U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 06:57 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,395,135 times

Advertisements

Ha! I'm watching "The First Wives Club" - gotta love a bunch of feisty broads

Old 09-17-2011, 11:40 PM

688 posts, read 1,060,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Welcome. I glanced over some of your prior posts and saw you are currently in Gaithersburg MD. Aaarggh! I'm not surprised you are homesick. I HATE the D.C. Area, particularly Montgomery County and N. VA. I spent 28 years in a small town in Frederick County and moved out a few years after the D.C. folks moved in. My daughter managed to live a whole 2 years in N. VA before bailing out. I only visited her 1 time while she was there. Did I say I HATE the D.C. Metro area? I currently have a contract that requires my presence in Rockville every few months and I find myself dreading the trip.

I spent the last few days visiting my daughter in WV. I drove through my former stomping grounds in western Frederick County, fighting off the acute sense of loss. Even though I was born and raised in the Baltimore area, I miss the mountains and the country folk.

All of this is to say I feel really bad for you and I hope your stay in the D.C. area is a short one.
Thanks for the sympathy Lenora! I hope it is short as well...

Old 09-18-2011, 10:29 AM

895 posts, read 1,332,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
thanks for the reminder! i need to add that to my favorite movies list! definitely sparked me into singing "you don't own me" with vigor
One of the high points in that movie.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:46 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,395,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
thanks for the reminder! i need to add that to my favorite movies list! definitely sparked me into singing "you don't own me" with vigor
One of the high points in that movie.
It's one of my favorites too - I have it in both VHS & DVD.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:20 AM

62 posts, read 88,086 times
Smile Movies you can watch over and over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
A great favorite of mine also. Another movie I love is Shirley Valentine--this movie reminds me that many times our dreams get sidetracked in the course of our lives but we must never give up on them--who kows what is around the next bend in the road.
One thing that drives me crazy is why dvds have to be Region 1, Region 2 etc but funnily enough I have a set of dvds of the Ring Cycle in Valencia Spain and funnily enough they are Region O meaning they can be played in any country--this drives me crazy lol-- rant is now over

Old 09-20-2011, 07:11 AM

895 posts, read 1,332,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post
A great favorite of mine also. Another movie I love is Shirley Valentine--this movie reminds me that many times our dreams get sidetracked in the course of our lives but we must never give up on them--who kows what is around the next bend in the road.
One thing that drives me crazy is why dvds have to be Region 1, Region 2 etc but funnily enough I have a set of dvds of the Ring Cycle in Valencia Spain and funnily enough they are Region O meaning they can be played in any country--this drives me crazy lol-- rant is now over
I've never heard of Shirley Valentine but just snuck a peek on IMBD or whatever and it sounds delightful! shall likely netflix that one.

Actually, I was watching clips the other day showing all sorts of movies and I thought how many actresses are admirably aging - there was just something so totally classic and it felt nice to be a part of the club...

Old 09-24-2011, 11:35 AM

363 posts, read 426,829 times
Default Single women cruising alone

I have a question to single women who have retired alone. Have you ever been on an ocean/river cruise alone?

I ask this because one of the gals in my office is going on a cruise with her family to the Bahamas and it got me to thinking.....one of the things I would like to do before I die is go on a cruise.

I think it would possibly be more enjoyable with a companion, but I would be willing to give it a go by myself, if ever presented with the opportunity.

Do any of you on this forum have any comments, one way or another?

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2011, 11:46 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,954,783 times
I haven't gone alone, but back in the mid 1980's I went on three cruises (in 3 years) with an older female friend. Much of the time we were not together, but did eat meals together and go on shore excursions together. I loved cruises! Especially the ones with days at sea....a wonderful way to relax out on deck and read and just look up and see nothing but the beautiful ocean.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:47 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,954,783 times
The staff on the cruise lines are super friendly and I'm sure there are activities for singles. Lots of fun, you can do as much or as little as you desire.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:31 PM

363 posts, read 426,829 times
Thanks popcorn, glad to hear from someone else who loves cruises! I can just picture it. Sounds like right up my alley!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement