U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 03:06 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,949,307 times

Advertisements

Wow! I think I will get rid of my furniture and buy used from Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. when I make a move.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:02 PM

363 posts, read 426,170 times
Default Moving cross country

When we moved from Arizona to Tennessee, we sold our place in Arizona furnished. All of our furniture was about 25 years old, nothing really expensive, and we figured we would buy whatever we needed once we settled in TN.

We had 2 pickups, one camper, and bought a 16' cargo trailer to transport our personal "stuff," including garage stuff. We thought we would have plenty of room, and when we finally got it all loaded, it was packed to the gills!!

Our plan was to live in the camper until we found a house to buy, which we did. So, picture this....I am driving one pickup pulling the cargo trailer and plants and the dog, my husband is driving the other pickup pulling the camper....all we needed was the Granny Clampett rocker on the top! At least that's what it felt like. When we stopped each night to sleep, we had our camper to stay in and it really was quite convenient. Crank up the generator for power and all the comforts of home.

Being ex-truckers, it was no big deal to us, but it sure did save money on going the U-Haul route. BTW, we have done that in the past, too.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:21 PM

363 posts, read 426,170 times
Default After the move....

.....I forgot to add that we sold the cargo trailer, so it served its purpose well.

It's just something to consider if you are downsizing drastically but still need to move some stuff. Even though it worked for us, I'm not saying it is an ideal situation for others.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:07 PM

8,134 posts, read 7,637,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Wow! I think I will get rid of my furniture and buy used from Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. when I make a move.
That's exactly what I decided to do with each new move. Anything that would cost me more to ship than rebuy was, sold, given away or donated. If I couldn't box and Fedex it, within my budget, than I had to do without it. This is one of the sacrafices of relocating, it can be a major stumbling block for many and understandable so. I sure don't want to have to make a major move any time in the near future if I don't have to.

I believe as far as shipping, I kept it under $400 using fedex lowest member rates for about 30 of the large boxes weights 25 up to 45 lbs. I weighed and printed the lables myself, that cuts the cost way down. believe me, if money were'nt an object, I'd have someone else do all the work. If you can manage getting it packed and driven across the state/country by someone else I looked into it, wasn't in my budget. I had to part with items, I truly didn't want to, but I knew I had to make the hard decisions if the move was that important to me. Frankly, I could have cut that load down in half from what I did end up shipping; a year later, I still have some of those items burried away untouched, but I just knew I was going to need them.

I bought a lovely sofa from Goodwill, $40, this was a super discount day. I wish I had my camera; I would show a pic, as it was quite a steal. Some things I'm not going to part with that may seem valueless to others but have too much meaning and are put to use, like a wall clock that belonged to my sister, the glass is broken, but it puts a smile on my face when I remember where it came from and always keeps in perfect time.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:33 PM

3,451 posts, read 2,253,177 times
Default Moving costs

I pared down my furniture and belongings before moving to Nevada from Wisconsin 18 months ago and the moving company charged me $3600. I did all of the packing and unpacking myself but they dismantled/assembled the beds and placed the furniture where I wanted it.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:01 PM

419 posts, read 657,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I pared down my furniture and belongings before moving to Nevada from Wisconsin 18 months ago and the moving company charged me $3600. I did all of the packing and unpacking myself but they dismantled/assembled the beds and placed the furniture where I wanted it.
How much furniture did you have and approx. # of boxes? Do you remember the total weight?

Old 11-18-2011, 06:35 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,214,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
That's exactly what I decided to do with each new move. Anything that would cost me more to ship than rebuy was, sold, given away or donated. If I couldn't box and Fedex it, within my budget, than I had to do without it. This is one of the sacrafices of relocating, it can be a major stumbling block for many and understandable so. I sure don't want to have to make a major move any time in the near future if I don't have to.

I believe as far as shipping, I kept it under $400 using fedex lowest member rates for about 30 of the large boxes weights 25 up to 45 lbs. I weighed and printed the lables myself, that cuts the cost way down. believe me, if money were'nt an object, I'd have someone else do all the work. If you can manage getting it packed and driven across the state/country by someone else I looked into it, wasn't in my budget. I had to part with items, I truly didn't want to, but I knew I had to make the hard decisions if the move was that important to me. Frankly, I could have cut that load down in half from what I did end up shipping; a year later, I still have some of those items burried away untouched, but I just knew I was going to need them.

I bought a lovely sofa from Goodwill, $40, this was a super discount day. I wish I had my camera; I would show a pic, as it was quite a steal. Some things I'm not going to part with that may seem valueless to others but have too much meaning and are put to use, like a wall clock that belonged to my sister, the glass is broken, but it puts a smile on my face when I remember where it came from and always keeps in perfect time.
Dumb question, perhaps, but how did you move it? Do you have a pickup truck? Friends with a truck? Rent a truck?

Old 11-18-2011, 07:03 PM

8,134 posts, read 7,637,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Dumb question, perhaps, but how did you move it? Do you have a pickup truck? Friends with a truck? Rent a truck?
They have volunteers or guys that work (freelancers) at the location to move items, rates start around $25 and up. Considering I bought several other large items, they delivered sofa, recliner, some other items for around $75.00 Later I did go back to buy more things like oh gosh, (brain fort,)the thing that holds tv matching piece, a pull out sofa for guest, other odds and ends, mover charged under $100. The TV cabinet was heavy as I don't know what, plan to take an axe to it before having to lug that thing out of this place. And the movers had to use the steps, as most items wouldn't fit in elevator. Gotta run. Grimm is on.

Back from watching Grimm added note. I figure it would have cost several times over to move my previously owned sofa (btw, not in as good condition as the one I have now), including the cost of paying to have all the new furniture moved from the Goodwill to my now location. Besides, though I enjoy looking at beautiful things, my priority is where and how I live my life, not obsessing over and looking at possessions that won't truly measure my worth as a human being. especially since I don't have a pot to ee in I might feel different if I win the lottery.

Last edited by TRosa; 11-18-2011 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: Added notation

Old 11-18-2011, 07:40 PM

3,451 posts, read 2,253,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
How much furniture did you have and approx. # of boxes? Do you remember the total weight?
I'm sorry -- don't remember and don't have the paperwork anymore. I think I had about 50 boxes. I moved from a 3-bedroom 1500 sq. foot home if that helps.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:49 PM

433 posts, read 991,525 times
National moving companies do charge by weight. I paid $2,200 to move 3060 pounds 1500 miles a year and a half ago and paid another moving company $2,050 to move 2400 pounds 1300 miles a few months ago. Both times I did all of my own packing except for a few mirrors. I had 75 cardboard boxes of different sizes, 5 cardboard wardrobes, and minimum furniture -- an entertainment center, bookcase, a few chairs and tables.

Before doing any move it's worth it to get rid of everything you don't need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement