U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 03:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I still very much want to move but my house has lost around 50% of its value. This drastically limits where I can afford to move to.
Windwalker,

Why do you want to move and where? Seems like us older ladies would find Arizona a great place to live, esp in winter. I'm very surprised to hear the huge drop in value. Why, would you say, it is so much of a % drop where you are?

Old 10-21-2011, 03:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Seems that used to be the way of this thread, now seems a place, more so, to take a swipe at others for sharing a different experience when once we talked of everything under the sun, even pet care, taking pets to the vet which wasn't on topic either. But I hear those of you that wish to keep it all one dimintional and less like friends sharing in their life experiences. I realize I was off topic, but to me that MRI, was an adventure in my life and I wanted to share with some of my favorite gals. Silly as it may have been, but I couldn't pick up the phone to call the usaual suspects so my first thought was you ladies. This was once a place, that felt like one could ask a select group of, smart, mature, women for insight on anything. I do appoligize for overstepping the dounderies here. Guess it's time, again, like others to bail out of this section of the forum. I do appreciate the wonderful connections I've developed by way of this thread that continue off of this site.

I've found my special place and have enjoyed hearing the many adventures of you ladies. I hope everyone else finds there something/somewhere special.
TRosa,

In no way was I "taking a swipe" at anyone with my comment, and it's hurtful to think that you think that. I was simply expressing that the thread that was involved for so many years in the original topic was getting into subjects that seem of little interest to me, as they seemed to be private conversations between a few on a specific subject and so I stopped visiting the thread so much. Maybe we could use a Ladies Chat thread? Maybe not. At any rate, I'm only one among thousands who read this thread so please feel free to ignore my minority commment. In no way am I trying to direct anything!

Old 10-21-2011, 03:31 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,607,031 times
Default me too !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I still very much want to move but my house has lost around 50% of its value. This drastically limits where I can afford to move to.
I see we are in the same boat

P.S. the following is a c&P from the Administrator's rules of the Forum :

"Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics."

Of course an occasional diversion of chit-chat is fun and it helps us all bond in our similarities, however there is a reason for this thread's success and that's sharing our common experience in being women wanting to relocate alone and supporting each other toward that goal !!

Old 10-21-2011, 03:47 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,823,620 times
im 59 also and on 11/3/11 im moving to magnolia delaware from connecticut - my reasons for my choice is as follows - i cant take the heat so the south is out - i am used to being close to the water and i found a great place 4 miles from the beach - the general area is farming making it low key yet philadelphia is only an hour away - people are very friendly - there is no sales tax, no state income tax and no annual car tax - property taxes on homes is reasonable - being so close to the ocean walking around on a 95 degree day is very tolerable - i spent one year traveling the east coast from connecticut down to florida stopping in every state and visiting a couple of towns or cities in each state - i believe i have made the correct choice for me and have certainly done my research - ps i am also alone except for my 2 cats

Old 10-21-2011, 04:31 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,084,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post
I loved all the stories by the original posters but where are they now? sorry but it is like the ending of favorite movies---the main actors have left the stage?
I've been around for awhile and still have this thread bookmarked and check in once in a while. I occasionally still get into discussions with my friends that live here on where to move. Since I love the weather (no humidity, few bugs, lots of sunshine) and the geography (mountains and vast expanses of no people) and I have a job here it would not be until I don't have a job and if I couldn't figure out how to keep my house and studio. Then I'd move.

Sometimes I would like a place that has more of a sense of community. Also still not over the whole drama of moving to another place and starting over again. It was easier because I lived here before but I started over with friends--all except one couple turned into couples since I left and not interested in maintaining friends with a single woman.

If I ever do move again I hope to do it with another friend. Preferably a ceramic artist who wants a soda kiln. Two of us definitely would pick the PNW. That's the only other area I have been that I liked. Except for the rain but there are always trade-offs no matter what. As long as I have a studio I think I could deal with it.

I completely eliminated ever EVER considering going back to PA when my two kids had a falling out recently because of the daughter-in-law. Never thought I'd see the day when my kids weren't talking to each other. I don't want to be in the middle of that. Crazy mean drama of my DIL to my daughter. My son stuck his head in the sand and passively went along with it to maintain peace (I assume.) I'll visit once or twice a year. At least I no longer will live in PA in my head trying to see if I could do it.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:43 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,084,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I did Balloons on Thursday too (Jemez Loop (and snow) too, then Turquoise loop on Friday). Really liked Fenton
stayed at another guest home here Mora County, New Mexico's Home Page and especially enjoyed Tapetes de Lana, custom spinning & weaving

Taos, Angel Fire, Chama on Monday. (no train, but have done before... it is fantastic, especially in the fall!!)

Was really quite a good trip, especially the food at Church Street Cafe - Come on in and make yourself at home! (Stayed at a 'guesthome' nearby (single gal who is friend with Cafe 'owner' gal.))

Rain / wind was tough on the balloons, but I went for the aspen and mtns. Was really amazed at the changes in Santa Fe and Taos (been 30+ yrs since I frequented them). I would do Taos, but Santa Fe is a stretch for someone who doesn't do traffic very well. Having grown up in Estes Park, I'm not sure I'm ready for that hassle & expense during retirement era. But.... Anything is possible, it is yet an unwritten chapter

BTW... RE: names... It would need to be an entirely new name for me (first and last), Spanish surname preferred... for various reasons
Have you been to the Millicent Rogers Museum in Taos? We went there for the first time. Great collection of jewelry!

Santa Fe changed in the five years I was gone so I can imagine after 30 years. 285 was a huge improvement over what it had been--much safer. I don't care for the traffic either but it's better than PA. much much better. At times I fantasize about living further out away from people. I like Taos too. Have you seen Off the Map? I showed my sister the movie before going there. I'd like to visit the Earthships sometime. We ate at Michael's which I thought was okay but not as good as The Range in Bernalillo or The Pantry in Santa Fe.

RE: names. I switched back to my maiden name after divorce. My daughter is going to change her last name to my family's name instead of either her married or maiden name. After my kids grew up I also changed my first name from "Mom" back to my first name. When I visit my daughter I never answer to Mom because I don't hear it anymore--she always has to say my name to get my attention.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:04 PM

363 posts, read 426,170 times
Default Love this thread even with the in's and out's

Please don't anyone leave this forum. It took me quite a while to read all the posts and in doing so, feel like I know many of you. That feeling made me want to start joining in the discussions and make my first post.

As many of you may have already read, my husband is in very poor health and I think about the future and wonder what I will do if he goes before me. We are very, very fortunate in that we own our home, and in the 5 years we have lived here in middle Tennessee, have made some good friends.

I recently mentioned me getting a MRI here at our local hospital. It was my first time to have any dealings with the hospital. I was very impressed with the way I was treated, and the experience left me with the feeling that if I DID live here the rest of my life, I could be assured that my town had a decent hospital.

I waiver back and forth in thinking about where I might move to some day, but the reality is that, for now, I must be content with where we are. And I am content. But if I were suddenly a single woman, I don't know how I would feel, the same or different. Guess I'll never know until the time comes. You all have given me a lot to think about. In fact, I had never really thought about the future much until I stumbled on to this forum, and the discussions really drew me in. And now I am hooked on reading it. I can't wait to read what is posted next.

You all have been an inspiration to me, as well as a source of comfort and support. Thank you all!

Old 10-21-2011, 07:31 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,388,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
IOf course an occasional diversion of chit-chat is fun and it helps us all bond in our similarities, however there is a reason for this thread's success and that's sharing our common experience in being women wanting to relocate alone and supporting each other toward that goal !!
This thread has always involved chit chat as well as moving. How many have actually ever moved away from their original location? 1

Old 10-21-2011, 08:01 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,033,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Windwalker,

Why do you want to move and where? Seems like us older ladies would find Arizona a great place to live, esp in winter. I'm very surprised to hear the huge drop in value. Why, would you say, it is so much of a % drop where you are?
The older I get, the less I tolerate months of 100+ degree temperatures, esp. when it's also humid. Additionally, I am sick of the kind of politics that dominate in this state.

Arizona real estate is I think second only to Nevada in the decline in values. Values depended on constant influx of population buying houses. Also now there are lots of foreclosures available for very low prices.

So it's a good time to move to AZ, but a bad time to leave.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:37 PM

419 posts, read 657,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
BUT, as I get older it gets harder to make the mental decision to relocate alone
I spent the first 29 years of my life living in Michigan (Detroit & the surrounding areas). In 1972, I moved to Arizona (Phoenix area) and lived there for 33 years before retiring in 2005 and leaving the state to accompany my daughter to a career move for her in Southern Ohio.

We lived in Ohio for 2 years and then moved to Pittsburgh. It has been a great career move for my daughter, but living with my daughter was just not working out.

In 2009, I began researching a retirement area for me. After extensive research and a physical visit, I moved to NE Tennessee by the end of the year. I bought a small older condo in a very desirable area. We are surrounded by wildlife and mountains. I have a wonderful view of Bay's mountain from my kitchen window and front courtyard. The beautiful restored downtown area is only minutes away. My complex consists of 43 units and there are a few people who have lived here ever since they were built in 1985. Very rarely are there any single level units for sale. When they do go on the market, they sell quickly if they are priced right.

My research did not fail me. This is a wonderful area for retirement. The Tri-cities are very progressive with excellent medicare care. The cities are busy offering numerous cultural & fun activities. Our senior center is top-notch.

However, I did not plan on my degenerative back disease to intensify. I think I hurt my back in the move here to Tennessee and it got steadily worse. I finally had spinal fusion surgery in Sept. 2010. While it has helped, I still have back pain on a daily basis. It is difficult for me to walk for any distance or stand for more than a short period of time. So, I have been very disappointed that I have not been able to get out there and meet new people and participate in the activities that are available.

While this is a wonderful retirement area, I am here alone. Most people here are natives or have lived here for a very long time. They have family & friends who may need their assistance so have no time to aid newcomers. I have been blessed to have a wonderful neighbor who has been very good to me, but again, she can only do so much.

Therefore, I am seriously considering moving back to Arizona. I do not have family there, but do have one friend. Everyone else I ever knew have all scattered. Arizona has always been a very transient area.

I am thinking about moving to Sun City. I am familiar with the area because I lived next door to the area for the last 7 years that I lived in Arizona. Right now, I can buy a decent condo for about half the price of this one here in Tennessee. In Sun City there is transportation to drs. appts., home delivery from Safeway grocery stores, rec. centers, exercise & wading pools, over 120 chartered clubs with interesting activities all within the community. Many residents go to these activities via golf carts. Supposedly there are caring neighbors, but that may be a crap shoot. The age of the residents is getting younger all of the time. The medium age is now 70.

To me, this is something to look at as I approach 70 years of age and alone. My parents remains are interred in a cemetery in Apache Junction about 50 miles away. So, maybe I will do a pre-plan for arrangements to be interred at the same place. There are also numerous businesses in the area to tend to the needs of the alone elderly, such as; fudiciary services.

I will be alone in searching for a home there and also making a final move. While I do have health issues, I feel that I can still make the move in the not too distant future. A few years from now, it could become impossible.

So, yes, if you are mid 50's to mid 60's and you think you are up to new explorations then go for it. But, as you age, the spirit may be there but the body tells you something different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement