Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 03:24 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,122,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
When I finally get to CO you can come visit (we'll go kidnap LC)
That would be a hoot.....LC, watch out~~~

Old 12-05-2011, 03:26 PM

[quote=Umbria;21992270]
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I want down home too, nothing fancy, tiny home or shared home, a place for a garden, a place to grow my own flowers....especially love lavender..... I would like to leave

Let me know when you're going - I plan to go out spring/early summer also.
Have you made definite travel plans yet? Ohhh, I want to make a meadow garden too..... perfect for an arid area.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:31 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,013,070 times
Default Live Content~~~~~~~~~

If you read this - do you know anything about the Anthem Village in Broomfield, CO? It's a 55+ place and an agent sent me the current listings. The houses are small, 1 level, but are expensive for what you get ($260,000 on up).

If you don't respond here I may DM you.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:36 PM

[quote=popcorn247;21992368]
Quote:

Have you made definite travel plans yet? Ohhh, I want to make a meadow garden too..... perfect for an arid area.
Not yet - but I need to get out there and scope out what area I want to end up in. I want to visit the Anthem Village in Broomfield, CO (not far from LC, I think - maybe he'd like to go with us). I will be driving out and plan to take my 2 mutts.

I also want to scope out Fort Collins & Colorado Springs as well as Stapleton in Denver.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,678 posts, read 57,964,398 times
I scoped Stapleton Village last trip, but metro Denver is not for me AND those prices are WAY unreasonable (tho some folks must be paying it). There are SO MANY bargains in CO and most other places, I would be heading out there and pick me up a spot. The heck with the MSP winter. (BTW, Broomfield is not too close to LC, I think he is SE (IIRC) and Broomfield is NE. I just couldn't do the 'brown haze' of Denver.

If you don't do Loveland (which is seeing a HUGE property spike due to new NASA funded energy project buying my ole 'HP' site... We (employees) had full electric cars and plug-ins in the EARLY 1970's...)
Then get yourself a nice spot within walking distance of a nice older community in CS, or out by Garden of the Gods. My cousins moved from San Diego to CS 2 summers ago, and absolutley love it. (avid outdoors / ski / community service / school volunteers ...). They have a 180 degree view of the frt range from a very affordable home (north of town, near AF Academy, which was really in the boonies when I left CO).

Just My $.02

PS...(Don't forget that Wisteria was lurking in Boulder back in the 1970's, invite her to your 'party' !!)

BTW: I found a 4 plex @ $240k with a GOOD cash flow in west Loveland (walking distance to Safeway). If you bought something like that, You could BE living in a unit for free !!! Consider that next time you are out shoveling snow ). My stepdad built some of those complexes in the 1960's (rent was ~$150 at the time).

Just nab one of these townhouses for a decent location and low maint / nice neighborhood / ez resale if you buy for right price.
http://www.cohomefinder.com/browse-c...omes-homes.htm

Old 12-06-2011, 09:24 PM

I plan to look at Loveland too. Stapleton sounds like a place I could enjoy but I agree - the prices are out of line.

Ft Collins interests me because I just might get a bigger place and rent out rooms to grad students - could be interesting.

I'll give the duplex thing some thought - it would have to be the right one.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:05 PM

179 posts, read 141,366 times
Quote:
I plan to look at Loveland too. Stapleton sounds like a place I could enjoy but I agree - the prices are out of line.

Ft Collins interests me because I just might get a bigger place and rent out rooms to grad students - could be interesting.

I'll give the duplex thing some thought - it would have to be the right one.
Is Cheyenne a consideration? No state taxes, many grocery stores/ammenities,
airport, intersection of I-25 and I-80? Outdoor activites are all around, new and expanding walking trails, lots of friendly neighbors. Low crime stats, employment is expanding in Laramie county (as well as most counties in the entire state!). BUT my lord the wind sometimes drives me nuts. We have a very short growing season unless you have a hothouse/greenhouse thingy. Oh, the botanical garden is a must see! I hope it is expanded and enclosed so that the facility can be used more fully (like growing vegies for the county school district to supplement nutrition for the kids!)

Old 12-17-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farseeker2 View Post
airport, intersection of I-25 and I-80? Outdoor activites are all around, new and expanding walking trails, lots of friendly neighbors. Low crime stats, employment is expanding in Laramie county (as well as most counties in the entire state!). BUT my lord the wind sometimes drives me nuts. We have a very short growing season unless you have a hothouse/greenhouse thingy. Oh, the botanical garden is a must see! I hope it is expanded and enclosed so that the facility can be used more fully (like growing vegies for the county school district to supplement nutrition for the kids!)
I received an email from the Cheyenne Botanical Garden stating that they are in desparate need of donations to help rebuild their greenhouse complex/conservatory. Evidently it is aging and in need of replacement. Just passing this along in case anyone would like to help.

I am considering Tennessee as a possible place to retire. So much cheaper, relatively mild winters, mountains, good climate for gardening, etc. Decisions, decisions. It is close enough to me to drive up for visits, scoping out.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I have never been to WY. I lived in CO before and came to love it and am now set on going back. I'm quite sure I will finally visit WY, especially if I end up in Fort Collins - it's so close.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:44 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,959,420 times
Quote:
Beware of fracking in/near Cheyenne:
EPA: Fracking may cause groundwater pollution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.