U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 05:32 PM

16 posts, read 19,714 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I came upon this subject of Women retiring alone. There are over 500 posts and I started to read them but realized it will take a very long time. I am female, 57 and pretty much alone. I have been doing research for a long time now on where will be best for me to be all alone and I haven't come up with anything. I live in North Jersey. The main thing I am looking for will be a friendly place with reasonable weather. Anyone have any ideas for me?

Old 12-29-2011, 09:02 PM

895 posts, read 1,333,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorMyWorld View Post
Hello,

I came upon this subject of Women retiring alone. There are over 500 posts and I started to read them but realized it will take a very long time. I am female, 57 and pretty much alone. I have been doing research for a long time now on where will be best for me to be all alone and I haven't come up with anything. I live in North Jersey. The main thing I am looking for will be a friendly place with reasonable weather. Anyone have any ideas for me?
LOL and welcome.....you fit the profile of the gypsies here...
the comforting thing you will find is the recognition that wondering & wandering are somewhat the nature of this particular crowd. Reading the many posts will give you some ideas on places which will then lead you to read other threads found in this particular forum on retirement, frugal living and what not.

I recently saw something about cultural rites of passage and the recognition of menopause in other societies or times as a positive transition. It even had a most creative title for it and indeed, most of us are surely "women of the fourteenth moon". You will find all sorts of answers here but more than that you will find there are others with the same questions.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:18 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,994,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
LOL and welcome.....you fit the profile of the gypsies here...
the comforting thing you will find is the recognition that wondering & wandering are somewhat the nature of this particular crowd. Reading the many posts will give you some ideas on places which will then lead you to read other threads found in this particular forum on retirement, frugal living and what not.

I recently saw something about cultural rites of passage and the recognition of menopause in other societies or times as a positive transition. It even had a most creative title for it and indeed, most of us are surely "women of the fourteenth moon". You will find all sorts of answers here but more than that you will find there are others with the same questions.
I love "women of the fourteenth moon"--kind of sounds like nebulous state I'm always in (nebula: interstellar cloud of dust) Tomorrow, New Year's Eve, is my birthday...another year bites the interstellar dust... I wish everyone on this venerated thread a very creative, positive, unusually wonderful New Near.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:10 AM

419 posts, read 658,544 times
Happy Birthday! NEG. A double celebration for you tomorrow night.

Just think you are getting nearer to medicare age at which time you will really be a senior citizen. A pretty good place to be.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:35 AM

6,955 posts, read 7,400,186 times
Default Happy Birthday, NEG!!!

And welcome Color~~~~

This thread isn't as active as it use to be. Some have moved but it seems most have stayed in their original areas, due to many different reasons, one being this current economy.

Best of luck finding your spot

Old 12-31-2011, 01:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,652 posts, read 40,020,325 times
Quote:
... The main thing I am looking for will be a friendly place with reasonable weather. Anyone have any ideas for me?
reasonable weather... just guessing here (looking at Moderate, not knowing if you prefer hot, cool, humidity, desert...)

from proximity to NJ...
NE TN (Tri-cities, Greeneville, Knoxville, Oak Ridge, Crossville, and down I-35 to Pleasant Hill (Uplands) various ages here.(and TN is tax friendly too)

NC, Asheville and surrounding (I-40 again...)

Mtns of Western SC, GA

Then parts of TX (few parts if you don't like heat, but Hill Country is good choice for TX) San Antonio / Austin / Fredericksburg (I like Kerrville and Wimberley))(and TX is tax friendly too... high property, so buy a mobile home, in a resident owned community)

Las Cruces, NM
Sierra Grande, / Tuscon / Prescott, AZ

Ft Collins / Loveland, CO (usually only a few snows / yr... gone by noon) Lots of sun(CO is tax fair /moderate to low for seniors)

So California (Many places, I like near San Diego) (CA IS NOT tax Friendly)
Coastal CA
Brookings, Medford, Roseburg, Eugene, Corvallis, Portland, OR
Vancouver, Olympia, Sequim, Bellingham, (Puget Sound) (or inland, Walla Walla) WA.(WA is tax friendly too, live near OR (for shopping) and no Sales Tax either))

Mtn and midwest are cold, windy, and potentially snowy, but a few good spots... Plains / Missoula MT, Powell / Sheridan, WY Spearfish / Sturgis, SD (and SD & WY are tax friendly too)

These are Just a few places. let us know what you want, then we can help direct your choices.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:06 PM

363 posts, read 427,126 times
Default This is a great place to be!

Quote:
Hello,

Welcome ColorMyWorld. This is a great thread with a wealth of information and some wonderful people. It is well worth taking the time to read all the posts, at your own pace of course. For me, it was better than reading a great novel or travel book!! Even if you only read a few posts/pages per day, you will gather some ideas/things you may have never considered, as well as some places you may never have given another thought to.

I am not yet retired or alone (62 and working part-time), but I am anticipating that some day I will be (hope to be retired at least). I like to think of my future options, that is what led me to read this thread. It took me a long time to read all the posts, but by the time I did get caught up, it prompted me to join in the discussions. I felt like I had made new friends! It is nice to know that I am not alone and there are a lot of women out there that share the same thoughts, cares and concerns. There is a lot of support here too.

I live in middle Tennessee, and the cost of living is very reasonable, the scenery is beautiful, and there are a lot of friendly people here. We moved here from Arizona and didn't know a soul. The only complaint I have is the humidity in the summer. By the way, we have made some wonderful friendships here.

Best of luck in finding your ideal place! And best wishes for a healthy and happy new year.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:51 AM

205 posts, read 360,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I love "women of the fourteenth moon"--kind of sounds like nebulous state I'm always in (nebula: interstellar cloud of dust) Tomorrow, New Year's Eve, is my birthday...another year bites the interstellar dust... I wish everyone on this venerated thread a very creative, positive, unusually wonderful New Near.
How fascinating is the "Women of the Fourteenth Moon." Had never heard of this before and starting to research this whole subject. Wished I had known about it earlier but think women are always in the process of restoring their sacred selves.

And Happy Birthday NEG - I reached the Magic Medicare Age two weeks ago - good thing is that the prescription I take now costs me half of what it did BM (before Medicare). Still do not know how this happened

And welcome to you ColorMyWorld: this thread is a godsend - whether you are just starting down the journey of trying to decide your place in this life or still in the process. Even those of us who have made some transitions are still looking. I have found that though weather may be important finding a sense of community is really the hardest thing. I wish you luck as you begin your journey. Just know you have a support system here. We may not have the answers but you have a sounding board for the bad days - and the good ones!

Happy New Year to all of you.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:38 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,751,034 times
NEG... Happy Belated Birthday!!!

Old 01-02-2012, 06:20 PM

16 posts, read 19,714 times
Hi All and Happy New Year. I am up to post 60 which was back in October 2008 so I am getting a wealth of information and these posts read like a mystery book where I can't wait to find out what happens next.

I find it so hard to understand that out of 7 billion people on the planet that some of us, like myself, are alone. I would love to have a group of women/men to move someplace with, not communal, but in the same building or neighborhood. As long as it is not too cold/snowy I am not that particular and also access to decent health care.

I had a friend whose family bought an apartment building. There were about 100 apartments in the building. They divided the income from the rental on the apartments. My friend lived in the apartment since he was single. The rest of his family had their own homes because they had families. From what he told me the apartment building was run like a business as far as having a group rate on hospitalization and certain business benefits. I think it is a fascinating entrepreneurial idea to buy an apartment building. My poor friend died about three years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement