U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 10:34 PM

3,411 posts, read 3,968,861 times

Advertisements

I am newly single and love this thread from way back, I jump on it as soon as I see there is a new post. I wasn't thrilled about the OT posts that were going on, and I was just getting ready to post "what happened to this thread.....? when NewEnglandGirl beat me to it.

TRosa, please do not leave this thread. You are a regular poster and I enjoy your posts. I'm sure I speak for others when I say your posts are enjoyable and valued.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:19 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
TRosa, please do not leave this thread. You are a regular poster and I enjoy your posts. I'm sure I speak for others when I say your posts are enjoyable and valued.
Triple ditto

Old 10-22-2011, 06:25 AM

62 posts, read 88,076 times
Default Sisterhood of the Travelling(moving) Pants :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I agree with this - a good place to stop in and share thoughts while we are preparing to make that move. Life has enough rules.
Yes we sometimes digress on this thread but I look on it as a little filler in between the life changing choices many of us face---stay where we are? move closer to adult children etc -I always gain fresh insight from each persons story---all the many facets of why they made the choice of where to move to or in some cases to just stay.
This is what encouraged me to post my story and dilemmas---I feel we share a common bond at this stage in our lives---much as I love my grown up daughter there are life experiences that at 20 something she just has not had---and here on this forum I have found other people facing the same choices as myself. I would love to hear the occasional update from some of the original posters. So keep the stories coming and at the sake of incurring an infraction I too would dread the thought of being stuffed into something resembling a torpedo for an MRI.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:16 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,485 times
Default SCBaker ~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
I spent the first 29 years of my life living in Michigan (Detroit & the surrounding areas). In 1972, I moved to Arizona (Phoenix area) and lived there for 33 years before retiring in 2005 and leaving the state to accompany my daughter to a career move for her in Southern Ohio.

We lived in Ohio for 2 years and then moved to Pittsburgh. It has been a great career move for my daughter, but living with my daughter was just not working out.

In 2009, I began researching a retirement area for me. After extensive research and a physical visit, I moved to NE Tennessee by the end of the year. I bought a small older condo in a very desirable area. We are surrounded by wildlife and mountains. I have a wonderful view of Bay's mountain from my kitchen window and front courtyard. The beautiful restored downtown area is only minutes away. My complex consists of 43 units and there are a few people who have lived here ever since they were built in 1985. Very rarely are there any single level units for sale. When they do go on the market, they sell quickly if they are priced right.

My research did not fail me. This is a wonderful area for retirement. The Tri-cities are very progressive with excellent medicare care. The cities are busy offering numerous cultural & fun activities. Our senior center is top-notch.

However, I did not plan on my degenerative back disease to intensify. I think I hurt my back in the move here to Tennessee and it got steadily worse. I finally had spinal fusion surgery in Sept. 2010. While it has helped, I still have back pain on a daily basis. It is difficult for me to walk for any distance or stand for more than a short period of time. So, I have been very disappointed that I have not been able to get out there and meet new people and participate in the activities that are available.

While this is a wonderful retirement area, I am here alone. Most people here are natives or have lived here for a very long time. They have family & friends who may need their assistance so have no time to aid newcomers. I have been blessed to have a wonderful neighbor who has been very good to me, but again, she can only do so much.

Therefore, I am seriously considering moving back to Arizona. I do not have family there, but do have one friend. Everyone else I ever knew have all scattered. Arizona has always been a very transient area.

I am thinking about moving to Sun City. I am familiar with the area because I lived next door to the area for the last 7 years that I lived in Arizona. Right now, I can buy a decent condo for about half the price of this one here in Tennessee. In Sun City there is transportation to drs. appts., home delivery from Safeway grocery stores, rec. centers, exercise & wading pools, over 120 chartered clubs with interesting activities all within the community. Many residents go to these activities via golf carts. Supposedly there are caring neighbors, but that may be a crap shoot. The age of the residents is getting younger all of the time. The medium age is now 70.

To me, this is something to look at as I approach 70 years of age and alone. My parents remains are interred in a cemetery in Apache Junction about 50 miles away. So, maybe I will do a pre-plan for arrangements to be interred at the same place. There are also numerous businesses in the area to tend to the needs of the alone elderly, such as; fudiciary services.

I will be alone in searching for a home there and also making a final move. While I do have health issues, I feel that I can still make the move in the not too distant future. A few years from now, it could become impossible.

So, yes, if you are mid 50's to mid 60's and you think you are up to new explorations then go for it. But, as you age, the spirit may be there but the body tells you something different.
YOUR post brings up some very real concerns of the older, single woman wanting to relocate alone, without a support system. ! I had not considered Sun City as a relocation site but how would you tolerate the summer heat ??

Old 10-22-2011, 12:20 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,668,169 times
I thought I would chime in a bit. I enjoy reading others' exeriences in their quest and decisions for relocation.

I have been mostly lurking because my plans for a relocation have had to have been put off for maybe another year. Long story I won't go into but I am hoping to make my move in the Fall of 2012 pr the latest Spring of 2013.

I moved over 30 years ago to a city where I knew no one and had to build a support group and new life. It is a lot easier when one is young and healthy but if one is determined, it can be done.

The digressions from the original topic are okay with me. I know eventually we will always get back on it. It's kind of like life: nothing ever follows a straight path.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:46 PM

419 posts, read 658,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
YOUR post brings up some very real concerns of the older, single woman wanting to relocate alone, without a support system. ! I had not considered Sun City as a relocation site but how would you tolerate the summer heat ??
I tolerated the heat for 33 years and can do so again. This time around, I will not have to leave my home to commute to a job. Instead, I can go to the numerous swimming pools, air-conditioned rec. centers, go to a movie or go out for breakfast or lunch. Of course, I have the option to just stay home.

No way around it, the heat is miserable in July, August & Sept. Years ago the weather would begin to cool off by the middle of Sept. but in recent years it seems to stretch into Oct. Many can't adapt but many more do. I can cope better with sun & heat than I can with gloomy overcast weather with non-stop rain and/or wind. Bitter cold and dodging hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes & blizzards are not acceptable to me. However, with the crazy weather of the past couple of years no one anywhere may be immune from natural weather disasters.

Everyone seems to be looking for a retirement spot with ideal weather. If such a place exists, so many people are flooding into those areas causing congestion & driving up prices. So we are probably going to be faced with making more concessions when choosing a retirement spot in the not too distant future.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
Everyone seems to be looking for a retirement spot with ideal weather. If such a place exists, so many people are flooding into those areas causing congestion & driving up prices. So we are probably going to be faced with making more concessions when choosing a retirement spot in the not too distant future.
I've given up the quest for ideal weather in favor of being near people I can relate to, whether family or not...and affordability (a turnback in time to an era of lower property taxes or rents).

I was thinking as I was walking today how one's personality and lifestyle needs to fit the location...much more than weather. If one is different in any way, moving into a non-transient community of people who have lived there all of their lives (and may not be too tolerant of differences) may be a big mistake. I have run into that in my new "town and gown" community. The college community is educated and open and tolerant with vibrancy; some natives here are suspicious and reserved around those they perceive to have different perspectives or reactions to things. We can move to Paradise weather-wise, but if the residents are not "your kind of folks," we may feel like the odd one out.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:56 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,036,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

I was thinking as I was walking today how one's personality and lifestyle needs to fit the location...much more than weather. If one is different in any way, moving into a non-transient community of people who have lived there all of their lives (and may not be too tolerant of differences) may be a big mistake.
It's not just places where people have lived all their lives This can also happen if you move into a retirement community. if you don't fit their mold, you could be marginalized, or the HOA could be after you all the time for little things. I have seen this happen to people.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
It's not just places where people have lived all their lives This can also happen if you move into a retirement community. if you don't fit their mold, you could be marginalized, or the HOA could be after you all the time for little things. I have seen this happen to people.
Interesting! (this too has crossed my mind) Could you elaborate?

Old 10-22-2011, 04:14 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,485 times
Default it's complicated ~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
This is very true and that's what makes the move so complicated when you have to consider all the pros and cons and even then it's still a crap shoot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement