U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 10:59 AM

28,494 posts, read 62,136,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There are mountains in Frederick County??
The Catoctin Range
which among things includes the Appalachian trail and Camp David.

As a kid I went to summer camp up there.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:46 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,216,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There are mountains in Frederick County?? Or do you mean mountains in WV?

If I may ask, what is WV like? It seems to be a state that doesn't get much attention.
As posted by MrRational, there are mountains (and valleys) in Frederick County. (Thanks for the link, MR)

I'm no expert on WV. My recent trip was to Morgantown, home of West Virginia University. (Insert obligatory "Go Mountaineers!") It seemed nice enough but isn't a place I'd retire. Extremely hilly and gets a huge amount of snow in the winter. However, I did enjoy a delicious meal one evening in a restaurant overlooking the town. Great view, great service and great company.

When I lived in Frederick County, I frequented Shepherdstown, Harpers Ferry, Berkley Springs and Martinsburg. Shepherdstown is a lovely college town. Harpers Ferry, of course, is a historical "touristy" town. Berkley Springs is a vacation destination. All three are very different but nice. Relative to those three, Martinsburg is a bit "poorer", somewhat similar to Hagerstown, MD.

The rest of my experience in WV is limited to driving through Charleston (on the way to Kentucky) and through Beckley. In general, I think WV is great for those who enjoy the outdoors, are seeking a low cost of living and/or solitude. There is little zoning and few, if any, regulations. I would NOT recommend WV to a non-West Virginian who is hell bent on preserving the environment or regulating their neighbors' activities. West Virginia is beautiful and the people are friendly, but it is relatively poor and coal mining still provides a living for a significant number of West Virginians.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:44 PM

895 posts, read 1,330,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
As posted by MrRational, there are mountains (and valleys) in Frederick County. (Thanks for the link, MR)

I'm no expert on WV. My recent trip was to Morgantown, home of West Virginia University. (Insert obligatory "Go Mountaineers!") It seemed nice enough but isn't a place I'd retire. Extremely hilly and gets a huge amount of snow in the winter. However, I did enjoy a delicious meal one evening in a restaurant overlooking the town. Great view, great service and great company.

When I lived in Frederick County, I frequented Shepherdstown, Harpers Ferry, Berkley Springs and Martinsburg. Shepherdstown is a lovely college town. Harpers Ferry, of course, is a historical "touristy" town. Berkley Springs is a vacation destination. All three are very different but nice. Relative to those three, Martinsburg is a bit "poorer", somewhat similar to Hagerstown, MD.

The rest of my experience in WV is limited to driving through Charleston (on the way to Kentucky) and through Beckley. In general, I think WV is great for those who enjoy the outdoors, are seeking a low cost of living and/or solitude. There is little zoning and few, if any, regulations. I would NOT recommend WV to a non-West Virginian who is hell bent on preserving the environment or regulating their neighbors' activities. West Virginia is beautiful and the people are friendly, but it is relatively poor and coal mining still provides a living for a significant number of West Virginians.
could just be myth (perpetuated by virginians) but i think wv is one of the highest taxed states due to the poverty.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:21 PM

250 posts, read 648,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post

You put these two very separate activities/concerns in one sentence. I read and reread, I admit I can be dense at times, but I wonder if I am missing your point as I cannot understand what the one has to do with the other.

Last edited by Morwyn_7; 09-15-2011 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 09-15-2011, 06:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morwyn_7 View Post
You put these two very separate activities/concerns in one sentence. I read and reread, I admit I can be dense at times, but I wonder if I am missing your point as I cannot understand what the one has to do with the other.
In other words, the "environment" is not so high on the list of priorities there, as that state makes a living from mining. And the building codes and property codes (trash burning, etc) may not be too stringent either, if they exist at all. A number of states are this way, I'm glad I don't live in one of them.

So if you are a "liberal" environmentalist, you may not get very far in WV. West Virginians, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morwyn_7 View Post
Sorry. Sometimes (a lot of times?) my writing doesn't keep up with my thoughts. NEG is correct. But I was also thinking of one of C-D's current threads "What are your pet peeves and what makes a neighborhood trashy?" I didn't see any "trashy" neighborhoods in Morgantown, but it did stick in my mind that a lot of the posters on C-D would not be happy campers if they moved to WV. In general, it has a "live and let live" vibe, and that is reflected in the lack of zoning and housing regulations. (Makeshift fire escapes, couches on almost every front porch in homes rented to students, etc.)

Old 09-16-2011, 11:54 AM

6,394 posts, read 3,352,334 times
Lenora,
Sorry, this is off topic but something I need to know: How does one put a sentence they construct that substitutes for the link which you just did for the CD link "What are you pet peeves....."??
Thanks!

Old 09-16-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Lenora,
Sorry, this is off topic but something I need to know: How does one put a sentence they construct that substitutes for the link which you just did for the CD link "What are you pet peeves....."??
Thanks!
I didn't think anything was considered off topic in this thread. So, there is probably an easier way to do this, but I simply opened up the city data thread in a second window and linked to it within my post, the same as I would for any other link. Does this make sense? If not, I can try to type it out step-by-step, but I suck at that. Perhaps one of our C-D sisters could explain it better, if necessary.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:09 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,229,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Lenora,
Thanks!

See this post in the CD Faqs:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/1...yperlinks.html

Old 09-17-2011, 09:08 AM

6,394 posts, read 3,352,334 times
Thanks for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement