Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2011, 03:32 AM

30,395 posts, read 16,117,861 times

Advertisements

slight variation but has anyone ever lived on a house boat? I'd like to try that (no cruises for me!) but I think a house boat would be great.

or not?

Old 10-02-2011, 01:18 PM

8,753 posts, read 9,445,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
slight variation but has anyone ever lived on a house boat? I'd like to try that (no cruises for me!) but I think a house boat would be great.

or not?
Thought about it once or twice, probably could handle it on a docked boathouse. It's one of those romantacised fantacies I've had in the past, not sure how I would handle it in the real world, but it sure sounded like fun in my head.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:17 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,404,731 times
Quote:

or not?

Well, the average price for one in Seattle is probably wa-ay past my pain threshold.

Here's one I could afford though ... Pied-a-terre on the water!

(Would Tom Hanks live next door? )

Old 10-02-2011, 06:40 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,884,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Thought about it once or twice, probably could handle it on a docked boathouse. It's one of those romantacised fantacies I've had in the past, not sure how I would handle it in the real world, but it sure sounded like fun in my head.
I used to see houseboats on a river in Oregon and often wondered what it would be like to live on one. I've also seen shows on TV where people lived on houseboats or were thinking about buying one. I used to think about a cabin in the woods too and that is also way over romanticised sometimes. I did it for five years, off the grid, and so much for THAT fantasy! lol But, I'd try a houseboat if the opportunity came along.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:42 PM

okay-guess I can use that as an excuse. champagne taste and beer budget.

but dreams are free.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I used to see houseboats on a river in Oregon and often wondered what it would be like to live on one. I've also seen shows on TV where people lived on houseboats or were thinking about buying one. I used to think about a cabin in the woods too and that is also way over romanticised sometimes. I did it for five years, off the grid, and so much for THAT fantasy! lol But, I'd try a houseboat if the opportunity came along.
I used to have a fantasy about living in a cabin too, then I remembered there be bears in them woods and no take out, no food delivery, less protection from the eliments, too many ceeking sounds in the middle of the night and the list went on. Oh and that money thing too.

I did quite a bit of camping in the woods with a large group during my year+ living in NC, but I alway researched to make sure we were going to areas that were least likely to have wayward animals like bears and such. I don't think I slept to good most of those camping nights. But I sure miss those outings, not something I would do here in Fl.

Quote:
okay-guess I can use that as an excuse. champagne taste and beer budget.

but dreams are free.
Dreams are free, great to have and sometimes even come to be. I always dreamed of living in an area such as the one I do now. I wasn't sure it would ever happen, but here I am 10 minutes from Siesta Key Beach. Pretty good for a gal with barely a dime to spare most times.

So keep on dreaming striving for whatever it is you want, you never know.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:18 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,004,526 times
Keep dreamin ladies The houseboat thing sounds interesting - the cabin in the woods doesn't. I don't do creepy critters either. I'm more of a Siesta Key kind of girl.

I just watched "Shark Week - Restless Fury" - I would love to have the courage to do that, but I just don't. Now, I'll watch "JAWS"

Old 10-02-2011, 11:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,666 posts, read 57,840,960 times
I have friends on houseboats. It is a good place IF you have a boat and are serious about water sports / recreation (or like frequent vists by ducks / geese)
. It CAN be very peaceful (little / no traffic noise, tho some boats are noisy as the come and go). Pretty much 'loners' inhabit marinas, +/-. It CAN be maintenance intensive / expensive, BUT it is a lifestyle of choice for many. (REMEMBER, you will tote EVERYTHING both IN and OUT!!.) I have enjoyed my stays, but would not want to live full-time on one, as I love to SWIM, but not into boats (sailing excluded). Nearest I came was a 6 month stint living on Thetis Island BC. Thetis Island BC. - Google Search

Thetis Island BC. - Google Search

Had sailboat, kayak, canoe available. The seal lions would form a parade as we paddled through inlets and coves. We once counted over 30 behind us. There were over 100 bathing on the rocks at our house. "Sea Shanty"... another life, another time... BUT cabin fever is REAL !

BTW... I LOVE sailing, and it is seldom you get sea sick on a 'recreational' sail boat in a decent wind.. Storms happen... BUT... boats can be a bit 'confining' to a kid from the Prairie... (W-I-D-E open space for me..., if I can see a neighbor on the horizon, I might feel 'encroached')

BTW: After one short week of rain, My need for sun has got the best of me... thx to SWA ($89), I'm heading to the Albuquerque International Balloon Fest. I will be taking a trip through northern and NW NM in search of fall colors. I have a few guest homes lined up, and the hosts sound very fun and adventurous. I need a break... (as always... )

Is there an inoculation for Wanderlust I would much rather be gone, than be home... (as much as a like my Pooch)

Old 10-03-2011, 03:58 AM

really? I'm just the opposite. I'd rather be home. people talk about what they'd do if they won megabucks in a lottery. I always think of what I wouldn't do: shop! Absolutely hate to shop.

As for the cabin in the woods, critters wouldn't be an issue for me, but I do so love indoor plumbing!

Guess my houseboat thing has moved to the 'vacation' list and off the 'place to live' list.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I Is there an inoculation for Wanderlust I would much rather be gone, than be home... (as much as a like my Pooch)

There is, it's called multible disabilities. Sigh. If not for certain limitations, I would love to have your life. That wanderlust still hits me, but not much I can do about it anymore since I have to make frenquent doctor visits these days. another Sigh.

Years ago, I spent a weekend in Gloucester, (the whale watching was the best, I remember asking the guy for the elevator to get to the boat)) I had fantacies of moving to that area and though different area, I, also, here the most enticinly, beautiful, sound of clanking bells many times whenever I see Newenglandgals nick. I still dream of doing road trips. Sometimes I forget, I'm not 20 or 30 something anymore and I push too hard and the rusults aren't pretty.

Oh well, at least I can say, no one has mastered chair dancing as well as I have, I make it look so good, some seem disapointed when I take to the floor and can't duplicate those moves. But I still sway these old hips pretty good for about one songs, the feet start to say, don't even think about moving another sec. the knees say, sit your chubby checker self down or it's back to PT for you.

Ahh, It's Monday, Off to give Atkins another try till a cannoli confronts me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement