U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 08:47 AM

62 posts, read 88,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
An update on my new location--

Three months after the move things are looking up. The summer was a drag (I hate summer, so boring and I hate hot weather even if it's sunny). Now I can feel fall in the air. It's actually been raining nonstop, fine with me as the air is cool and clean. I'm so looking forward to the beautiful New England days of Sept and Oct and Nov, one of the reasons I stay here. My property taxes are higher here but I'm driving at least half as much if not less, and it's so great to have everything I need here in town. The college bus has started up and it's free, runs between towns.I'll try it out this month. Lots still to do on the house but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I highly recommend a town that is sizeable to have everything in it you need, with close access to other towns, and one that is culturally vibrant all year long esp in winter months. I will look forward to going to free events at the college and other places. Also may look into volunteering--haven't done that in years...and...tentatively, very tentatively, actually thinking of trying out a church in town (haven'd done that since age 20). I just hope it's not too clicky....(cliquey??)
So nice to hear you are getting settled. I love fall with the crisp air ,the beautiful color of the leaves--would love to take a tour to see the Fall foliage in New England It sounds like you have found a good place to land-much as I love country living it is nice to be within a reasonable distance to cultural activities ie for my Wagner operas it usually means a trip way down south to London or to Europe(thank goodness for all the budget airlines) I love Maine but from what I have read the disadvantage is you have to travel quite a distance for many things.
I have another city data question how do you find out who gave you a rep so that you can reciprocate.?

Old 09-08-2011, 11:29 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,054,651 times
NEGirl, I do hope you will take a chance and check out your church...I came back to the Catholic church about 15 years ago (after being away for many many years) and it was one of the best things I've ever done. I know our parish has alot of activities for seniors...I can't participate in most of them because I still work full time but they have so much going on, as well as volunteer opportunities. One thing I like is that you can be as involved as you want (or not), without anyone bugging you. I think I just sat there in the pew for like the first year!

I too love the fall (hence my name) and the cool weather...don't like hot or hot/humid weather at all. That's one of the things that keeps me from retiring to North Carolina...I just know I wouldn't like those long summers, living in air conditioning. Ick.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:44 AM

363 posts, read 426,170 times
Thank you flyingscot47 for your warm welcome. I am so glad I took the step to post and share some of me with the rest of you fine people. I am the same way about checking this site everyday, a really nice thing to look forward to. I am Scottish/Irish/German and would love to visit there someday. I watch any tv show I can about those countries. I have a "1,000 Places to See Before you Die" calendar on my desk at work and get to do a little "traveling" each day and keep the dream alive.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post
So nice to hear you are getting settled. I love fall with the crisp air ,the beautiful color of the leaves--would love to take a tour to see the Fall foliage in New England It sounds like you have found a good place to land-much as I love country living it is nice to be within a reasonable distance to cultural activities ie for my Wagner operas it usually means a trip way down south to London or to Europe(thank goodness for all the budget airlines) I love Maine but from what I have read the disadvantage is you have to travel quite a distance for many things.
I have another city data question how do you find out who gave you a rep so that you can reciprocate.?
In many cities and towns, including some very small towns with great movie theaters in New England, you can see high-definition (HD) live and repeat broadcasts of the Metropolitan Opera productions. I did not like the sets for their latest Die Walkure (Wagner). They were so bad I almost laughed and they probably spent a fortune on them. Those poor Rhine maidens were hanging onto their slope for dear life! I've also seen some of the greatest concerts in small towns (usually college towns), so don't write off the small towns where you can be at a fine cultural event one minute and in amazing countryside the next. I've found that Maine has a lot going on in classical/chamber music including summer. Some of the campuses have great programs.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:48 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,084,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post
As far as I know whoever reps you has to leave their name when they give the rep. Sometimes I just rep without putting my initials. I just rep everyone I like. Unfortunately they don't let me rep my favorites again and again unless I spread it around and I guess I'm not on here enough to spread it around.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:56 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
As far as I know whoever reps you has to leave their name when they give the rep. Sometimes I just rep without putting my initials. I just rep everyone I like. Unfortunately they don't let me rep my favorites again and again unless I spread it around and I guess I'm not on here enough to spread it around.
I don't think they do. I have gotten many reps without names and sometimes I leave mine and sometimes I don't.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I don't think they do. I have gotten many reps without names and sometimes I leave mine and sometimes I don't.
I didn't make that clear. Leaving their name is the only way you would know who it was from--I don't think there is any other way to know.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:39 PM

62 posts, read 88,054 times
Default So many choices :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
In many cities and towns, including some very small towns with great movie theaters in New England, you can see high-definition (HD) live and repeat broadcasts of the Metropolitan Opera productions. I did not like the sets for their latest Die Walkure (Wagner). They were so bad I almost laughed and they probably spent a fortune on them. Those poor Rhine maidens were hanging onto their slope for dear life! I've also seen some of the greatest concerts in small towns (usually college towns), so don't write off the small towns where you can be at a fine cultural event one minute and in amazing countryside the next. I've found that Maine has a lot going on in classical/chamber music including summer. Some of the campuses have great programs.
Yes I do agree that very often small towns can amaze you with all the cultural things on offer. I have also laughed at some of the outllandish costumes and sets in some of the productions of Wagner's operas-what on earth would the maestro think I wonder If you ever get a chance check out the Valencia Ring Cycle Zubin Mehta conducting and staged by La Fura Dels Baus--Valencia opera house is so beautiful even more so than the one in Sydney. You mentioned shuttle buses can they be used by everyone ?

Old 09-08-2011, 04:05 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I didn't make that clear. Leaving their name is the only way you would know who it was from--I don't think there is any other way to know.
Ah, I see. Yes I didn't get that.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Ah, I see. Yes I didn't get that.
When I reread it I didn't get it either. Comes from typing too fast and hitting enter without proofreading.

Just give us all lots of reps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement