U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2011, 07:37 PM

8,623 posts, read 9,694,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I used to have a fantasy about living in a cabin too, then I remembered there be bears in them woods and no take out, no food delivery, less protection from the eliments, too many ceeking sounds in the middle of the night and the list went on. Oh and that money thing too.

I did quite a bit of camping in the woods with a large group during my year+ living in NC, but I alway researched to make sure we were going to areas that were least likely to have wayward animals like bears and such. I don't think I slept to good most of those camping nights. But I sure miss those outings, not something I would do here in Fl.

Dreams are free, great to have and sometimes even come to be. I always dreamed of living in an area such as the one I do now. I wasn't sure it would ever happen, but here I am 10 minutes from Siesta Key Beach. Pretty good for a gal with barely a dime to spare most times.

So keep on dreaming striving for whatever it is you want, you never know.
LOL...one of the things I miss about living in the woods is the wildlife. I don't even care about take out, food delivery, etc. in "civilization" and we had a comfy cabin with plenty of protection from the "elements". Why, we even had (some) indoor plumbing! lol Plenty of money from good jobs and no real bills. BUT I worked like a dog and lived there by myself half the year so....

I DO love the FL Keys...especially in January!

Old 10-05-2011, 03:26 PM

3 posts, read 4,103 times
Default Dear frazl;

I have not visited City-Data.com since February of this year. Time just gets away from me. I so enjoyed your response to my retirement quandries and frustrations. Have you moved to Boise, ID yet? I hear it is beautiful and a college town does indeed seem to pep up many aspects of a city. I am always concerned about going to a place that is too conservative relative to animal rights and wildlife conservation. Since my last blog, I have published my book Moderator cut: if you are interested in the book send a DM . Check it out if you like animals and how conservation fits into all of our lives, whether we like it or not. Anyway, I have yet to move or retire to anywhere. Since the economic decline, real estate devaluation has ruined my plans considerably. Am wishing that I had left my job four years ago so that I would have had the equity to move forward to a new, less expensive place to live in retirement. It is difficult to make these decisions and I flip-flop all the time. But regardless, I have decided to retire next year. I don't expect the economy to be incredibly recovered by then, it's just that I really need to begin a 'new chapter' in my life or the current stressors I have will eventually hurt my good health. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Keeper; 10-06-2011 at 05:23 AM..

Old 10-05-2011, 10:53 PM

688 posts, read 1,060,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl205 View Post
I have a question to single women who have retired alone. Have you ever been on an ocean/river cruise alone?

I ask this because one of the gals in my office is going on a cruise with her family to the Bahamas and it got me to thinking.....one of the things I would like to do before I die is go on a cruise.

I think it would possibly be more enjoyable with a companion, but I would be willing to give it a go by myself, if ever presented with the opportunity.

Do any of you on this forum have any comments, one way or another?

Thanks!
OH! you must go on a cruise at least once! But do your homework and pick the cruise line, ship, duration, price, cabin and itinerary that best suits your personality. Cruisecriticdotcom is a good resource. Cruise Reviews, Cruise Deals and Cruises - Cruise Critic
A companion is nice (mainly because it is less expensive) but I wouldn't hesitate to go solo.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:58 PM

121 posts, read 253,931 times
Thumbs up Retirement plans downsized due to the economy

I have some thoughts on your retirement and the economy. The latest I heard was that we're heading for a double-dip recession that will last another five years. If you can sell your home now for less then do it. The inerest rates are at an all time low. Rents are increasing as the demands for rental properties keep increasing. You have the option of renting your home out, retiring next year and moving to your dream location, just not buying the fancy cottage we all dreamed about. I decided to retire this November after a humiliating meeting with the new top manager. We call her the "dragon lady" behind her back. I was going to retire next year but I'd rather eat pasta and tofu then continue being a door mat for the new queen bee. I've down-sized my dreams but I'm still following through with them. Instead of my dream cottage by the sea, I've purchased a manufactured home in the woods. The home is in the area I first chose after 12 years of research and numerous exploratory trips to many retirement meccas across the USA. I swore I'd only buy a stick-built home for the value, but who cares in this economy. Why should I worry about resale? I'll never get all the money out of the stick-built home I've put in over these past 20 years. I chose to purchase rather than rent because I have two large dogs and two cats. It's hard to find rentals that are that pet friendly. Also, a fixed mortgage won't increase, unlike rentals. The third reason is that I don't care for landlords telling me what I can and can't do, then tuning around and selling the property out from under me. My goal is to retire the new mortgage with the sale of my stick-built home. This may or may not happen. Either way, I ran the numbers and I can do it. It will be tight if my home doesn't fetch the price the realtor says it will, but I will still make it. I've come to the conclusion that it's better to live on a shoestring than continue working at a job that creates stress and acid reflux. It's an employers market and they've thrown out the employees bill of rights in their efforts to downsize in what is called "asset management". I've worked through three economic downturns and this is by far the worst I've experienced. I could say I'm making room for some hopefull hire but the truth is, the company has no plans to replace me. The extra work burdon will fall on the remaining staff. Vacation requests are being denied due to inadequate shift coverage. I feel bad for my co-workers who are years away from retirement and locked into up-side down mortgages with young mouths to feed. They're all envious of me, they say "you're getting out, you're so lucky!" Luck has little to do with it. I've lived beneath my means my entire life, saving as much money as I could in anticipation of this day. If I hadn't, I'd be stuck here, forced to work until I was forced out, dreams long forgotten. My point is that it's better to live your dreams than dream about what could have been. I believe that when you take action, new doors will open to possibilities that never crossed your mind before. I'm looking forward to this new and exciting chapter in my life. Do you remember the song "This little light of mine, I'm going to make it shine?" Well, that's my plan! Shine on!

Old 10-06-2011, 04:18 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,956,557 times
When typing a long message, please break it down into paragraphs. It is so much easier to read

Old 10-06-2011, 05:48 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,991,724 times
(yes, short paragraphs are easier to read )

If I hadn't, I'd be stuck here, forced to work until I was forced out, dreams long forgotten. My point is that it's better to live your dreams than dream about what could have been. I believe that when you take action, new doors will open to possibilities that never crossed your mind before. I'm looking forward to this new and exciting chapter in my life.

I don't know how old you are, Fairwinds, but if you're anywhere near retirement age, you're at a point when many of us have to weigh quality of life vs. financial security. Some are lucky enough to have both, others of us have to choose. For me at age 63, age 80 is not that far off. Assuming I will be able to live to 80, that's only 17 years of time to realize the things I can do that I could never do while working (I also have mobility issues so I have to pace myself in everything I do).

I've seen and read about so many older workers--some who have worked decades in a position--pushed out the door by employers. One pattern seems to be that the higher-ups make it more and more miserable for the older worker nearing retirement, so that the employee will quit rather than being fired or laid off, and of course that entails loss of benefits in many cases, perhaps even pension. Then where is a 55 or 60 year old supposed to find work at that age?

New doors will open. And new good things will happen. You sound like the kind of person who will make this work.

Curious....where are you moving...a retirement community, or off by yourself? What part of the country?

Old 10-06-2011, 11:40 AM

363 posts, read 427,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
OH! you must go on a cruise at least once! But do your homework and pick the cruise line, ship, duration, price, cabin and itinerary that best suits your personality. Cruisecriticdotcom is a good resource. Cruise Reviews, Cruise Deals and Cruises - Cruise Critic
A companion is nice (mainly because it is less expensive) but I wouldn't hesitate to go solo.
Thanks marska for that great link, has a lot of good information. I have moved a cruise to the top of my "bucket list" for someday. I'm thinking the Alaska trip would be my first choice. It's so exciting to dream about!!

Old 10-06-2011, 08:13 PM

121 posts, read 253,931 times
Default Retiring soon!

NewEngland Girl: I've bought a home on four acres on the Olympic Peninsula, WA just outside the city limits. I'll be going it alone as I have for the past 30 years! I'm in good health and I'm not worried about things like transportation. I have that covered. I'm three miles away from shopping, 10 miles from health care, 2 miles to the Strait of Juan de Fuca. My dear neighbors are much older then I so it may be me helping them if they have an emergency.

I'm not in a retirement community but I'm 8 miles from a major retirement area (Sequim, WA) . The area topography reminds me of Alaska's inside passage. This area outside of town is wild, with mountain lions, deer, bears and Elk. This is the kind of stuff I love! I grew up backpacking in wilderness areas with my dad. I just can't seem to get the mountains and sea out of my blood. If and when it gets to the point that I need help, I'll deal with it. There are many options available, assisted living, in home care, etc. I've always been adventerous and enjoy challenges. I'm going to play till I drop!

Old 10-06-2011, 08:29 PM

5,397 posts, read 6,544,082 times
figured out I am not a cruise person also for what it is worth. but I can see why people like them.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:23 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,398,977 times
Hey, Ladies~~~~

I picked up "Shirley Valentine" at the library today and just watched it. Excellent! How did I miss this one????

I wonder how many Shirley Valentines there are out there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement