U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 07:10 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Wow, that is an enormous size home to me! I have 1350 sf and it feels like way too much at this stage in life. If I choose to live on just the first floor, I have a 20 x 22 living room, a large kitchen, a large bath that fits washer/dryer, and a large bedrm. I can't imagine wanting more space, or cleaning it. I'm aiming for a nice cozy 800-900 sf in my next place, if I ever move.
I think it's all about what you're use to. I have 2400 sf now and although there are rooms I never use (except to store things in) I'd have to look at anything smaller to see if I could fit my dining room set. I plan to have dinner parties etc... - not ready to throw in the towel just yet. Now that I have a house guest, I am glad I have the space I have.

Cleaning - yes, a real pain. It's more than I want to do anymore, especially with the outside. Now you know why I'm always happy to see that first snowfall. I can focus on just the inside.

Unfortunately, the homes I've been seeing in CO that are smaller yet have a good floor plan are as expensive and many times more expensive than the larger homes. They know that's what the boomers want so they are keeping the prices high.

p.s. I got so much done today: cleaned 2 cars (windows, vac, treated the leather), RAKED (25 bags for tomorrow's collection), made crockpot soup, rearranged the garage so I could move in all the patio furniture- which I did, emptied all flower pots - I am beat.

CO house must have a small yard.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:46 PM

433 posts, read 992,028 times
A cardboard wardrobe is what movers give you (and charge for) to hold your hanging clothes during a move. It's a tall box with a hanger bar inside and flaps on top. Here's a picture:
Wardrobe Moving Boxes: Perfect for Hanging Clothes

Old 11-07-2011, 09:07 PM

688 posts, read 1,059,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcaciaRose View Post
A cardboard wardrobe is what movers give you (and charge for) to hold your hanging clothes during a move. It's a tall box with a hanger bar inside and flaps on top. Here's a picture:
Wardrobe Moving Boxes: Perfect for Hanging Clothes
Wellllll.....some of my clothes have been hanging in these cardboard wardrobes for about 1 1/2 yrs. Not so easy to un-hang / hang clothes because there is little clearance above the metal rod (unless you leave the boxes open on top, which is a problem in and of itself)....in fact, it DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!

Old 11-07-2011, 09:10 PM

688 posts, read 1,059,845 times
ACA- I am in awe- how did you do this???

"Today, my closet holds only clothes I actually will wear."

I wear about....oh....say 1% of what is in my cardboard wardrobe, my boxes, my plastic containers, my 2x4 closet, on my floor or my bed, and in my distant storage space.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:45 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
ACA- I am in awe- how did you do this???

"Today, my closet holds only clothes I actually will wear."

I wear about....oh....say 1% of what is in my cardboard wardrobe, my boxes, my plastic containers, my 2x4 closet, on my floor or my bed, and in my distant storage space.
Your location says it all...

Old 11-08-2011, 06:06 AM

13 posts, read 17,224 times
I have taken a few suggestions from other posters since I have about three years before I make my move. Do as much as you can each year and toward the year I move make my final changes.

So far this year I have gone through three large trunks (bed linens no longer use); three closets (bathroom, walking and a coat closet (more linens I am not using as well as clothes) and my dresser in the bedroom (more clothes threw away uf they were old falling apart). Gave the rest to charity and actually decided what was I waiting for, so am using the what I was keeping for entertaining.

Also decided to get rid of my old and for a fake tree, shedding needles, originally bought this tree for less than ten bucks so yes it was time to go. I do not miss my old tree since I decorate my apartment anyway and actually have more room for the bigger decorations.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:02 AM

433 posts, read 992,028 times
Good for you, SunshinefromTN.

How did I do it, marska? Getting started was difficult, but after I had lost some weight, I wanted to wear the old clothes I'd been saving, so I dug some things out of the back of the closet. I was astonished that very few things were wearable -- the shoulders of the jackets and blouses were too big and the waistlines of the pants were too high. Nothing felt right.

The drawers of old message t-shirts were important to me for sentimental reasons -- I had bought them when I was young, when my husband was still alive. I packed them in a box and moved them, but in my new location I tried them on, took a cold hard look and realized I simply would never wear them again. So I got rid of them. It gets easier the more you do it.

In my present life I wear plain t-shirts and jeans every day. To be a little dressier, I have black pants and a couple of nice blouses. If I need to attend a special occasion I'll buy something new. There's no sense wasting precious closet or drawer space for clothes I'll never wear. Now the stuff I do wear regularly has room to breathe.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:02 PM

8,618 posts, read 9,684,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcaciaRose View Post
Good for you, SunshinefromTN.

How did I do it, marska? Getting started was difficult, but after I had lost some weight, I wanted to wear the old clothes I'd been saving, so I dug some things out of the back of the closet. I was astonished that very few things were wearable -- the shoulders of the jackets and blouses were too big and the waistlines of the pants were too high. Nothing felt right.

The drawers of old message t-shirts were important to me for sentimental reasons -- I had bought them when I was young, when my husband was still alive. I packed them in a box and moved them, but in my new location I tried them on, took a cold hard look and realized I simply would never wear them again. So I got rid of them. It gets easier the more you do it.

In my present life I wear plain t-shirts and jeans every day. To be a little dressier, I have black pants and a couple of nice blouses. If I need to attend a special occasion I'll buy something new. There's no sense wasting precious closet or drawer space for clothes I'll never wear. Now the stuff I do wear regularly has room to breathe.
I do the same thing you do, about once a year. From 2000 to 2005 I moved five times and three of those moves were in an 18 mo. period. Every move I got rid of more...never knew I had so much! Now I do a 'clean out' once a year...although it's been a couple years now since the last one and I KNOW I have clothes I can get rid of. I've always worn uniforms for work so never had to have a 'work wardrobe'. I used to have a few things I could wear out on the town, etc. but over the years those have all disappeared as well. I don't go anywhere to need them.

Before I moved to where I am now I had a yard sale and got rid of a bunch MORE stuff. Now I'm okay, have what I need/want and avoid yard sales like a rash! lol My clothes are mostly from the thrift stores but I haven't been in one in a looong time. I have picked up some 'cheap stuff' and work clothes at Wal Mart but I work there and it's just too convenient. lol

Old 11-09-2011, 11:37 AM

6,413 posts, read 4,179,346 times
I saw this thread and am not about to read it all. Just looking at the title, and the amount of responses, I have a question: What about this thread warrants it to be in a sticky? I don't see anything in the title that makes it that important. All right, I am not female, but that is not why I ask. Most stickies I see in forums are for topics that have enough importance that if they would start falling lower in the list, people wouldn't see it and would be hurt.

What makes this topic more important, say, than any of the threads involving how the the housing bust is hurting people trying to retire, and what can be done?

Old 11-09-2011, 04:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I saw this thread and am not about to read it all. Just looking at the title, and the amount of responses, I have a question: What about this thread warrants it to be in a sticky? I don't see anything in the title that makes it that important. All right, I am not female, but that is not why I ask. Most stickies I see in forums are for topics that have enough importance that if they would start falling lower in the list, people wouldn't see it and would be hurt.

What makes this topic more important, say, than any of the threads involving how the the housing bust is hurting people trying to retire, and what can be done?
I think a lot of us (mostly women) would feel hurt and lost if this thread fell lower and lower and off the charts. It's one place we can go to feel a sense of comraderie in confusing times. How many threads give you that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement