U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 02:50 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,084,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Tell me more about the house work share group. I've not heard that term before.... Is this sharing house work, or some other kind of work?? (I can always use someone to do my house work! )

Have you heard of anything happening like that in Santa Fe? Or is Santa Fe a bit too "exclusive" or "wealthy" for that? I'm not sure if the allure of wealth keeps people out of Santa Fe who don't have the wealth, or if it's something else. I'd be interested in Santa Fe if there were more affordable options around. I like that Santa Fe has a Trader Joe's, though! I wish Las Cruces had one -- I keep writing Trader Joe's and I guess they are swamped with suggestions for locations!

I've got my living room painted and bathroom painted now --- getting ready to put the house on the market in the spring -- wish me good luck on that! Still have to paint the kitchen and outside porch. I'm looking forward to retiring! You may have noticed that I started a thread about what it is really like to retire, and I guess it really is good! Sometimes I think I'm just fantasizing about that time off and no schedules and things of that sort -- but from the responses I've gotten, it looks pretty good!! (I noticed some of you here also responded -- thank you!!) It makes me feel much better about putting the house on the market. I'll miss this little space and the land, but on the other hand, it will be nice to have some unscheduled time, a chance to unwind, and finally relax! At least New Mexico has lots of sunshine, and that is a big plus!
House work sharing is me helping you paint your living room and bathroom and then you help me dig my garden or hang the dang blind (or whatever chore is going on I need help with.) I think it could be whatever you decided between the group--a barter system. Not sure how the details worked out. Sometimes these kind of chores seem to go on and on and a helping hand would make them more fun. I haven't heard of it in Santa Fe but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that I couldn't create it.

Not only wealthy people live here--that's a stereotype of Santa Fe. The affordable housing program is one way some of us are able to buy homes. In actuality, some things are cheaper and some things are more expensive than in Olympia, WA. There is no affordable housing in Olympia and the jobs I could find were low paying. The real estate taxes in NM are the lowest of anywhere I've lived (PA, WA.) I get a bus pass for $20/month. Bus service seems about normal for the size town--limited but it gets me to work and back and a mile walk in too. I filled up the tank yesterday at Sam's ($3.61 gal.) I want to see how long I can make it last without giving up fun things to do since I won't take the bus after dark because the walk to my house doesn't have good street lighting and part is still under construction so a little isolated.

I wish I could retire--my boss is really irritating me right now. Petty micro manager--makes me want to give the company only eight hours and no more. There has to be a better way to live. I want to go home and trim those pots I threw Saturday. I think you will love being retired after the adjustment. It surprised me when I left my job how much of my life and identity revolved around being good at it. It wasn't long though before I had moved on. Now I'm missing being in college.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:22 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,388,974 times
Wisteria - great progress!! Paint makes a hugh difference and, no doubt, will help with the selling of your home - GOOD LUCK!!!! These days, everyone needs a little luck!!!

Dancingearth, I know what you mean about having someone to work with when doing misc. things around the house - far less tedious and sometimes it just makes it all easier. If I were there I would gladly help!! Don't you wonder how that hummingbird knew that you had put up that feeder??

Old 08-11-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Hi Folks, I have been -- and am still -- involved in getting my daughter graduated from high school (which she just did), and now doing the college orientation away from home, etc..... so I will be in and out of here for awhile.

Anomoly, I hear you! I am only 4'10"!!! A shrimp! Reaching those cupboards are tough!! If I didn't have my little stool I drag around with me throughout the house, I'd never be able to use much space at all!!

Yippee!!!!!!!!! I'm 5'3" and I'm a giant (for the first time in my life). I just have to meet Wisteria & Anomoly Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
Dancing Earth and Anomaly- New homes!

Wisteria- Graduated a college bound daughter from high school!

Nancy the Reader- Retiring!

Did I miss anybody else achieving happy milestones?

Congratulations all! No moss growing under the feet of the ladies on this forum.

Nancy, did you decide to accept the part-time consulting position or are you going to be a lady of "leee-zuure" for a little while?

Interesting, I basically think the rest of the world is all taller than me. ( I'm 5'1".) I was heartened to read a couple of you are in my same height range.After you read someone's postings for a little while, you start to get a visual image of them. Not that I picture all of you on here as athletic, Amazon women, but I did have everybody in this adventurous, talented and accomplished group pictured as several inches taller than me. Just reinforces the old adage that good things often come in small (or at least shorter) packages. And taller ones, too. Vive la difference!
Why is it the short ladies that are the singles ones? And the brave, adventuresome, independent, strong.........................................nee d I say more?

Old 08-11-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
When I make changes, I take one step at a time. A friend taught me the mule step when I hike--I use to push to get up hills and he said "slow down and do the mule step." Now I do that whenever I'm overwhelmed with anything. Go into mule step mode, make lists, do one thing at a time. Right now my goal is to pack five boxes every night to get ready for this next move. I worried about how I was going to physically move the stuff again now that I have no family here and my few friends are old and I don't want to ask them to help and I don't want to spend a lot of money moving it a few miles. I know I could go to a temp agency but I don't want strangers knowing where I live. Two weeks ago a co-worker walked into my office and asked how I was going to move and offered her husband and his trailer and he also knows reliable people I could pay. It was a huge relief. It seems to always work out.

A motivation for me to forge ahead and make changes is when I see I am NOT doing something I want to do because I am afraid. That just pisses me off enough to find ways around my fears--treating the fear gently as a child. I do that by researching, thinking about it, finding ways that aren't quite so uncomfortable--putting a toe in the water easing into what I want to accomplish and then sometimes I jump in and shock everyone (quitting a good job and moving cross country and going to college and doing an AmeriCorp VISTA stint.) I was surprised they were shocked since I had researched and considered it for two years! Still on my list is learning Spanish by going to Mexico to a immersion school. Someday.

The good thing about being short is you don't see the dust on top of the frig. At least until you climb on the stool to get something out of the cupboard.
I realize I am responding to older messges but I am now just reading all of it. Dancingearth, VERY WISE. For the first time in my life I experienced a full blown fear attack. It stayed with me for several months. I didn't know what to do with it - usually I shake it off before it gets a grip. This time -. One day it ws just gone (enough already!!!!!!) Maybe it was about the time I found CD - so many people with similar issues. Anyway - just say "Be Gone!!!!!!" I really kept thinking "How incredibly immature, at this age!!"

Old 08-12-2008, 06:43 PM

109 posts, read 413,661 times
Default hehehe!

you guys are great, I am going to have to browse a little more often. Wisteria, I think TN is relatively cheaper than other areas, but I am afraid it isn't cheap enough for me to retire in.....!! Maybe several years ago it was and I was not even paying attention at that time, and maybe should of been ha??? lol.........

but, I am in it for the experience and adventure right now, maybe I will move on and not stay there either......Who knows where I will end up? Heaven I hope....lol.

keep putting the old noggins together maybe we will come up with something...

I have a few places in mind that I could maybe pick up a small house for under 100,000. Ky, Nc, and maybe sadly the cold of the midwest.....eeekkksss!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:30 PM

510 posts, read 1,308,566 times
Default Greetings from the Land of Enchantment-Las Cruces, New Mexico!!

Heeeeyyyy Ladies!!

Wow, so much catching up, and I will TRY to be brief (of course I never am, though).

I finally left TrC area last week... seemed like I was never going to get out of there. I stayed at Elephant Butte Lake State Park for almost a month! It's in TrC (oh, Truth or Consequences, for non-locals..sorry). I have an annual camping pass, so it was nice to use my RV in a real 'campground again.
I've been down, then up, then down again and up! I was OK with cancelling that park model purchase, but really struggled with feeling like I was back at square 1, meaning once again, I was without any kind of a plan, and back to living like a gypsy in constant uncertainty.
In truth, it was a temporary let down, because I do still have a plan, which is to move to Las Cruces, but I didn't have any 'steps' toward it. So, I gave myself some time at the Lake to have a campfire, and enjoyed meeting a couple from El Paso who were there for about 3 weeks. When they left, I really felt empty, and knew I just needed to GET OUT!

And so I finally left TrC, and am now exploring LAS CRUCES! (It's only 70m S of TrC, silly me) Actually, I'm in another State Park about 13m N of Cruces.
But right now I'm in the Las Cruces Library parking lot using WIFI, which I miss desperately!

I LOVE LAS CRUCES!!!
Just driving around, I realize how much I hated the isolation and emptiness of TrC, and the ignorant boring people. I feel like an inmate who's just been released from prison back into real life-after years of lock up!! I'm like:
"Oh look! A Walgreens, a Pizza place, Grocery Stores, Restaurants, a real Mall! And over there! a University, Old Mesilla, Pecan Orchards, Historic Districts! And NORMAL people, white people who aren't trash, hispanics again! (TrC is pretty white and old) who aren't criminals, --AND things are open after 5pm!!!" (trust me, for a night person who doesn't usually get out of the house till 5, it's such a welcome reminder of city life!)

So much more, but I must stop!
Must welcome the new people to this forum. Want to acknowledge so many individual comments, but can't right now.

But, I'll be back!!
Thanks for all the caring comments about my absence.
I'm in an UP stage right now, feeling excited about my new city Las Cruces, as a permanent home. WISTERIA, I CAN'T WAIT TO MEET UP WITH YOU HERE! (well, no, i can wait )
There's so much to see and do here. The Wine Festival and the Hatch Chili Festival are coming up, and..... lots more.
Love you all, really. Like one of the new ppl said "We are a great forum, with great women, great ideas, great support"! (something like that )

Next time, pictures too!
Dancing Earth--very cool house!

Anomoly

Old 08-15-2008, 11:07 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,916 posts, read 6,238,888 times
((((((Anomoly))))) Wow, I'm so glad to hear from you!!

This makes it an "up" day for me, too!! Yayyyyy!!

I am really glad to hear about the differences -- so, Las Cruces is a "real" town!! And, I, too, am a nightowl, so I would have a problem with everything closing up early!

My daughter starts college next week, and that means I can start planning on some short exploration trips. I do definitely want to get to Las Cruces pretty soon. After much deliberation and talking to people, it sounds like TorC should be on the day-visit list, instead of the living there list. Who knew 70 miles would make such a difference!?!

Glad you made it there, and glad you checked in! Keep us posted on your progress. While you're there, maybe you could give a little rundown of neighborhoods -- I've been on the MLS and looking at the cheaper areas, but not sure if they are cheap and not desirable. I've been looking at Alameda and Bellamah right now, and some downtown. I guess I will just have to get there to personally investigate it all. Beggars can't be too choosy!

I'm so glad to hear from you! Thanks for checking in and keep us posted on what makes Las Cruces a great place!

Cheers to Anomoly!!

Old 08-15-2008, 04:22 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,084,450 times
Yippe! Anomoly is here! So glad to hear from you! I visited the pecan orchards when I visited last January. There seemed to be a lot of theaters there too. I loved the used bookstore. I think sometimes we romanticize being out in the country and away from people but there are always tradeoffs. Las Cruces seemed like a good in between town--not too many people but enough to have cultural activities going on. And come winter you can tell me how nice and warm it is when I'm up here in the cold.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:52 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,506,963 times
Welcome back, anamoly. We all were worried about you and wondered where you were. Glad to hear that things are looking up. Las Cruces. That was one of my first choices. I would like to know all about it!

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-16-2008 at 02:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement