U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 01-02-2012, 09:24 PM
 
Location: New England
11,395 posts, read 7,244,276 times
Reputation: 7799
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
NEG... Happy Belated Birthday!!!
Thanks! It was an unusually good one. All the kids remembered to call, two actually showed up with gifts, even the ex gave me a gift and lunch. Strange being in a new place this year. NEG still has restless mind syndrome, we will see where she is at the end of 2012!

ETA: I just want to add that what I am most grateful for at this birthday is decent health. It is a most precious commodity. I sincerely send the wish of good, vibrant health to everyone on this wonderful thread. I hope we will all do more to improve our diet and exercise this year. We all need to be around till a ripe old age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2012, 08:35 AM
 
Location: delaware
478 posts, read 304,087 times
Reputation: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thanks! It was an unusually good one. All the kids remembered to call, two actually showed up with gifts, even the ex gave me a gift and lunch. Strange being in a new place this year. NEG still has restless mind syndrome, we will see where she is at the end of 2012!

ETA: I just want to add that what I am most grateful for at this birthday is decent health. It is a most precious commodity. I sincerely send the wish of good, vibrant health to everyone on this wonderful thread. I hope we will all do more to improve our diet and exercise this year. We all need to be around till a ripe old age.

NEG-
i don't usually post on this thread, but it may be a lop-sided fit ( live alone, significant other here a lot ).

i was interested in your references to being restless and wanting change, as it pertains - or doesn't - to your astrological sign. if your birthday is 12/31, you're a capricorn, as you know, but that is often, depending on other planetary placements, a very stable, practical earth sign. yes, i know, the validity of astrology is extremely questionable, but i've always found it interesting. so, i'm wondering if you've ever had an interest in having your chart done, and if so, do you have a lot of air signs? these , as you may know, are usually the more restless signs.

my birth sign is in cancer- water,absorbed in the past, moody, domestic, maternal- but for me that is only very partially true. my moon (emotions ) placement is in aquarius- air sign which is direct opposite of cancer, and i can see many of those traits( detached, future oriented) , in myself as well.

i'm just curious. i don't read horoscopes but still find the astrology angle interesting.

a very belated happy birthday and the best for the new year!

catsy girl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 03:43 PM
 
Location: New England
11,395 posts, read 7,244,276 times
Reputation: 7799
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
NEG-
i was interested in your references to being restless and wanting change, as it pertains - or doesn't - to your astrological sign. if your birthday is 12/31, you're a capricorn, as you know, but that is often, depending on other planetary placements, a very stable, practical earth sign. yes, i know, the validity of astrology is extremely questionable, but i've always found it interesting. so, i'm wondering if you've ever had an interest in having your chart done, and if so, do you have a lot of air signs? these , as you may know, are usually the more restless signs.

my birth sign is in cancer- water,absorbed in the past, moody, domestic, maternal- but for me that is only very partially true. my moon (emotions ) placement is in aquarius- air sign which is direct opposite of cancer, and i can see many of those traits( detached, future oriented) , in myself as well.

i'm just curious. i don't read horoscopes but still find the astrology angle interesting.

a very belated happy birthday and the best for the new year!

catsy girl
I don't want to shock you, but I'm a triple Capricorn That's right, sun, moon, and rising all Cap (earth sign). Can't get any more intense and earthy than that! Plus, four more signs in Cap, with a bit of fire, Scorpio midheaven, and no air whatsoever. I'm not flighty in the slightest. Practical and conscious to the Nth degree (tired of that). Capricorn is ruled by wise (and sometimes dour) old man Saturn, which has those lovely mysterious rings around it, keeping the planet "bound" and isolated, rather aloof. That's me...dreaming about floating beyond those rings all the time. Restlessness and desire for change getting more so as I age. (BTW, if you're into the serious side of astrology, read Dane Rudhyar.)

Thanks for the birthday wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 08:30 PM
 
Location: delaware
478 posts, read 304,087 times
Reputation: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I don't want to shock you, but I'm a triple Capricorn That's right, sun, moon, and rising all Cap (earth sign). Can't get any more intense and earthy than that! Plus, four more signs in Cap, with a bit of fire, Scorpio midheaven, and no air whatsoever. I'm not flighty in the slightest. Practical and conscious to the Nth degree (tired of that). Capricorn is ruled by wise (and sometimes dour) old man Saturn, which has those lovely mysterious rings around it, keeping the planet "bound" and isolated, rather aloof. That's me...dreaming about floating beyond those rings all the time. Restlessness and desire for change getting more so as I age. (BTW, if you're into the serious side of astrology, read Dane Rudhyar.)

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

i have several friends who are capricorn but i don't think any are triple.
my sun sign is water( on the cusp of fire ) but moon and rising signs are air, and that combination seems to me to be an accurate description, as i see myself. i do think i've become more "airey" as i've gotten older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
108 posts, read 109,283 times
Reputation: 334
Default Happy New Year women retiring alone!

Thought I'd check in and add my 2 cents worth for the new year. I've listed my house for sale and there has been oodles of work to do. I've had to hire contractors to correct the deferred maintenance issues! Had to hire gardeners, house cleaners, painters, psychologists! This move to my little spot of paradise is really taking a toll on my life savings!

The home I bought more then a year ago for retirement is waiting for me. I was looking for paradise but couldn't make up my mind where paradise is.

I love aspects of hundreds of locales. No one place has it all. In honor of my big 1300 mile move, I've decided to eventually buy a light weight travel trailer so that I can visit all those other places on my wish list with my two huge German Shepherds and one fancy cat in tow! My little truck tows nicely but after four trips towing heavy loads for 1300 miles over 5000 ft mountain passes, my baby needs a brake job (and mayber something else like a transmission service! )
I've been asked many times why I'm leaving a perfectly good house that's paid for in a beautiful location in Southern California where I've lived the past 19 years. I have about four standard answers I give out.

1. California taxes are too high
2. I have family up north
3. I have no family here because they all moved away
4. The summers are too hot here in inland So. Cal.

The real answer is: I WANT A CHANGE OF SCENERY!

So, I'm moving! I'm taking a beating on my So California house due to market downturns but that's the way the forune cookie crumbles!
May 2012 bring blessings, good health, good fortune and happiness to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 04:35 AM
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
363 posts, read 177,891 times
Reputation: 672
Default Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwinds View Post
Thought I'd check in and add my 2 cents worth for the new year. I've listed my house for sale and there has been oodles of work to do. I've had to hire contractors to correct the deferred maintenance issues! Had to hire gardeners, house cleaners, painters, psychologists! This move to my little spot of paradise is really taking a toll on my life savings!

The home I bought more then a year ago for retirement is waiting for me. I was looking for paradise but couldn't make up my mind where paradise is.

I love aspects of hundreds of locales. No one place has it all. In honor of my big 1300 mile move, I've decided to eventually buy a light weight travel trailer so that I can visit all those other places on my wish list with my two huge German Shepherds and one fancy cat in tow! My little truck tows nicely but after four trips towing heavy loads for 1300 miles over 5000 ft mountain passes, my baby needs a brake job (and mayber something else like a transmission service! )
I've been asked many times why I'm leaving a perfectly good house that's paid for in a beautiful location in Southern California where I've lived the past 19 years. I have about four standard answers I give out.

1. California taxes are too high
2. I have family up north
3. I have no family here because they all moved away
4. The summers are too hot here in inland So. Cal.

The real answer is: I WANT A CHANGE OF SCENERY!

So, I'm moving! I'm taking a beating on my So California house due to market downturns but that's the way the forune cookie crumbles!
May 2012 bring blessings, good health, good fortune and happiness to all!
Congratulations Fairwinds for taking charge of your life!! Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into your decision. I grew up in Santa Ana, and have no desire to move back. None of my family is left there, either. Do you care to share where you will end up in your new place? Just curious, not trying to be nosey.

Best wishes for a healthy and happy new year and hope the transition goes smoothly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 12:23 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW / CO / SA TX / Thailand
10,502 posts, read 16,710,307 times
Reputation: 7383
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl205 View Post
Congratulations Fairwinds for taking charge of your life!! ....
Best wishes for a healthy and happy new year and hope the transition goes smoothly
And hope the transmission makes at least one more trip up I-5

There is a guy on CL who weekly runs a pickup and trailer between Seattle and LA (and regions nearby). I have used him to bring me 'stuff' from CA... yikes more STUFF He has been known to get delayed a few days... (and I seriously doubt he is legal / well insured). I also use 'u-ship' (Like eBay, but for shippers to bid on your load).


Good luck, and I hope INCOME tax free WA is good to you in retirement. It worked for my CAREER, but not sure it will make it for my shoestring retirement. I will likely end up with a SD USA domicile (income tax free w/one 'overnight' / yr) and be living in Philippines / Malaysia / Thailand for affordable healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 12:40 PM
 
3,172 posts, read 3,258,006 times
Reputation: 2304
Default The real answer is: I WANT A CHANGE OF SCENERY!

When it really comes down to it, that is my reason for wanting to leave SoCal too. Never really been "in love" with it here (except maybe the first couple of years).

Best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Oregon
1,205 posts, read 2,283,931 times
Reputation: 1051
Default Fairwinds ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwinds View Post
Thought I'd check in and add my 2 cents worth for the new year. I've listed my house for sale and there has been oodles of work to do. I've had to hire contractors to correct the deferred maintenance issues! Had to hire gardeners, house cleaners, painters, psychologists! This move to my little spot of paradise is really taking a toll on my life savings!

The home I bought more then a year ago for retirement is waiting for me. I was looking for paradise but couldn't make up my mind where paradise is.

I love aspects of hundreds of locales. No one place has it all. In honor of my big 1300 mile move, I've decided to eventually buy a light weight travel trailer so that I can visit all those other places on my wish list with my two huge German Shepherds and one fancy cat in tow! My little truck tows nicely but after four trips towing heavy loads for 1300 miles over 5000 ft mountain passes, my baby needs a brake job (and mayber something else like a transmission service! )
I've been asked many times why I'm leaving a perfectly good house that's paid for in a beautiful location in Southern California where I've lived the past 19 years. I have about four standard answers I give out.

1. California taxes are too high
2. I have family up north
3. I have no family here because they all moved away
4. The summers are too hot here in inland So. Cal.

The real answer is: I WANT A CHANGE OF SCENERY!

So, I'm moving! I'm taking a beating on my So California house due to market downturns but that's the way the forune cookie crumbles!
May 2012 bring blessings, good health, good fortune and happiness to all!
I admire you for making the decision and following through with the process. I'm still stuck (mostly in my mind) not wanting to take the financial beating in this down market, but I just don't know I suspect you are much younger than I am ~ maybe my sense of adventure is just fading away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 08:31 PM
 
486 posts, read 287,804 times
Reputation: 812
hello! i don't mean to discourage anyone, but must admit that My reality of the cross-country move was much more difficult than I thought it would be---as I said, "my reality", not necessarilly anyone else's. Took an awful lot out of me, and i was 59 when i moved, although have health issues. so my advice is: do it sooner than later!

Sorry---thoughts kinda dis-jointed tonight, so not expressing myself well. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top