U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 04:46 AM

179 posts, read 120,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I received an email from the Cheyenne Botanical Garden stating that they are in desparate need of donations to help rebuild their greenhouse complex/conservatory. Evidently it is aging and in need of replacement. Just passing this along in case anyone would like to help.

I am considering Tennessee as a possible place to retire. So much cheaper, relatively mild winters, mountains, good climate for gardening, etc. Decisions, decisions. It is close enough to me to drive up for visits, scoping out.
The need for donations is two-fold: expanding without taxpayer dollars, and the fact that many, many groups would like to hold lunches/conferences there as well as school trips (some groups of Asian schoolkids were there a few weeks ago). A lovely place, not beat-up or trashy. Expansion would benefit all, and not just a few. Desparate, not hardly!!

Old 12-22-2011, 10:31 PM

4,407 posts, read 5,929,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farseeker2 View Post
Is Cheyenne a consideration? No state taxes, many grocery stores/ammenities,
airport, intersection of I-25 and I-80? Outdoor activites are all around, new and expanding walking trails, lots of friendly neighbors. Low crime stats, employment is expanding in Laramie county (as well as most counties in the entire state!). BUT my lord the wind sometimes drives me nuts. We have a very short growing season unless you have a hothouse/greenhouse thingy. Oh, the botanical garden is a must see! I hope it is expanded and enclosed so that the facility can be used more fully (like growing vegies for the county school district to supplement nutrition for the kids!)
This made me laugh. I worked with a guy who said he lived a year or two in Wyoming, or North Dakota, or somewhere out there, but eventually came back home to Philly. He was a sort-of grizzled hippie type who seemed like he would've been a natural fit out there. When I asked him why he moved back, he said, "It was too windy". I thought he was kidding....but he wasn't. He said it was so windy, ALL THE TIME, that his dog didn't even want to go outside! I found that hilarious that the wind was his reason for coming back.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Having bore the WY winds in my childhood, I am well prepared for my current 'winds of change'. (Columbia River Gorge). ~ 30 mph sustained and 50 mph gusts today (24F = 7F windchill) & that is MILD. I was working outside ~ 6 hrs, so ready to hibernate tonight. At least it wasn't raining (the usual weather). When the barb wire fences get 4" thick with ice (horizontal icicles), I know the power will be going out soon (and for many days,) as power company cannot get up the mtn to my area when it is iced up.

Unlike WY / Colorado, here I can watch the wind blow, as clouds below me head to Pacific, and clouds above are heading inland to WY and beyond. The refraction of light is very fascinating, as the COLD and WIND, is very similar to heat waves coming off hot asphalt roads in summer. The horizon gets all fuzzy and airplane's lights jump all over the sky (UFO's ).

After a few days of cold wind, I get icicles growing from the ground, (extracting moisture in the ground). This is very interesting, they are bent over due to the wind. I will try to get some pics of them this winter. I have never seen such before.

The cats and dog really wanted in tonight, guess they will have to all sleep together OUTSIDE...

The wind did help me cut my Christmas Tree today, There was a 40 ft tall tree getting in my view, so I took the top out of it for a 20' indoor tree (Charlie Brown style). Unfortunately, the wind was a bit tough on the top and branches when it fell. I had to do some orthopedic surgery to reattach some limbs. (and top).

Cheyenne for retirement... not for this ex-prairie kid.... Laramie I would do (reluctantly,) but it is MUCH closer to beauty, and has great college activities, and IS NOT the State Capital (which would make me gag... I'm not keen on politics (-ians) ICK!). Retired State workers can be a stretch too... Similar terrain but much more engaging would be Las Cruces, which is too HOT for me, but is very nice / has 'engaged' & 'intelligent' retirement population, and is plenty windy / dusty. Downtown Cheyenne has always been a 'downer' for me. It has had more than a few empty businesses in the 50 yrs I remember. Now Chugwater, Torrington, Douglas (all fairly close), I could do, but NOT Casper, Gillette, Rock Springs (and BILL, WY). Somewhere I need to draw the line.

Ideally in WY, I would retire in Burgess Jct, but that being impossible (road closed in Winter)... You will find me in Sheridan, Powell, or Star Valley (Afton area). That is IF I cannot get a retirement job feeding / counting Elk in the Teton Elk Reserve .National Elk Refuge
Teton Elk Reserve - Google Search

One float trip down the SNAKE River, from Jackson Dam to Jackson hole, sealed my fate for 'desiring paradise'. There were only 5 of us and 2 rafts and a canoe. PEACEFUL, quiet, amazingly close to wildlife (when we were Quiet)
Snake river float trip

Old 12-23-2011, 03:51 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,954,783 times
What is it about Sheridan, Powell or Star Valley that you like so much?

Old 12-23-2011, 08:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
What is it about Sheridan, Powell or Star Valley that you like so much?
Pretty, VERY pretty.. Close to Mtns, but not touristy (like Cody would be, ick).

Powell and Sheridan have colleges and Powell has "The Merc"
Rural Co-Ops: Saving Shopping Options : NPR
Quote:
The result is "The Merc," short for mercantile. It's a small-scale department store with a variety of clothes for children, women and men. Eight hundred shares in the store were offered at $500 each, raising $400,000.

Retired pharmacist Ken Witzeling, who chairs the mercantile's board, says The Merc gives Powell more than just another place to shop.

"People up and down the street, they proudly say this is our store," he says. "It isn't that store or this store. It's our store."
(that alone is reason enough for ME (a Co-op developer...)).. but ALL areas I mentioned are AG Centric, I find the people and culture hard to beat. (Honesty, fortitude, strong town / regional support, Hard / HARD workers... I catch A LOT of flack for being that type in a 'CA' type left coast environment).

Got work?
Bring it on and lets 'get-ur-done'

Old 12-24-2011, 03:26 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,954,783 times
I think you've hit 'the nail on the head' as far as I am concerned. I grew up in the midwest in an area with lots of agriculture.....and manufacturing as well. I majored in hort/ag at the university (Purdue). But upon graduating....I moved to an area that has some ag, but certainly is not ag centric! I miss it! I miss the type of people! I think I've mentioned that my Great Aunt & Uncle homesteaded in Powell beginning in 1913. Thanks for clarifying things.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:01 AM

205 posts, read 360,091 times
Here's wishing all you wonderful, strong, courageous, wild and wacky women (and those few good men) a very Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanza, and Happy Holidays and best of New Year's wishes for a great 2012!

Old 12-25-2011, 11:55 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,220,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
Here's wishing all you wonderful, strong, courageous, wild and wacky women (and those few good men) a very Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanza, and Happy Holidays and best of New Year's wishes for a great 2012!
Same to you Karcon! Best wishes.

Lenora

Old 12-25-2011, 11:58 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
And the same to you~~~~~~~~~~

Old 12-27-2011, 02:46 PM

967 posts, read 919,699 times
Hope everyone had a happy holiday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement