U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-17-2011, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Reputation: 35449

Advertisements

When I first decided I wanted to move after retiring I was in the mindset that it would be like it was when I moved across country from Chicago to Portland OR. I had a job waiting for me but didn't know a soul. I really worked at making friends and trying to belong to my new city. I was 32 years old. And I did manage to build a new life for myself.

So I thought that moving to a new state in myn 60's would be much of the same. Boy was I wrong! The move has been delayed due to various reasons but I wonder now about things I never thought of before. My health isn't what it was at age 32. Sometimes I wonder if I will have the stamina to pack let alone take the long trip to another place. When I moved before I got rid of all my stuff except for clothes. Now I want to take my furniture. I can't afford to replace it but can I afford to move it? I won't be working so I have to weigh my choices carefully.

Moving now, I thought I could move anywhere and just do what I did before to become a part of the community. Now I am not so sure. Fortunately, and partly for that reason, I chose a place where I know at least one person. I don't want to be dependent upon her for company but it's nice to know I will know someone in the new place.

32 years ago, moving to another city was an adventure. Moving today is scary but I feel I must do it. I can no longer afford to live where I am at now and I am not liking it as much as I did in the past. Most of my friends have moved away.

So I guess I am saying is that decisions made when we are young can differ a lot from those similar decisions we try to make when we are older even though they are based on the same thing. I can certainly understand the desire of some of us to move but also the fear it can cause. It's not an easy decison to make no matter what the reason.

My target date or time is for next Fall.

 
Old 11-17-2011, 04:51 PM
 
491 posts, read 598,162 times
Reputation: 2095
There have been so many comments the last couple of days that I could relate to I just had to respond. I moved 6 years ago to be closer to family. With some ups and downs(my Mom died 4 monthes after I moved here, my sister's husband died 4 monthes later and she moved away) that has basically been good. My two brothers and their wives have moved here since I moved here.

When I first moved here it was kinda hard. My one brother was here and at that time not married so we spent a fair amount of time together on the weekends, but the weeks were rather long. I was 53 and quit working, altho I don't qualify for disability because I couldn't stand the pain. I tried a part time job for something to do, but that was too much. I have oesteo arthritis in my hands and other joints, I also have fibro and chronic fatigue and migraine thrown in for good measure. As I side note it took my fibro really along time to settle down after the move, I think that was just too much change.

Someone once told me to expect to not be really settled in an area for the first 2-3 years and I have found that true. It takes a while to make friends and find common ground. I did sell the house I originally bought. It just didn't feel like home. It had too many steps, it was dark, the neighborhood wasn't great-not walkable the people weren't friendly etc. When my Mom died I got a little money and decided to splurge and buy a different house, in another part of town, it is all on one floor, it is sunny, it has a deck to the north in the shade in the summer, the neighbors are friendly. My first house sold the first day it was on the market and I got out what I had in it, so it wasn't too bad. That second move just about did me in tho.

I am very greatful for the friends I have here. overal it has been a good move.
 
Old 11-17-2011, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
So I guess I am saying is that decisions made when we are young can differ a lot from those similar decisions we try to make when we are older even though they are based on the same thing. I can certainly understand the desire of some of us to move but also the fear it can cause. It's not an easy decison to make no matter what the reason.

My target date or time is for next Fall.
Hi Minervah, last I remember, you were moving to Cleveland. Is that your destination? If you do like Portland at all (?), have you looked into senior income-based housing?

It is quite pricey to have furniture moved, so unless you will be driving your own u-haul, you may want to rethink what you're taking....if I were moving far I'd just keep my bed, dresser, one table set, and a bookcase. Everything else I'd get at tag sales in my new place.
 
Old 11-17-2011, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
Originally Posted by new england girl View Post
Hi Minerva, last I remember, you were moving to Cleveland. Is that your destination? If you do like Portland at all (?), have you looked into senior income-based housing?

It is quite pricey to have furniture moved, so unless you will be driving your own u-haul, you may want to rethink what you're taking....if I were moving far I'd just keep my bed, dresser, one table set, and a bookcase. Everything else I'd get at tag sales in my new place.
Yes, it's still Cleveland. There is senior income-based housing here but things are so expensive in general, it's difficult to survive on a modest income. Besides, I have not been to fond of the city in past years. I like Cleveland and a big draw for me is the Cleveland Clinic which has researchers in the weird disease I have.

I don't drive so unless I can cajole someone to drive a u-haul I would have to hire movers. I agree with you in the stuff you would keep but I would add my sofa, actually a love seat to that. Buying new furniture is expensive too. I will just have to weigh the costs.
 
Old 11-17-2011, 11:42 PM
 
Location: In Denial
688 posts, read 1,059,690 times
Reputation: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post

When my Mom died I got a little money and decided to splurge and buy a different house, in another part of town, it is all on one floor, it is sunny, it has a deck to the north in the shade in the summer, the neighbors are friendly. My first house sold the first day it was on the market and I got out what I had in it, so it wasn't too bad. That second move just about did me in tho.
How wonderful that your mom was able to give you such a wonderful gift! The house sounds perfect. And you are fortunate that your "other" house sold so quickly. Best wishes to you.
 
Old 11-18-2011, 08:02 AM
 
491 posts, read 598,162 times
Reputation: 2095
When I moved 6 years ago, I priced out a u haul and a couple other do it yourself companies. One of my friends husbands said he would drive it, if I would pay gas for thier car, which my friend would drive and one night each way hotel(at a low cost hotel) and of course meals. My brother also offered to fly out and drive back the uhaul. I would pay for the ticket. So I figured both of those options plus roughly gas cost . Then I contacted a moving company, who came looked at what I would be taking and gave me an estimate.

The estimate was within $100 of my do it myself plan so it was a no brainer. I packed the boxes. They came with a couple of extra people to load and unload. They put things right where I wanted them. They put my bed back together. They really took care of everything. It was well worth the potential extra $100. The other thing that having someone else do it was it took away the responsiblity. I couldn't help but think how would I cope if my friend's husband died in a vehicle accident driving my stuff? Or what if a friend injured themselves moving my dresser?

I pared down before I moved. If I was doing it again, I would have let almost all of the furniture go. I would have picked up used stuff here and really have been just as happy. There probably are a couple of pieces of furniture I would have moved.

I would really recommend looking at a moving company it may be well worth the little extra.
 
Old 11-18-2011, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Arizona
419 posts, read 658,005 times
Reputation: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl205 View Post
.
SCBaker, your post was well-written as well. It seems like, for the most part, that everyone rallies around other posters. Everyone seems so suppportive. There has got to be something said for the Sun City area of Arizona as there are so many retirees there. Do you know when you plan on making the move? Best of luck when you do.
Thank you for the well wishes! I cannot put my condo here on the market until Spring. No one much interested in looking for a home in the Winter months. I will contact a realtor soon in Sun City to get the ball rolling. I will purchase a home there before selling this one. Which is a very scary thing to do. But, I should be fine with that plan as long as the economy does not collapse.
 
Old 11-18-2011, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Arizona
419 posts, read 658,005 times
Reputation: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
When I moved 6 years ago, I priced out a u haul and a couple other do it yourself companies. One of my friends husbands said he would drive it, if I would pay gas for thier car, which my friend would drive and one night each way hotel(at a low cost hotel) and of course meals. My brother also offered to fly out and drive back the uhaul. I would pay for the ticket. So I figured both of those options plus roughly gas cost . Then I contacted a moving company, who came looked at what I would be taking and gave me an estimate.

The estimate was within $100 of my do it myself plan so it was a no brainer. I packed the boxes. They came with a couple of extra people to load and unload. They put things right where I wanted them. They put my bed back together. They really took care of everything. It was well worth the potential extra $100. The other thing that having someone else do it was it took away the responsiblity. I couldn't help but think how would I cope if my friend's husband died in a vehicle accident driving my stuff? Or what if a friend injured themselves moving my dresser?

I pared down before I moved. If I was doing it again, I would have let almost all of the furniture go. I would have picked up used stuff here and really have been just as happy. There probably are a couple of pieces of furniture I would have moved.

I would really recommend looking at a moving company it may be well worth the little extra.
I agree that having people come from far away to help with a move is just not worth it. It would be very stressful trying to coordinate everything not to mention the expense.

I have an Ethan Allen bedroom suite that I purchased new in 1971. I love it just as much today even with all of the scratches as I did back in 1971. So, it must go with me. I also have several other pieces of furniture as well as boxes, but not too many. I shudder when I think of the cost of a long distance move. But, it is an expense I can't avoid since I do not have an army of movers at my disposal.
 
Old 11-18-2011, 02:31 PM
 
4,574 posts, read 7,059,483 times
Reputation: 4222
I think that most of the major movers charge by the pound with a minimum of 1,000 lb. I was told that a cross country move could cost in the area of $10k...and I just about fainted! I was hoping for under $5k. For 10 grand, I certainly could buy all new furnitue. Somebody please tell me that figure is wrong.
 
Old 11-18-2011, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Arizona
419 posts, read 658,005 times
Reputation: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I think that most of the major movers charge by the pound with a minimum of 1,000 lb. I was told that a cross country move could cost in the area of $10k...and I just about fainted! I was hoping for under $5k. For 10 grand, I certainly could buy all new furnitue. Somebody please tell me that figure is wrong.
I sure hope that is wrong. My daughter and I moved twice once in 2005 from Phoenix to Ohio and in 2007 from Ohio to Pittsburgh. Her companies paid for the moves. I think the charges were between $4,000 - $6,000. That included all packing, loading & unloading. The goods moved were 3 times more than what I have now including a heavy kiln. Of course, that was probably a corporate rate and it was quite a while ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top