U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 01:02 PM

173 posts, read 441,529 times

Advertisements

I'll have to go back and read the 500+ replies sometime. Great thread! I still consider home Alaska, but bought a cabin in N GA an hour from my elderly parents to spend winters. I already know I don't want to stay here permanently, but can't decide on other places and the market here is horrid. I'll have the cabin a long time, but may try to rent in other places in a year or two. I'm looking for a place with pretty low cost of living, milder summers, and good trails and want to be close to entertainment and classes.

I don't mind a little cold and snow, but prefer it in a place that knows how to manage it and don't want 6 months of it. I also want to avoid really hot and humid summers. I still go to AK for summers (no place like it!) but am not sure if I can keep affording that long term.

The spot I'm in is pretty, very cheap and easy to leave for long periods, but there aren't good walking or biking trails and any entertainment is 30-40 min away. No "life long learning" classes either which I enjoy. Hopefully, I've learned something. : )

I will rent a year or two before I buy next time.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:01 AM

121 posts, read 253,641 times
Default Cross country moves are a challenge for do it yourselfers!

Stealth Rabbit; I don't blame you for looking for a cheaper place to live with those outrageous property taxes your being forced to pay! I chose WA for the lack of taxes on my pension. I chose an area just outside of Sequim on the northern Olympic Peninsula. My property taxes are reasonable and the property is large, secluded and wooded with a year round creek in a U-shaped canyon about 100 feet down. You can find properties with a nice home similar to mine from $160,000 to $ 250,000. Less will get you a decent home in Port Angeles on a large lot in a decent neighborhood and more will get you a Strait of Juan de Fuca view on a large lot with a nice large home and rental studio over the garage. (about $398,000 for Sequim waterfront) Prices up there have dropped again in the past year. There are some deals to be had and buyers are snapping the good ones up soon as they hit the market! The not so good deals aren't moving. Typical!

Old 01-09-2012, 12:13 AM

121 posts, read 253,641 times
Color My World; the best weather in the world (in my opinion) is coastal San Diego County, California. Many thousands of people have discovered this little secret which creates traffic jams and high cost of living. Supply and demand at work. If you go inland about 15 miles in San Diego county (not city) you can get a nice home for $160,000.00. You will still enjoy cooler summers if you're near the coast. If you go too far inland (25 or more miles) be prepared for really high (105 degree F or higher) summers.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:41 AM

4,572 posts, read 7,055,913 times
I live in SD and I don't know anywhere you could get a home for $160k, even inland...not even a condo really. Maybe way out in East County. Most homes anywhere in SD County are at least in the $300's. I wouldn't recommend SD for older people because of the cost of living, state taxes your pensions, everything is taxed here, and just driving around is difficult the older one gets. Every older person in my complex (I'm talking people in their 70-80's really never leave, just maybe to go to a nearby store (which definitely are plentiful) but again it's heavy traffic wherever you go. Unless you live in a very exclusive area, I find it to be a quite noisy place to live...lots of street noise. Whenever I go on vacation I always notice how quiet it is compared to SD. Can't argue that it has the best weather in the United States....although not as warm year-round as alot of people think. Most people retiring are fleeing California in droves.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:02 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I live in SD and I don't know anywhere you could get a home for $160k, even inland...not even a condo really. Maybe way out in East County. Most homes anywhere in SD County are at least in the $300's. I wouldn't recommend SD for older people because of the cost of living, state taxes your pensions, everything is taxed here, and just driving around is difficult the older one gets. Every older person in my complex (I'm talking people in their 70-80's really never leave, just maybe to go to a nearby store (which definitely are plentiful) but again it's heavy traffic wherever you go. Unless you live in a very exclusive area, I find it to be a quite noisy place to live...lots of street noise. Whenever I go on vacation I always notice how quiet it is compared to SD. Can't argue that it has the best weather in the United States....although not as warm year-round as alot of people think. Most people retiring are fleeing California in droves.
Somehow I keep forgetting where you live. Doesn't SD have some pretty harsh winters? Are you still thinking of moving away when you retire? Any more definite ideas?

Old 01-12-2012, 12:26 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Somehow I keep forgetting where you live. Doesn't SD have some pretty harsh winters? Are you still thinking of moving away when you retire? Any more definite ideas?
I believe SD = San Diego

Old 01-12-2012, 01:29 PM

Yup, San Diego. No harsh winters here! Will be relocating when I retire but no closer to a definite place yet, more a process of elimination. As much as I love New England, I just don't think I could handle those winter temperatures again. I love parts of Virginia but it's an expensive place to live too. I never could see myself living in "the south" because I don't like heat but North Carolina is still on my list. Seems like most places you have to decide on whether you can handle the heat or the cold....I have a feeling I'll land someplace I haven't even considered yet

Old 01-12-2012, 01:40 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,950,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Yup, San Diego. No harsh winters here! Will be relocating when I retire but no closer to a definite place yet, more a process of elimination. As much as I love New England, I just don't think I could handle those winter temperatures again. I love parts of Virginia but it's an expensive place to live too. I never could see myself living in "the south" because I don't like heat but North Carolina is still on my list. Seems like most places you have to decide on whether you can handle the heat or the cold....I have a feeling I'll land someplace I haven't even considered yet
Do you consider SD a cheaper place to live than Virginia?

Old 01-12-2012, 03:24 PM

generally I would say they are about the same. People moving from one place to the other aren't going to be shocked at the cost of living either way.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:29 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I believe SD = San Diego
Aha! I thought SD meant South Dakota!

Who in their right mind would move away from San Diego?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement