U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2011, 01:58 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,561,639 times

Advertisements

The look and feel is why I hope to stay outside Boston (besides loving my house). Yes, I'd love to get away from humidity and have an adventure (although it wouldn't be the first) but I think having people to talk to in person matters more to me than weather. I wouldn't want to move somewhere where I'd be even more reliant on auto transport and know enough "old-old" people to see what transport and other non-sexy things mean.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:06 PM

419 posts, read 658,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
People say so many different things about Phoenix--from I love it to I hate it and all the reasons why--that I can't seem to get a handle on what it's really like, esp for seniors, and for women moving there alone. Is it really the same Phoenix today that you remember? Aside from (or including) the weather issues, what would draw you back there today?
I lived in the Phoenix area long enough to witness all of the phenomenal growth that occured over a 30+ year period. Once dirt roads became major freeways, once cotton fields and orage groves became a sea of cookie cutter subdivisions. I liked Phoenix because it was an urban area with quaint neighborhoods. I never did like suburban living. Most of the neighborhoods were filled with middle class families who had hailed from the mid-west bringing their values with them. Kids playing in the streets and neighbors helping neighbors. I always got warm fuzzy feelings when visiting or driving through those neighborhoods. At one time there were family owned businesses serving the communities. Those neighborhoods were never very walkable but there was bus service along the main drags. Phoenix is a very clean city with it's own charm. Today, those same neighborhoods have been given historical distinction. There are 34 neighborhoods with the historical distinction. They are very popular with young professsionals & empy nesters. For years people have gone in and restored those homes after paying high dollars for them. While home prices have dropped considerably because of the real estate bust, those neighborhoods are holding their own. Investors are now snapping up homes in other neighborhoods that have become so-so on the cheap. Phoenix is also very easy to navigate. Streets are east of Central and Avenues are West. Great for someone like myself who has no sense of direction.

I have been away from Phoenix for 6 years now but it appears nothing has changed much during that time. They did get the light rail up and running though. I think they continue to pick up ridership as time goes by. Phoenix did get hit hard by the housing bust, but the most financial damage occured in the outlying suburbs.

Unfortunately, today at my age, I would never consider living in Phoenix. Simply because I want to feel safe. To my knowledge there are no 55+ communities in the central area. However, there are some 55+ manufactured home communities in the North end of the city. Phoenix is a large city (6th largest in the US) and naturally there is crime. Not runaway crime, but enough to be concerned about. There have been home invasions, theft and scam artists targeting people of all ages, especially the elderly.

Sun City is only about a 20 minute drive from the central area of Phoenix. So, that would be my choice of destinations. A lot to think about and research in the coming months. No need for urgency but I do not want to wait years before making a decision.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:31 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The look and feel is why I hope to stay outside Boston (besides loving my house). Yes, I'd love to get away from humidity and have an adventure (although it wouldn't be the first) but I think having people to talk to in person matters more to me than weather. I wouldn't want to move somewhere where I'd be even more reliant on auto transport and know enough "old-old" people to see what transport and other non-sexy things mean.
It's so impossible to afford to buy in (today) anywhere around Boston that if I were already there I wouldn't leave. The resale will be great. And you have so much equity. When you retire, why not spend the hot humid months elsewhere, maybe with a friend in high dry country? To have two places to go between is the absolute ideal, imo.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:45 PM

Default Another thing I like about Phoenix

I like the location of Sky Harbor airport. Easy to get to from all areas and pretty easy to navigate. US Airways is based in Phoenix and Phoenix is a hub for other airlines. Many non-stop flights at reasonable prices.

I am not much of a flyer so I didn't think I would miss the airport. However, the thought of flying from here to Phoenix is an ordeal for me. There is only one flight daily from here to Phoenix. It leaves at 5:30 in the morning. A commuter flight to either Chicago or Charlotte and then on to Phoenix. For you jetsetters, probably no problem, but the thoughts of it makes me sick.

Thinking back, I did like flying from Phoenix to Vegas. A one hour flight for $39.00. Sometimes much cheaper than that. Of course, in the future, cheap flights may be going the way of the dinosaur.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:00 PM

6,124 posts, read 9,081,096 times
Hi Ms SC Baker: I am in Chandler, AZ and just want to say this has been one heck of a hot summer. I still have the AC on and its Oct. 24th. Worst ever summer since I got here in 2001. I live just north of Sun Lakes, which you might want to also consider. They have a great group of volunteers who drive residents to appts and its called "Neighbors who care" and the golf carts are the thing there too. ALOT of clubs; alot of manufactured homes; and good health care. My doc is in Sun Lakes and his office is always crowded. My house is up for sale cause I want a cooler climate, more like NC. Just got back from there and saw alot of trees, greenery, and it even rained once. No rain here all summer. Just big dust storms that make everything dirty. DM me if you want more info. Be happy to help.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Hi Ms SC Baker: I am in Chandler, AZ and just want to say this has been one heck of a hot summer. I still have the AC on and its Oct. 24th. Worst ever summer since I got here in 2001. I live just north of Sun Lakes, which you might want to also consider. They have a great group of volunteers who drive residents to appts and its called "Neighbors who care" and the golf carts are the thing there too. ALOT of clubs; alot of manufactured homes; and good health care. My doc is in Sun Lakes and his office is always crowded. My house is up for sale cause I want a cooler climate, more like NC. Just got back from there and saw alot of trees, greenery, and it even rained once. No rain here all summer. Just big dust storms that make everything dirty. DM me if you want more info. Be happy to help.
Hi Barb,

Thank you so much for your offer to provide me with more info about Sun Lakes. I believe housing is more expensive in Sun Lakes as opposed to Sun City because it is newer and located in the East Valley. I will definitely send you a DM.

I moved to Arizona in 1972 and settled in Tempe. In the mid 70's Price Rd. was still a dirt road which of course, over the years became the 101. Chandler was a little cowboy town with nothing but ranches and cotton fields. There was only one little subdivision of homes which were occupied by mostly personell from Williams Air Force Base. Arizona Ave. was then known as Country Club, a little two lane hwy. extending from Mesa into Chandler. I don't even think Gilbert was on the map at that time. My, how things have changed.

The summer weather in Arizona back in those days began to cool off around Sept. 15th. Which continued to be the case for a good ten years or more. In fact, many people only used swamp coolers through the summer and many ran around in their cars without air conditioning. I left Arizona in 2005 and had noticed probably prior years before that the summers were getting hotter & longer. However, we always did get rain during the monsoon season. I always blamed it on the population explosion, too much concrete, too many pools and artificial greenery & lakes. People trying to turn a desert into something that resembled the midwest. But, this year is really bizzare. I think the desert is rebelling. I never experienced the rolling dust storms that you have had to deal with. Probably the same drought that Texas is experiencing.

The prolonged heat does concern me. But, the weather has been fierce for the past two years in many areas of the country. Drought, excessive heat, tornadoes, blizzards & excessive snow fall have gripped a good portion of the country.

I live in NE Tennessee situated in the Appalacian Mountains. We had a pretty violent Spring of storms resulting in tornadoes causing extensive damage 30 miles away and wind storms causing extensive damage to businesses & homes in the area. We had a unusually hot summer with high temperatures & humidity. According to the weather reports it is suppose to be 80 degrees on Saturday. Yes, the mountains, trees & greenery is picture perfect. However, that picture also brings a high pollen count. Right now people are suffering allergies from ragweed. In the Spring you can see all of the green pollen falling on your car and anything else left in the open. Terrible for allergy sufferers.

Where are you moving to in NC? I am very close to Virginia and Western NC.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:42 AM

363 posts, read 426,541 times
scbaker, I never had allergy problems until I moved to Tennessee! So I'm there with you as far as the pollen and allergies. Which goes to show, a place with breathtaking beauty can have its weather-related problems too.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:06 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
PhxBarb,

I just posted on another retirement thread my experience exploring NC as a potential move. The parts I was in included the Triangle, the Triad, and Western NC (Asheville area) --did not get to the coast or the southern part of the state. I just don't think I could handle the summer heat and humidity in that part of the country, wondering what you make of it, and what part of the state you're looking at to move (and why)?

Old 11-02-2011, 09:10 AM

3 posts, read 4,582 times
Default Oro Valley, AZ, and or "Active Adult Community" interest

Hi All,

I'm new here, trying to ingest all the information available. I am considering a move from N.E. Florida, where my late husband and I retired several years ago. I have a lovely house in the historic district with a great diverse neighborhood and walking distance to a dining and shopping enclave. I have girlfriends for a pleasant social life, but they are younger and married.

I have been in FL. for 15 years. Chicago for 20 years before that. I also lived in D.C. and Boston for 4 years in my twenties. I have two adult children and four grandchildren in Chicago, but no other family now. I love Chicago and visit frequently, but don't want to endure the bad weather months. I think I'll like Arizona, even though my kids think it is a little "far". I am a little afraid of letting go of what I have, which is secure and pleasant, for the unknown. But I feel stale and think maybe I have one more big change in me. What do you think?

My wish list....I think.
1. Major airport within one hour and easy access. Good flights to Chicago.
2. "Active Adult" community with ready-made social life of interesting clubs, potential traveling partners, and social activities, and modest cost of living.
3. A pocket of active, sixty-ish, single women like me who are seeking supportive friendships and have broad interests and some income to pursue them. Not man hunting.
4. Beauty. I am a sucker for pretty places with great neighborhoods, magnificient views and Mother Nature showing off. I've done "city gritty" and now prefer well-groomed places or natural areas.

I have been to the Tucson area in summer and know the weather is HOT, but at least not humid like FL. The surrounding mountains potentially offer cool respite, and I can go North to get away. Technically, this would be my second retirement but this one is as "I, Not As We" .( Somebody recorded that.)

Old 11-02-2011, 11:09 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,217,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelister1 View Post
Hi All,

I'm new here, trying to ingest all the information available. I am considering a move from N.E. Florida, where my late husband and I retired several years ago. I have a lovely house in the historic district with a great diverse neighborhood and walking distance to a dining and shopping enclave.of letting go of what I have, which is secure and pleasant, for the unknown. But I feel stale and think maybe I have one more big change in me. What do you think? <snip>
Welcome to the thread. I can't offer any help in re: Arizona, but I found your post particularly interesting because I have spent the last several months browsing the real estate sites looking at homes in two historic neighborhoods in Jacksonville. Interesting architecture, diverse neighborhood and within walking distance to dining and shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement