U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 10:04 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,035,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I don't know what your plans were, but it would seem like proximity to family is of utmost importance now and in the future. I hate to keep saying this, but family, anyone close, is so important as we age. I know there are those who are coupled and healthy and feeling like they can move anywhere, but personally, with my health history and prognosis for future, I really do want to be close to those I love, and this edges out the living in paradise dreams. Establishing ourselves in a community where we may need to settle due to medical treatments is also of prime importance. It would be soooo stressful to move once a condition is starting to accelerate. These life decisions take an awful lot of thought....
Family is important if one can count on them. Otherwise making close friendships is more important.
I figure the younger we move to a new place, the better. It's not possible to know what might happen as we age that could interfere with establishing new relationships after a move.
At 66, I'm not seeing a lot of years left for me to make a major move.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:29 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,206 times
Default Yup !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Family is important if one can count on them. Otherwise making close friendships is more important.
I figure the younger we move to a new place, the better. It's not possible to know what might happen as we age that could interfere with establishing new relationships after a move.
At 66, I'm not seeing a lot of years left for me to make a major move.
This is very true ! I made my last major move 6 years ago at age 67 but I had help from my gentleman friend (R.I.P.) and now at age 73 and alone, the task is extremely daunting even to think about.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:27 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,217,509 times
PhxBarb,

Hope this isn't TMI, it's hard to reply to your questions in a succinct manner without leaving out relevant info.

I've always had some memory issues because of ADHD, but this was different. I was having an increasing difficulty with not only retrieving words but occasionally substituting nonrelated words when speaking. I mentioned this to my PCP but he wasn't concerned. I later noticed my mind was frequently blank - something I had never experienced as an ADHDer. After what I considered a disastrous performance at an administrative hearing and after several close calls driving, I sought testing from a psychologist. He, in turn, referred me to a clinical neuropsychologist for a full battery of tests. Although the neuropsy. confirmed I did not have early onset dementia, he diagnosed amnestic disorder and suggested, among other things, that I start taking a drug that is used to treat dementia. After a literature review concerning the use of the drug, I was unsure if the drug was appropriate. So - I consulted with a neurologist in the Memory and Alzheimer's Treatment Center at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He agreed with me that the drug was inappropriate for MCI and ordered a brain MRI (as I also have a rare clotting disorder that could, conceivably, damage the brain.) The results of the brain MRI look good (at least to me ) - some early microvascular ischemic changes only. I shall see what the neurologist says in January.

I never heard of this in a person of retirement age.

I will be 60 in a few months.

I have heard of this in little kids, or those who suffered a brain injury.

Different type of brain disorder. Someone with closed brain injury will present with different weaknesses, i.e., diminished executive functioning. The neuropsy. testing was quite specific in the deficits and there was no indication of weak executive functioning, etc.

We ALL have memory problems when you get to a certain age..

Absolutely. The neuropsych testing results compare you to others of the same age having similar levels of education.

Mine are for recent events, names, places I've gone, people I have known, and many many others.

I agree that it is difficult for most people to figure out when memory loss is normal versus abnormal. It's especially difficult if you have ADHD However, I was aware of MCI and I decided I needed to figure this all out. I concluded that I could not continue to ethically represent clients at legal proceedings if the memory loss was untreatable. Thus, I elected to undergo testing to obtain a definitive diagnosis.

Why do you think this will lead to Alzheimers?

It is not certain that this will lead to Alzheimers. But the odds that it will progress to AD are too high to ignore. Google "Mild Cognitive Impairment Amestic".

Are you sure this isn't just normal aging???

I'm sure. "The pattern of test results with excellent intellectual ability along with short-term and long-term memory functions are all typical of patients who suffer from an amnestic disorder."

Ok, I admit it. I deliberately lifted this sentence from the neuropsy. report to remind myself (and others?) that I retain "excellent intellectual ability." Given the overall subject matter, please don't hold this one hint of arrogance against me.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I don't know what your plans were, but it would seem like proximity to family is of utmost importance now and in the future. I hate to keep saying this, but family, anyone close, is so important as we age. I know there are those who are coupled and healthy and feeling like they can move anywhere, but personally, with my health history and prognosis for future, I really do want to be close to those I love, and this edges out the living in paradise dreams. Establishing ourselves in a community where we may need to settle due to medical treatments is also of prime importance. It would be soooo stressful to move once a condition is starting to accelerate. These life decisions take an awful lot of thought....
Rather tiring isn't it? I agree with you about family and my son and daughter-in-law have offered me the use of their small cottage that is within a few yards of their home. Pro: The location is somewhat rural, but relatively close to Dartmouth. Good enough in terms of treatment. In addition, the county provides senior services, i.e. transport. Con: Did I say Darmouth? Cold, very cold. My small arteries start to clot when it hits about 50 degrees. Arggh. It might not make any difference (other than discomfort), but I honestly don't know. I intend to raise the issue with my Rheumatologist.

Actually, the biggest issue remains my father. I want to spend as much time with him as possible. Lots to think about.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:13 PM

6,125 posts, read 9,081,096 times
Lenora: Thank you for the great detailed explanation. I will google this but want you to know I hope you are well for a long long time. Are you an attorney? I think most attorneys I know are all brain dead, so you are very much ahead of the game. No one needs to know this diagnosis and I hope you don't give up your profession because of it. I probably have something similar, but I don't want confirmation of it, no way. Best to you.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:00 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,035,670 times
Can you find ways to compensate for the deficits and continue a more or less normal life and work? Maybe you could change the kind of legal work you do rather than give it up and retire to a granny cottage waiting to get worse?

Sometimes things get labeled as diseases now that would not have been in the past.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:00 PM

8,136 posts, read 7,642,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Thought I'd take the opportunity to post on page 500.

First, I'd like to ask TRosa to post - I miss her great sense of humor.
Lenora, thank you for that, it's nice to be missed But I'm away keeping busy antagonizing others, mostly, in the TV section. My work here is done. But my heart will always be with you gals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Lenora: Thank you for the great detailed explanation. I will google this but want you to know I hope you are well for a long long time. Are you an attorney? I think most attorneys I know are all brain dead, so you are very much ahead of the game. No one needs to know this diagnosis and I hope you don't give up your profession because of it. I probably have something similar, but I don't want confirmation of it, no way. Best to you.

Agree with PhxBarb, thank you, and I can relate to much of what you wrote about being tested and not letting the medical professionals dismiss you by telling you it's just a part of aging; happened to me in my 40's and found my brain fogs were related to seizures, which were picked up during testing. I knew myself and was certain what was happening to me went beyond normal age related hiccups. It's scary how midway through a sentence you find people staring at you because you're not able to to to to. Not kidding it happens. That's about all I will say on the matter considering I'm off topic.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-02-2015 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: Fixed Quote

Old 11-16-2011, 04:37 PM

Thanks y'all. I'm not really worried and I don't intend to lie down and play dead. But it is something I need to consider (just in case). I may not have chosen testing but for the ethical dilemma. In terms of compensating for the deficits, it was pretty much agreed that my litigation days are over. We (the health professionals and I) are still exploring other options. It would be impossible for me to pick up other areas of law. However, it may be possible for me to set up a "virtual office" where I can assist folks who need guidance or specific documents drafted, but not necessarily representation. Have to admit, even that sounds like a lot of work.

Is all of this off-topic? Not really. Well, maybe the detailed explanation of symptoms, tests, etc for MCI. But I suspected that many of us wonder whether our symptoms are signs of normal aging but don't feel comfortable broaching the subject with others. So, I decided to share. Certainly, the location of my retirement will have to take into consideration a greater than average likelihood that I may become demented. It is what it is.

Granny Cottage? Love the phrase. If I move into the cottage, this is what I shall name my little house on the lake.

TRosa, when I visit Sarasota, I'd like to meet you. Sounds like we have a lot in common (no, no, I don't mean memory loss. ) I hope your MRI results were good and all is well with you. Soak up that sun for me.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:53 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Hey Umbria!

A friend sent me this link just for kicks, I just had to pass it along to you. What does 38,000 Euros translate to???

Property for sale in Umbria Italy, from Homes and Villas Abroad. Italian Real Estate for Sale

Not bad, eh? Click on a pic for more pics. Love that bathroom on Ref: HAVA1LC9I2715

Old 11-16-2011, 05:05 PM

121 posts, read 253,727 times
Default memory loss and other physical failings as we age

My mom had alzheimers, my dad senior dementia in his later years. We kids took care of dad, dad took care of mom until she passed. My daughter doesn't speak to me. I'm on my own! So, I moved far away and made new friends. I set up all of my bills to be paid automatically from my pension. I got a gardener and as I age and can no longer drive, I'll have meals delivered. That's the best I can do for now. We all don't have family we can count on to help us. I'm sure there are others in my boat. I'm living in my dream location and enjoying my retirement. I've also set up a family trust and gotten rid of a lot of stuff so that my ungrateful daughter whom I put thru medical school won't be inconvenienced by my eventual passing. Out of sight, out of mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement