U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 06:21 AM

62 posts, read 88,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl205 View Post
I have a question to single women who have retired alone. Have you ever been on an ocean/river cruise alone?

I ask this because one of the gals in my office is going on a cruise with her family to the Bahamas and it got me to thinking.....one of the things I would like to do before I die is go on a cruise.

I think it would possibly be more enjoyable with a companion, but I would be willing to give it a go by myself, if ever presented with the opportunity.

Do any of you on this forum have any comments, one way or another?

Thanks!
Great question. I too have never gone on a cruise but am thinking it should be added to my "Bucket List"-the idea of a floating hotel is appealing --of course being able to share it with a companion would be nice but like you I am willing to try it solo. The big disadvantage of going solo has been the much higher cost compared to say two sharing a cabin but I read an article the other day about one of the cruise lines planning to introduce studio cabins in the next year or so--(now if I could just find that article lol ) I think it was the Princess Line.
Two particular cruises I would like to try are a Nile Cruise and a Norway cruise to see The Northern Lights.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:44 PM

363 posts, read 426,627 times
Ok flyingscot, let's add it to our "Bucket List" and hope we each have the opportunity to fulfill our dream!

Old 09-25-2011, 01:44 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,234,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl205 View Post
I have a question to single women who have retired alone. Have you ever been on an ocean/river cruise alone?

I ask this because one of the gals in my office is going on a cruise with her family to the Bahamas and it got me to thinking.....one of the things I would like to do before I die is go on a cruise.

I think it would possibly be more enjoyable with a companion, but I would be willing to give it a go by myself, if ever presented with the opportunity.

Do any of you on this forum have any comments, one way or another?

Thanks!
If you sign up for the cruise as part of an organized group, they usually offer a roommate service. At least they used to.

Went on 3 cruises in the 90's - Alaska, Caribbean, and Mexico - as part of a science fiction convention. Didn't know who my roommate would be until I got to the dock. Heck, didn't know anyone who would be on the ship! One roommate was a non-stop talker, one was a passing-in-the-hall acquaintance, and one I only saw sleeping, LOL. You don't spend that much time in the room anyway (They're TINY!), so you can socialize if you want or not with the roommate.

I believe Holland America Cruise Lines still offers a Single Share Cabin - you agree to share a room with another single guest of the same sex and pay the per person, double occupancy rate. If they don't find a roommate for you, you only pay the per person, double occupancy rate.

These ships are floating cities - you wouldn't have trouble finding someone to socialize with, if that's your thing. Or curl up on a deckchair or in a lounge somewhere with a good book!

Old 09-25-2011, 08:38 PM

121 posts, read 253,763 times
Default Women on a cruise alone, what could happen?

I've taken two cruises alone and had a grand time! The ship staff pre-arranged my dinner seating with some other single female travelers, a single male, a mother and daughter, a couple and their neice. The company was great! There were men hired by the cruise boat company who kept pestering me to dance and I loved it! I never once felt lonely or out of place. There were plenty of activities to keep me engaged and the shore excursions were awesome! Don't let a little thing like traveling solo keep you from adventure! I've met lifetime friends from one of the two cruises I was on. They're a British couple with a great sense of fun! I should add that both cruises were on smaller ships, one haled out of Great Britain. Both these cruislines travel the globe and could be classified as "boutique" ships. You get more personalized service on the smaller ships but expect to pay more. If you're traveling alone, it's not so bad. I didn't even have to pay a single supplement which more then made up for the higher initial cost. On the large cruise ships expect to pay double occupancy rates for less personal service. Sometimes the best does cost the least! Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and live in the moment, no expectations, no fears, just the lure of adventure.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:05 AM

69 posts, read 214,255 times
Come to Venice, FL. I have a friend (late 60's) that recently moved from Kentucky, widowed, retired, single and alone to Venice, Florida (which has been a location where she always wanted to live) and wow! she has a very active social life. She started going to her community events (pot luck, cards, pool parties and the new residents dinner (that happens once a month). She also joined the Newcomers Club, which has many people in the same boat, she has also joined clubs around the community (there are many to choose from) especially offering all the Arts and Theater, that the Venice and Sarasota has to offer. This area allows one to be as busy or as laid back as you so choose. Most people that live here are from somewhere else so, you become easily adopted as family and gain many close friends. Yes, we have the snowbirds that congest our roads for a short period but it's not that bad and it's great for the economy. Shhhh, our area is still the hidden Florida secret and isn't far from the Number 1 beach in the world, Siesta Key (just a short drive north)! Come visit, you'll see, it is Paradise!!!

Old 09-26-2011, 02:08 PM

363 posts, read 426,627 times
Gandalara, don't think I would want to share a room with a stranger. I am a pretty social person but can also enjoy time alone. I also would like to do the Alaska cruise, I've heard it's beautiful.

Fairwinds, thanks for your great reply! Sounds great, I do have a sense of adventure and have definitely decided I need to do this sometime in the future!!

Old 09-26-2011, 07:53 PM

205 posts, read 359,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post
A great favorite of mine also. Another movie I love is Shirley Valentine--this movie reminds me that many times our dreams get sidetracked in the course of our lives but we must never give up on them--who kows what is around the next bend in the road.
One thing that drives me crazy is why dvds have to be Region 1, Region 2 etc but funnily enough I have a set of dvds of the Ring Cycle in Valencia Spain and funnily enough they are Region O meaning they can be played in any country--this drives me crazy lol-- rant is now over
Shirley Valentine is one of my all time favorite movies. First saw it in the movie theater when it first came out (about 1989). Then bought it in VHS and now have it in DVR. I can practically recite the lines by heart. It was actually first a play and Pauline Collins played Shirley in both the stage and movie versions. The Play and Screenplay were actually written by a man, Willy Russell. Very insightful. I always wished there had been a sequel about what happened to Joe after his visit to Greece. It would be interesting to see if he would jump into water that deep! I have watched this movie at least 30 times (no kidding) and still every once in a while need a "Shirley" night - me, Shirl, and a bottle of wine (oh, I'm wicked I know)

Old 09-26-2011, 09:24 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,390,824 times
If i really wanted to go on a cruise - i wouldnt mind going on one alone.

My sisters have gone on them, but not alone. Their favs are Alaska, Panama Canal, the Yangtze River in China, and the Greek Islands.

Those are the only ones i'd consider, as i really dont like the thought of being out at sea on the ship. But those would be great experiences.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:03 AM

Thumbs up Cruising The High Seas :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
If you sign up for the cruise as part of an organized group, they usually offer a roommate service. At least they used to.

Went on 3 cruises in the 90's - Alaska, Caribbean, and Mexico - as part of a science fiction convention. Didn't know who my roommate would be until I got to the dock. Heck, didn't know anyone who would be on the ship! One roommate was a non-stop talker, one was a passing-in-the-hall acquaintance, and one I only saw sleeping, LOL. You don't spend that much time in the room anyway (They're TINY!), so you can socialize if you want or not with the roommate.

I believe Holland America Cruise Lines still offers a Single Share Cabin - you agree to share a room with another single guest of the same sex and pay the per person, double occupancy rate. If they don't find a roommate for you, you only pay the per person, double occupancy rate.

These ships are floating cities - you wouldn't have trouble finding someone to socialize with, if that's your thing. Or curl up on a deckchair or in a lounge somewhere with a good book!
That is interesting information I had not heard of single share cabin rate--I cant see why more cruise lines dont offer this as in todays society many people are solo travellers. In the UK we have at least two companies that offer tours for singles without the single room supplement most people travelling on their own have to pay at hotels.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:17 AM

Default Inspirational Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
Shirley Valentine is one of my all time favorite movies. First saw it in the movie theater when it first came out (about 1989). Then bought it in VHS and now have it in DVR. I can practically recite the lines by heart. It was actually first a play and Pauline Collins played Shirley in both the stage and movie versions. The Play and Screenplay were actually written by a man, Willy Russell. Very insightful. I always wished there had been a sequel about what happened to Joe after his visit to Greece. It would be interesting to see if he would jump into water that deep! I have watched this movie at least 30 times (no kidding) and still every once in a while need a "Shirley" night - me, Shirl, and a bottle of wine (oh, I'm wicked I know)
I too have watched it many, many times (to me that is the mark of a great film-it never gets old)I feel it has great meaning for many women who devote their lives to others and somewhere along the way--their girlhood dreams fall by the wayside-but like you it left me wanting more--what did she do in her new life in Greece? etc and sadly enough there are some tourists just like the ones portrayed in the film who travel to wonderful places like Greece, Spain etc and just want fish and chips
I didnt know the screenplay was written by a man--as you said so insightful----
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement