we find the humidity plays havoc with his breathing, too. Go figure! But here we are and this is home....for now. There is no way he would consider a move with his health condition.

Middle TN is beautiful, the cost of housing is low (compared to other parts of the country), we are in the nursery capital of the world, so hardwood trees abound. Our original plans when we moved here was to FISH. The first year we were here we bought a boat and fished almost everyday. We had a camper and our intentions were to explore TN. After a year, his breathing problems had become so bad that we sold the camper and parked the boat. I went back to work so I could have health insurance, and here we are 5 years later.

I have left a lot of details out along the way (gee, hope I'm not writing too much on my first post!), but just wanted to give you a background of me! The thing I have in common with most of you, I assume, is that one day I am facing retirement and where I want to live. I am pretty sure that I don't want to stay here. I read back somewhere where a lady wanted to make all the decisions in her life for the first time. I can so relate. I have a daughter in WA, a son in CO, but neither of those places interest me (for personal reasons). I have no family here and just a few friends. The humidity here makes me want to leave. The summers are unbearable. We have a beautiful deck with 2 swings, and it is often too hot to sit out there. The mosquitos eat me alive if I try to sit out there in the evening. So that is a consideration too.

One thing that I DO know, from reading here, is that I want to downsize. I can picture myself in a cottage-type house or in a mobile home. I would like to live in a small town, but realize that important things are a good hospital and transportation system. I love to read and don't need to get out much, but I do like to go out and eat once in a while, something my husband is unable to do, and so we haven't for years. I really miss that.

I love to travel, and would love to do that in the future. So we'll see.

Well, I hope to jump in here and add a few posts now and then and continue to read and be a part of this great forum.
Welcome tngirl205! You will find that many of us are still searching for the place to retire. I would love to downsize to a small cottage-type house. Public transportation can become very important as we age. Many small towns do not have good public transportation systems.

Welcome and my thoughts are with you and your husband during this difficult time.
 
Old 09-05-2011, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Olympia, WA
363 posts, read 426,829 times
Reputation: 704
Thank you popcorn for the welcome. I feel at home already!
 
Old 09-05-2011, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post

Are you sure they aren't moving to Lafayette, Louisiana????

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! (I'm writing all this with a big smile, NEG!)
Nope, it's Indiana. In fact, she just sent another email (after I wrote and told her about a CD-friend from there) telling me they are driving there from the southwest this coming weekend, into a rental till they find a place to buy. I told her to check out West Lafayette as they can afford a more upscale place. I wonder which hospital it is?

What is Tippecanoe (and Tyler too)???
 
Old 09-05-2011, 03:15 PM
 
2,627 posts, read 4,954,783 times
Reputation: 2225
Tippecanoe is the name of the county in which Lafayette & W. L. are located. This is from wikipedia:
"Tippecanoe and Tyler too", originally published as "Tip and Ty", was a very popular and influential campaign song of the Whig Party's colorful Log Cabin Campaign in the 1840 United States presidential election. Its lyrics sang the praises of Whig candidates William Henry Harrison (the "hero of Tippecanoe") and John Tyler, while denigrating incumbent Democrat Martin Van Buren.

(my words here) William H. Harrison fought the Indians (the Prophet & Tecumseh) in the area of Battle Ground, IN. Although the Indians surprised the whites very early in the morning, they were defeated by Harrison's men. This year is the 200th anniversary of the battle. In November there is going to be a big celebration or remembrance of the event in Battle Ground. This was the Battle of Tippecanoe.

Last edited by popcorn247; 09-05-2011 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: additional info
 
Old 09-05-2011, 03:26 PM
 
2,627 posts, read 4,954,783 times
Reputation: 2225
This video about Fort Ouiatenon and the Feast was just posted on FB.....has some good info in it:

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...mi6Ia_M_vnII0Q

a nice view of the Wabash.......such history along this river...

Last edited by popcorn247; 09-05-2011 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: added info
 
Old 09-05-2011, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Arizona
419 posts, read 658,273 times
Reputation: 862
A warm welcome to you tngirl205! So glad you found us.

Thank you for sharing your story. You will soon learn that there are so many people struggling or facing life changing challenges as they approach or are in retirement. It is so comforting to know that we are not alone and there is so much support on this thread as well as the other threads on the retirement forum.

Best wishes to you as you continue on your life's journey.
 
Old 09-05-2011, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Tippecanoe is the name of the county in which Lafayette & W. L. are located. This is from wikipedia:
"Tippecanoe and Tyler too", originally published as "Tip and Ty", was a very popular and influential campaign song of the Whig Party's colorful Log Cabin Campaign in the 1840 United States presidential election. Its lyrics sang the praises of Whig candidates William Henry Harrison (the "hero of Tippecanoe") and John Tyler, while denigrating incumbent Democrat Martin Van Buren.
Very interesting history, and the Wabash tradition is so cool.

Since my wish was once, many years ago, to go to post-grad in Bloomington, I'm wondering what you know about that city, and also South Bend (home of Notre Dame). Are these two much bigger that Lafayette? Is there any way to compare them? (I tried to find info on the Indiana forum but couldn't find the comparisons I was looking for).
 
Old 09-05-2011, 04:27 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 3,086,141 times
Reputation: 924
Welcome tngirl205! Thanks for sharing your story. I lived in Olympia for five years before moving back to the southwest. I often miss the sense of community that exists there especially the Procession of the Species and the free art studio. I loved the town but not the rainy winters although the PNW is the only other place I'd want to live if I had to move. I'd just have to set up those sun lights in my pottery studio.

It sounds like you have lots of good information from traveling for when you are ready to retire and move. I can't take humidity anymore. Or heat. or cold... I'd take cold over heat. Today is perfect--sunny, around 70.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top