U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-12-2012, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,994,426 times
Reputation: 15649

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
generally I would say they are about the same. People moving from one place to the other aren't going to be shocked at the cost of living either way.
Not at all true. (Maybe for northern VA, but not for the whole state). Charlottesville has so much to offer seniors, and it's not that pricey. I like most of the Blue Ridge towns including the college towns. I still have Abingdon VA (home of the famous Barter Theater) on a fantasy list that still includes Maine and NC.

 
Old 01-12-2012, 03:39 PM
 
2,627 posts, read 4,957,348 times
Reputation: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Not at all true. (Maybe for northern VA, but not for the whole state). Charlottesville has so much to offer seniors, and it's not that pricey. I like most of the Blue Ridge towns including the college towns. I still have Abingdon VA (home of the famous Barter Theater) on a fantasy list that still includes Maine and NC.
NEG, have you looked into Tennessee as a possible place to retire?
 
Old 01-14-2012, 12:21 PM
 
Location: zippidy doo dah
895 posts, read 1,333,110 times
Reputation: 1928
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I live in SD and I don't know anywhere you could get a home for $160k, even inland...not even a condo really. Maybe way out in East County. Most homes anywhere in SD County are at least in the $300's. I wouldn't recommend SD for older people because of the cost of living, state taxes your pensions, everything is taxed here, and just driving around is difficult the older one gets. Every older person in my complex (I'm talking people in their 70-80's really never leave, just maybe to go to a nearby store (which definitely are plentiful) but again it's heavy traffic wherever you go. Unless you live in a very exclusive area, I find it to be a quite noisy place to live...lots of street noise. Whenever I go on vacation I always notice how quiet it is compared to SD. Can't argue that it has the best weather in the United States....although not as warm year-round as alot of people think. Most people retiring are fleeing California in droves.

LOL - I thought "SD" stood for South Dakota...........and was totally perplexed that you can't find a house for under 300K there....i kept repeating "South dakota??????" Was about to pass this info on to my couch compatriot here when I realized SD is San Diego......now it makes sense......

I think New England Girl was surfing the same brain wave that I'm on.....us east coasters just don't know you californians acronyms..........
y'all bundle up there in SD....might drop down in the lower 60's tonight...
 
Old 01-14-2012, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,994,426 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
NEG, have you looked into Tennessee as a possible place to retire?
Yes, but only online. The closest I've been in person to Tenn. is Abingdon, VA, which I liked very much. I wonder about the summer heat/humidity factor in Tenn. As much as I kvetch about Northeast winters, the truth is that I handle the cold air easier than I manage suffocating heat/humidity (actually I can't handle this at all). With this knowledge I doubt I'm a good candidate for the South at all, though I'm drawn there for some strange reason beyond weather.
 
Old 01-14-2012, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Olympia, WA
363 posts, read 427,126 times
Reputation: 704
Default Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Yes, but only online. The closest I've been in person to Tenn. is Abingdon, VA, which I liked very much. I wonder about the summer heat/humidity factor in Tenn. As much as I kvetch about Northeast winters, the truth is that I handle the cold air easier than I manage suffocating heat/humidity (actually I can't handle this at all). With this knowledge I doubt I'm a good candidate for the South at all, though I'm drawn there for some strange reason beyond weather.
NEG, I wish you could make a trip to middle or eastern Tennessee. It is truly a beautiful place. Yes, I have complained a lot about the heat/humidity in summer, and that will never change. The rest of the seasons are wonderful though. Thursday we had our first snow, just a dusting, gone the next day. The food is wonderful, the people friendly and the slow pace of living is like nothing I have ever seen. I am originally from So. Cal. and have lived in Colorado, Washington, and Arizona. There is nothing like the South.

Eastern TN is something I hope to explore more someday. We have been to the Smoky Mountains and it is glorious. I am very interested in the history of the Appalachians and have been fortunate to see several documentaries about it....fascinating. I would like to go up into NE TN as I have heard it is beautiful and a little more mountainous, and full of history.

I am really thinking hard about staying put in the event I can truly retire. I feel more "at home" and content here more than in any other place we have lived.
 
Old 01-14-2012, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,994,426 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl205 View Post
NEG, I wish you could make a trip to middle or eastern Tennessee. It is truly a beautiful place. Yes, I have complained a lot about the heat/humidity in summer, and that will never change. The rest of the seasons are wonderful though. Thursday we had our first snow, just a dusting, gone the next day. The food is wonderful, the people friendly and the slow pace of living is like nothing I have ever seen. I am originally from So. Cal. and have lived in Colorado, Washington, and Arizona. There is nothing like the South.

Eastern TN is something I hope to explore more someday. We have been to the Smoky Mountains and it is glorious. I am very interested in the history of the Appalachians and have been fortunate to see several documentaries about it....fascinating. I would like to go up into NE TN as I have heard it is beautiful and a little more mountainous, and full of history.

I am really thinking hard about staying put in the event I can truly retire. I feel more "at home" and content here more than in any other place we have lived.
Interesting post. May I ask where in Tenn you are? Is it more rural or within a town? Are you in a mountainous area that might be cooler in summer? When you say good food, what kind? What about income taxes for seniors, and are there any property tax breaks?
 
Old 01-15-2012, 06:02 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
1,362 posts, read 3,808,291 times
Reputation: 793
NEG, as tngirl205 has said, TN is a beautiful place and very welcoming.

I have a friend from CA who moved here and feels it's humid because she's always lived in a dry climante. I'm originally from Long Island and also lived in CT for awhile. I do not feel the humidity that much down here at all. I think where you're coming from is an indication of how humid you would feel TN is.

TN does not have a state income tax (only pay some tax if your stock dividends, etc. are over $1,200 a year). The property taxes are very low. You can get all types of food down here. I don't think you'd be missing much.
 
Old 01-15-2012, 06:51 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,994,426 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
NEG, as tngirl205 has said, TN is a beautiful place and very welcoming.

I have a friend from CA who moved here and feels it's humid because she's always lived in a dry climante. I'm originally from Long Island and also lived in CT for awhile. I do not feel the humidity that much down here at all. I think where you're coming from is an indication of how humid you would feel TN is.

TN does not have a state income tax (only pay some tax if your stock dividends, etc. are over $1,200 a year). The property taxes are very low. You can get all types of food down here. I don't think you'd be missing much.
Coming from Long Island and Conn., what are some of the more outstanding things you've gained by living in Tenn.? Are you also in the middle of the state?

Right now at almost 9 a.m. "it's 6 degrees, feels like minus 6" according to weather.com. No snow since the big Halloween fiasco. What's it like there right now? Any ice yet?
 
Old 01-15-2012, 06:54 AM
 
2,627 posts, read 4,957,348 times
Reputation: 2225
I am going to investigate Cookeville, TN. Hope to make a roadtrip to that area and the Smoky Mountains this April.
 
Old 01-15-2012, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,994,426 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I am going to investigate Cookeville, TN. Hope to make a roadtrip to that area and the Smoky Mountains this April.
haha, maybe we'll meet up there, as an April trip to Tenn is in my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top