U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 01:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIrishly View Post
...How cool! I've been interested in spinning for quite a while, but never had the right fencing for sheep.
I found this recent article about the mill, nice slide show Alternative Lifestyle | HandEye

How far is the nearest international airport from Rociada NM? Denver is probably the best served ~ 6 hrs...proabably still need to take most international flights from Chicago or SF, LAX... or get a cheap fare SWA fare out of ABQ ~ 3.5 hrs... ELP (~6hrs) is a really nice small airport, but, not too many international flights

That's a great rate from PDX to SAC! I'm going to have to check out SWA's specials and go on some adventures like that. Last *real* vacation I had was my backpacking trip to Ireland back in '04.
Sounds great in '04. My, how things have changed since '04 (I still had a job w/ 6 wks vacation / yr...) AND HEALTHCARE (whatever that is...I forgot).

A friend did Wales to Scotland via horse, she had a blast. (I would be sore... been about 40 yrs since I was in the saddle). (Grew up on a nice ranch in Colorado and spent summers on a nice farm in NE).

I had several *real* vacations last yr, but none yet in 2012 (was to fly out in 6 hrs to TX... but it is RAINING there, I can stay home and have sun! (4 days predicted, that will only leave ~76 sunny days left in 2012, I hate to miss them))

I travel cheaper than staying home. ($35/day in property taxes alone)

$10/day for lodging (private guest homes, safe and fun)
$3/day for food (grocery / farm stands)
+ transportation... not much if in my car... 50 mpg on free fryer grease... 35 yr old car that cost $35 bucks.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:18 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,135,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
single, retired lady...I'm also interested in Virginia so it was good to hear that you adjusted well and not regretted moving from California!

What were the biggest challenges you had to overcome in your move and what was easier than you thought it would be ?
By far the biggest challenge was purging and packing up so much of my stuff. I'd made an offer on this house and had just over 90 days to close escrow on Jan 30th. It was late Oct so I knew I had to get the CA house on the market before the Christmas lull when almost no one is house hunting. Turned a sows ear into a silk purse in 6 very intense weeks, with a great deal of the work being done by good contractors that my real estate agent recommended and had an open house on Dec 2nd, with 5 offers over asking in two days. (The RE market was still in bubble mode).

I rented several storage units so the old place could be as empty as possible since it was getting a complete paint job inside and out, the 80 year old hardwood floors refinished, new flooring in kitchen, bath and laundry room. I kinda lived in my garage for a couple of days while the hardwoods were being done and a kindly neighbor gave me her house key so that I had access to a bathroom when needed.

Purging books was tough, got rid of several thousand, some sold but most donated to the library.

One of the easiest parts was the actual journey across the country. Since neither my 12 year old Suburban nor my 20 year old Volvo was suitable to take with me I got rid of both of them. A friend had suggested that I look in to renting an RV since I had 4 big dogs and a cat going with me. I was lucky enough to rent two units from Cruise America. The first I took from Oakland to Mesa, AZ to their headquarters for refurbishing and it was just $29.00 a day and no mileage fee. Once there I picked up another unit that had been refurbished and needed to be taken to Manassas, VA. It was only $49.00 per day and again, no mileage fee, just gas. I admit that I really lucked out on this part.

The friend who lived in NC and had suggested that I look in this area lent me her Explorer to use until I found a vehicle to purchase here. I had it for a month.

Although I'd grown up on LI and attended college in upstate NY my 30+ years of life in the SF Bay Area meant that it had been a very long time since I'd dealt with winter weather. Since I am retired I at least do not have to get out there and shovel snow and drive in really bad weather to go to work each day.

One of the few regrets that I have is that I did not take the time to paint the huge master bedroom and walk in closet before moving in to that space. They are a dreary dark gray/blue. Just emptying the big closet (10' 6" x 7') of all the clothes, shelving, rolling laundry cart, etc and finding room to put it all is now a big project that I continue to put off. It's hard to remember just how physically and emotionally drained I was at the end of the long process from making the offer on this house to the day when about 90% of my stuff was unpacked and I was living in a functional space again.

Many of my liberal/progressive/gay friends in CA were very concerned that I might be making a big mistake moving to The South, the bible belt and that I'd be miserable here. Well, Floyd is a bit of an anomaly that way, it's got a great mix of people with all kinds of views and lifestyles and I think I am much happier here than I would have been up the the foothills of the Sierras in Mariposa county.

I'll never be best friends with the guy down the road who flys a huge confederate flag but if I were driving by and his cattle had gotten out on the road I would, like everyone else, stop and help to round them up. And on a winter night if my car slid off the road and into a snowbank in front of his place he'd invite me in to use the phone and offer me a cup of coffee or a beer while I waited for the tow truck.

Now if someone would just open a Chinese restaurant here life would be close to perfect.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
The friend who lived in NC and had suggested that I look in this area lent me her Explorer to use until I found a vehicle to purchase here. I had it for a month.
Zugor, you are in one remote area of the state! Wow, coming from the SF Bay area, how did you make that transition--and what drew you? Are you in town or out in the country?

What are the amenities where you are now that you didn't have in SF? Besides the culture shock from West Coast to East, and from city to rural, how did you get so well adjusted? Do you plan to grow old there?

(sorry for all the questions - I had explored Roanoke/Radford/Salem at length and am now curious about the Abingdon area, so your story is of interest)

Old 02-04-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Zugor, you are in one remote area of the state! Wow, coming from the SF Bay area, how did you make that transition--and what drew you? Are you in town or out in the country?

What are the amenities where you are now that you didn't have in SF? Besides the culture shock from West Coast to East, and from city to rural, how did you get so well adjusted? Do you plan to grow old there?

(sorry for all the questions - I had explored Roanoke/Radford/Salem at length and am now curious about the Abingdon area, so your story is of interest)
NEG I haven't been ignoring your request - life got rather busy these past couple of days with some unexpected stuff.

On my blog I've written a little bit about my Road To Floyd and life here.

I'd have to say that a blog called Fragments From Floyd, begun by Fred First in the summer of 2002 (and discovered by me in the summer of 2005) was extremely influential in my coming here to check the place out. He has since compiled two books from his essays and they are wonderful reading and I think you might enjoy them even if you had no particular interest in this specific area since they deal with many topics but finding a place where one feels a true sense of belonging - to the land, to the community and to oneself is a strong theme throughout his writing. Some very funny stories too. Lots of great photos at his blogsite to also enjoy.

Fragments From Floyd

I really need to get some laundry going - that doesn't stop in retirement and a good fire going too since it's overcast with rain in the picture later today. But I'll come back and write some more after I get a few chores done.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:45 AM

Default A bit more about Floyd

The amenities - fresh clean air, water from my own well, 28 acres with about 1,000 ft of creek so I don't have to load the dogs in the car and drive for 20 -30 minutes to take them swimming, great views of young calves in the spring gamboling about in the neighbors pasture or the horses fulling full out just for the fun of it.

There is a very strong music and art scene here and much of it can be enjoyed for free and Floyd is becoming a weekend tourist destination.

http://www.floydvirginia.com/visitor...d-attractions/

A natural food store with membership discounts - they carry local, organic fruits, veggies and meat.

Harvest Moon Food Store - Floyd VA organic and gourmet foods - cafe - art gallery

A CSA, a community garden in town, a farmers market that runs from May thru Oct. High speed internet & a decent library that is part of a regional system make interaction with the wider world easy.

Here's a link to an article in Mother Earth News:

Floyd, Virginia: Celebrating the Past, Preserving the Future - Nature and Community - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

From the traffic light (yes, there is only one) it's 22 miles to the interstate and the towns of Christiansburg and Blacksburg are just past that. They have the usual assortment of big box stores such as Lowes, Home Depot, Target, Barnes & Noble, Tractor Supply, Petsmart, Big Lots, Sears, but no higher end department stores. Some of those can be found in Roanoke I think.

In town we've got 2 grocery stores, 1 fast food joint (Hardee's) one Mexican restaurant, a couple of places with Italian food and several others. Blue Ridge Rest. provides down home cooking while Oddfellas Cantina and Natasha's Market Cafe offer vegan and organic items. I think we've got 3 banks now.

Local health care providers include several doctors, dentists, optometrists and vets to choose from but one must go to one of the larger communities for hospital care, mammogram, colonoscopy, etc. The fire department may have some paid staff but as far as I know the rescue squad is all volunteer. If it's serious people get taken on medevac helicopters to Roanoke.

Traffic jams: Livestock on the road are the most common cause, roadwork on the two main roads means that sometimes those two lane roads become one lane, farmers on tractors going from one field to another (I happen to enjoy the slow drive behind them for the short distances they are traveling). On Friday nights, especially in nicer weather, there is lots of traffic near the light as folks come to to town for the Jamboree at the Country Store.

The town of Floyd provides water and garbage service but out in the rest of the county it's wells and springs and haul your own garbage to the green dumpsters in various locations or big stuff to the dump. At some locations there are also recycling boxes but what they handle is limited to newspaper, cardboard, aluminum, clear glass and just # 1 & 2 plastics.

Only about half the roads of the county are paved, but many are good gravel and fine in ordinary 2 wheel drive vehicles in all but the worst weather. Pick-up trucks, SUV's and all wheel drive Subaru's are common.

Me, well adjusted? Oh, you mean to the country life . I think I'm a country gal at heart, it just took not being tied to a paycheck before I could get here.

I do hope to stay in this house, 10 miles from town, until the end and be buried up on the hill across the creek where several of my dogs are already. This house could accommodate live in help with a big bedroom, full bath and large sitting/family room upstairs. I spend 99% of my time on the main floor.

I can't speak to how this area compares with Abingdon since I don't know that area. If you should decide to come for a visit definitely send me a DM.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:25 AM

363 posts, read 426,541 times
Default Floyd, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
The amenities - fresh clean air, water from my own well, 28 acres with about 1,000 ft of creek so I don't have to load the dogs in the car and drive for 20 -30 minutes to take them swimming, great views of young calves in the spring gamboling about in the neighbors pasture or the horses fulling full out just for the fun of it.

There is a very strong music and art scene here and much of it can be enjoyed for free and Floyd is becoming a weekend tourist destination.

http://www.floydvirginia.com/visitor...d-attractions/

A natural food store with membership discounts - they carry local, organic fruits, veggies and meat.

Harvest Moon Food Store - Floyd VA organic and gourmet foods - cafe - art gallery

A CSA, a community garden in town, a farmers market that runs from May thru Oct. High speed internet & a decent library that is part of a regional system make interaction with the wider world easy.

Here's a link to an article in Mother Earth News:

Floyd, Virginia: Celebrating the Past, Preserving the Future - Nature and Community - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

From the traffic light (yes, there is only one) it's 22 miles to the interstate and the towns of Christiansburg and Blacksburg are just past that. They have the usual assortment of big box stores such as Lowes, Home Depot, Target, Barnes & Noble, Tractor Supply, Petsmart, Big Lots, Sears, but no higher end department stores. Some of those can be found in Roanoke I think.

In town we've got 2 grocery stores, 1 fast food joint (Hardee's) one Mexican restaurant, a couple of places with Italian food and several others. Blue Ridge Rest. provides down home cooking while Oddfellas Cantina and Natasha's Market Cafe offer vegan and organic items. I think we've got 3 banks now.

Local health care providers include several doctors, dentists, optometrists and vets to choose from but one must go to one of the larger communities for hospital care, mammogram, colonoscopy, etc. The fire department may have some paid staff but as far as I know the rescue squad is all volunteer. If it's serious people get taken on medevac helicopters to Roanoke.

Traffic jams: Livestock on the road are the most common cause, roadwork on the two main roads means that sometimes those two lane roads become one lane, farmers on tractors going from one field to another (I happen to enjoy the slow drive behind them for the short distances they are traveling). On Friday nights, especially in nicer weather, there is lots of traffic near the light as folks come to to town for the Jamboree at the Country Store.

The town of Floyd provides water and garbage service but out in the rest of the county it's wells and springs and haul your own garbage to the green dumpsters in various locations or big stuff to the dump. At some locations there are also recycling boxes but what they handle is limited to newspaper, cardboard, aluminum, clear glass and just # 1 & 2 plastics.

Only about half the roads of the county are paved, but many are good gravel and fine in ordinary 2 wheel drive vehicles in all but the worst weather. Pick-up trucks, SUV's and all wheel drive Subaru's are common.

Me, well adjusted? Oh, you mean to the country life . I think I'm a country gal at heart, it just took not being tied to a paycheck before I could get here.

I do hope to stay in this house, 10 miles from town, until the end and be buried up on the hill across the creek where several of my dogs are already. This house could accommodate live in help with a big bedroom, full bath and large sitting/family room upstairs. I spend 99% of my time on the main floor.

I can't speak to how this area compares with Abingdon since I don't know that area. If you should decide to come for a visit definitely send me a DM.
WOW, Zugor, what a great post! Sounds like my kind of place. I'm going to look into it myself. I am a country girl too, always have been, that grew up in a city (southern california)

Old 02-05-2012, 11:01 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl205 View Post
WOW, Zugor, what a great post! Sounds like my kind of place. I'm going to look into it myself. I am a country girl too, always have been, that grew up in a city (southern california)
Sounds like we may a spring/summer meetup in the making!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:44 AM

16 posts, read 34,363 times
Default Best deal on sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
As some of you know from following my posts, I am planning on retiring alone, but in a different area from where I am now (California) due to the costs.

I am curious if there are other single/divorced/widowed women out there considering relocating to another area by themselves, and if so to where, and why that location?

I am very torn about where to go. I love the sunshine and dry weather -- factors in my choices. I also want a social network, and am an eastcoaster, originally, and am wondering if I should reconsider the eastcoast because it seems more social. It will also just be my retirement income (it's just me!), and so lower costs, rather than higher, are important.

I'm not really old enough for the senior centers, as I've noticed they seem to be more filled with the 70 and over crowd. Therefore, since I am still lively and young at heart, I am looking for a place where older singles still mingle. I am searching out places that may work for a single retired woman. (I am 59 right now, but plan to try to stick it out here a few more years, if possible.)

I have diverse interests, moderate politics (Independent), and write, play a little piano for myself, draw, and teach art. I'm a social worker by trade, but would like to be involved in more activities and volunteering that would be "fun" oriented. I love hiking -- that is one of my favorite pursuits. I also adore cooking. I have a dog and three cats. I am also not religious, although I guess the term "Spiritual" would apply. My daughter will be in college, but also studying abroad, so she and I will not be in the same city.

I'd love to hear what others think about this situation. Thanks!
Wisteria
I may be about 4-5 years late on this, but here are a couple blog posts on finding the lowest priced sunny places to live:

Top 25 Sunniest US Cities Ranked by Housing Cost justinholman
The Price of a Sunny Day: top 5 bargain locations if you want to live in the sun justinholman

Old 02-11-2012, 07:52 PM

1,924 posts, read 4,609,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
It will be another 2 years...where to, I just don't know. The more I research, the more I wonder if there are any great places left for older people with modest to middle incomes...without having to sweat or freeze for 6 months out of the year. One of my dilemas is...do I live in a place that is more expensive with more ammenities but become "rent poor", or live in a less expensive area that might be more boring but I will have more money to spend, travel a little, etc. I'll just keep coming back to CD for insight!
That's a dilemma a lot of us face: boring and affordable vs more expensive and fun, but higher rent. I have a modest retirement planned and am also looking to move from SE MI for the same reasons, too expensive. Once issue that is emerging in my research is the cost of medicare supplemental plans, which can vary greatly from one state to another and one zip code to another within a state, for the exact same plan (Medigap F or C or whatever). It's a tedious process to compare these costs, but unfortunately health care costs will continue to escalate for all of us regardless of our health status.

So, in addition to climate and rent and other cost of living issues (taxes, tax breaks for seniors, etc) the cost of medicare supplemental health insurance has to be part of the equation. Also, how portable is the insurance (advantage plans are not portable, gap plans are). However, I'm not sure what happens on a particular gap plan when you to another state. I don't want to be trapped in a place after age 65 because of my health insurance plan. That's the only thing keeping me in MI now, my health insurance and it's not fun to live like this as a hostage to the insurance companies. I'd never qualify for underwritten private insurance if I moved now at age 63. Believe me, I've talked to plenty of companies in other states that underwrite health insurance and they don't insure too many 63 year olds, even relatively healthy ones. And if they did, the premiums would be so high, it would be unaffordable. So, I'm trapped for another year or so in MI, until I'm closer to age 65.

Another issue is the fast changing landscape in state politics. Kansas, for example elected a Republican (Libertarian) governor funded by the Koch boys in Wichita, and is fast changing tax laws in that state that directly affect seniors with more proposals in the works. Here in Michigan, this state also elected a Republican and he has changed the tax structure starting in 2012 eliminating most seniors tax credits, increasing taxes on seniors by cutting retirement exemptions, and giving tax breaks to corporations. So, we all need to be aware of potential changes to state laws in the next few years as we look for a place to retire. I'm not stating these things for political reasons, but retirees need to know what they are getting into if they move.

Last edited by xz2y; 02-11-2012 at 08:06 PM..

Old 02-11-2012, 10:55 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,392,568 times
[quote=xz2y;22944738Another issue is the fast changing landscape in state politics. Kansas, for example elected a Republican (Libertarian) governor funded by the Koch boys in Wichita, and is fast changing tax laws in that state that directly affect seniors with more proposals in the works. Here in Michigan, this state also elected a Republican and he has changed the tax structure starting in 2012 eliminating most seniors tax credits, increasing taxes on seniors by cutting retirement exemptions, and giving tax breaks to corporations. So, we all need to be aware of potential changes to state laws in the next few years as we look for a place to retire. I'm not stating these things for political reasons, but retirees need to know what they are getting into if they move.[/quote]

Good points - I guess I know how I'll be voting. My current health ins. from my company is portable within the 14 states of US West (Qwest), so CO is perfect for me. I really think all you ladies should join me there - you'd love it!!! Remember my dream I told you about - where we kidnapped Livecontent (kicking & screaming all the way) - wellllllll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement