U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 04:24 AM

62 posts, read 88,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftLadyKim View Post
Come to Venice, FL. I have a friend (late 60's) that recently moved from Kentucky, widowed, retired, single and alone to Venice, Florida (which has been a location where she always wanted to live) and wow! she has a very active social life. She started going to her community events (pot luck, cards, pool parties and the new residents dinner (that happens once a month). She also joined the Newcomers Club, which has many people in the same boat, she has also joined clubs around the community (there are many to choose from) especially offering all the Arts and Theater, that the Venice and Sarasota has to offer. This area allows one to be as busy or as laid back as you so choose. Most people that live here are from somewhere else so, you become easily adopted as family and gain many close friends. Yes, we have the snowbirds that congest our roads for a short period but it's not that bad and it's great for the economy. Shhhh, our area is still the hidden Florida secret and isn't far from the Number 1 beach in the world, Siesta Key (just a short drive north)! Come visit, you'll see, it is Paradise!!!
Venice sounds very interesting---this is what I love about this thread always another place to consider moving to or just visiting. I have never visited Florida but it is on my list. I talked to someone at Sacramento Airport who lived in Tarpon Springs and it seemed like another interesting place to visit--what with the sponge docks etc. How does it compare to the Venice area?

Old 09-27-2011, 06:02 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post

I too have watched it many, many times (to me that is the mark of a great film-it never gets old)I feel it has great meaning for many women who devote their lives to others and somewhere along the way--their girlhood dreams fall by the wayside-but like you it left me wanting more--what did she do in her new life in Greece? etc and sadly enough there are some tourists just like the ones portrayed in the film who travel to wonderful places like Greece, Spain etc and just want fish and chips
I didnt know the screenplay was written by a man--as you said so insightful----
I have never seen this - can't believe I missd it. It is now on my list to pick up.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:23 PM

8,140 posts, read 7,647,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post

I too have watched it many, many times (to me that is the mark of a great film-it never gets old)I feel it has great meaning for many women who devote their lives to others and somewhere along the way--their girlhood dreams fall by the wayside-but like you it left me wanting more--what did she do in her new life in Greece? etc and sadly enough there are some tourists just like the ones portrayed in the film who travel to wonderful places like Greece, Spain etc and just want fish and chips
I didnt know the screenplay was written by a man--as you said so insightful----
Count me in as one that saw that film some years ago and very much enjoyed it.

As far as the talk of going on a cruise alone, if ever I had an interest in going on a cruise, I'd have no problem going it alone, I've vacationed alone in the past, so I see it no differently. I just have no interest in cruises, was invited on an all expense paid on this past summer and I turned it down. Some people don't like planes, I don't like the idea of being on a ship that far out at sea for more than a day with no exit. For years one of my best friend and I kept trying to plan a cruise till I realized deep down inside I really had no desire to trapped on a ship for days at a time. This year I fessed up to her as well, that she just as well forget about me joining her. I'll take her on a day cruise for her next b-day to make it up to her.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:26 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,220,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Count me in as one that saw that film some years ago and very much enjoyed it.

As far as the talk of going on a cruise alone, if ever I had an interest in going on a cruise, I'd have no problem going it alone, I've vacationed alone in the past, so I see it no differently. I just have no interest in cruises, was invited on an all expense paid on this past summer and I turned it down. Some people don't like planes, I don't like the idea of being on a ship that far out at sea for more than a day with no exit. For years one of my best friend and I kept trying to plan a cruise till I realized deep down inside I really had no desire to trapped on a ship for days at a time. This year I fessed up to her as well, that she just as well forget about me joining her. I'll take her on a day cruise for her next b-day to make it up to her.
That is EXACTLY why I recently turned down an invitation to cruise to Bermuda with my sister and our friend! They both thought I was nuts; I thought they might be right. It is with great joy that I find I am not the only one who would feel trapped at sea.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:06 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
That is EXACTLY why I recently turned down an invitation to cruise to Bermuda with my sister and our friend! They both thought I was nuts; I thought they might be right. It is with great joy that I find I am not the only one who would feel trapped at sea.
Big chickens! I went on a Windjammer sail ship to the Caribbean and the first night we had a really bad storm. We slept on deck where they put barrels around the side so we wouldn't go over board. Scarey & fun. Woke up to them raising the sails and seagulls flying above. The captain let me steer the ship one night (that should have scared everyone). We had Stanley the bartender that would let you make your own drinks - so much more fun than the stuffy type cruises. No dressing up and the crew took us with them off shore to the non-tourist places. I'd do it again.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Big chickens! I went on a Windjammer sail ship to the Caribbean and the first night we had a really bad storm. We slept on deck where they put barrels around the side so we wouldn't go over board. Scarey & fun. Woke up to them raising the sails and seagulls flying above. The captain let me steer the ship one night (that should have scared everyone). We had Stanley the bartender that would let you make your own drinks - so much more fun than the stuffy type cruises. No dressing up and the crew took us with them off shore to the non-tourist places. I'd do it again.
LOL, can I use my vertigo as an excuse .. No? OK. I enjoy sailing, just not being trapped and confined out at sea for days on end. My imagination would start to get the best of me before we even set sail.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:15 PM

4,407 posts, read 5,929,861 times
Don't feel bad, TRosa. I've never been on a cruise and probably never will. I get seasick at the least little thing. Can't go on rides that spin, get dizzy/nauseous at IMAX theaters or 3D, etc. I've never wanted to take a chance on a cruise....too afraid I'll be sick and it will ruin my vacation. I've heard all the usual stuff about "ships are so big, you don't feel a thing", or "do the patch", etc., but I also get side-effects from the least little thing. The only time I was going to take a chance on a cruise was when my then-BF was paying for it. Even at that, I was afraid I'd be sick and ruin his trip. Thankfully, we broke up before I had to worry about it.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:18 AM

363 posts, read 426,829 times
Default Cruising

Well, I appreciate all the comments, pro and con. I'm still going to put it on my list of things to do. The only time I have been "at sea" was when I was a teenager in So. Cal, and our class took a boat over to Catalina Island. Ha...I remember all the boys were hung over the side, puking their guts out, all the girls laughing at them!!

I may decide after one big trip that cruising is not for me, but I'll give it a try when the time comes and see how it goes!!

Old 10-01-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl205 View Post
Well, I appreciate all the comments, pro and con. I'm still going to put it on my list of things to do. The only time I have been "at sea" was when I was a teenager in So. Cal, and our class took a boat over to Catalina Island. Ha...I remember all the boys were hung over the side, puking their guts out, all the girls laughing at them!!

I may decide after one big trip that cruising is not for me, but I'll give it a try when the time comes and see how it goes!!
I so sorry if my comments came off as unencouraging, that wasn't the intent. I was just joining in on the general conversation about cruises wanting to be apart of that fun. I am so happy for you and any of the other gals that enjoy such voyages, just expressing my phobic, (control issues,) reasons for not liking to take part in the activity.

I hope you have a blast and bring back lots of pictures to share with us.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:41 PM

363 posts, read 426,829 times
No TRosa, I appreciate your comments and your honesty!! It will be a while, I'm sure, that I have an opportunity to go on a cruise. When and if I do, I will be sure to share the good, the bad, and the photos with all of you!!

No worries, I do not take your comments as unencouraging at all. Thanks for your thoughts!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement