U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 10:01 PM

1,985 posts, read 4,638,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwinds View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention, I'm on the northern tip of the Olympic Peninsula in WA state.
Thanks for posting the details. Your situation sounds really nice. I'm single and would definitely need to have safety as a high priority in a retirement location. I also would like to find a place where it's easy to meet other seniors or active adults. I'm not interested in "retirement communities" but would like to find a place where I would not be isolated, so rural living might not be suitable. I'm more of a city gal anyway, and having contact with people on a daily basis is important.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:02 AM

67 posts, read 111,336 times
What about small resort town in new England? Berkshires, catskill, finger lakes, or airondack. Is it afforable and what is property tax like

Old 04-22-2012, 04:34 PM

13,354 posts, read 25,630,065 times
I doubt any resort towns anywhere are affordable, certainly not more so than any other place.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,990 times
Hi live out side of the country in Costa Rica, at seventy two and live by my self
i feel very safe, and i could get by on a $1000 month
$50,000 will buy you a small house. fresh food and weather you would die for
i keep my windows open year round no heating or cooling
i lived in Phoenix AZ before.
life is good O C

Old 04-29-2012, 12:34 PM

277 posts, read 299,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGGGGGGG View Post
Hi live out side of the country in Costa Rica, at seventy two and live by my self
i feel very safe, and i could get by on a $1000 month
$50,000 will buy you a small house. fresh food and weather you would die for
i keep my windows open year round no heating or cooling
i lived in Phoenix AZ before.
life is good O C
Fascinating! I would love to retire part-time to a foreign locale, but as a single, I thought it would be very difficult to develop a social circle. Did you go to CR alone, or become solo after your move? Are there mostly couples, or have you encountered other single women? I hear that single men down there don't stay that way long . When you say you feel safe, do you mean personally, or does that include confidence that your property is safe? Would you feel comfortable leaving your residence for an extended period (say 4-8 weeks)? Do you feel integrated into the community, and are friends mostly other ex-pats or Ticas?

It's been close to 15 years since my trip to CR. I loved it. The people are warm and friendly (do they still hitchhike everywhere?) and I can understand their Spanish and actually communicate, lol. The downside was the property crime, with literal cages around houses, or at least barred windows in the residential areas. What areas of CR would you recommend for solo voyagers? Think you'll stay forever? Would you return to the States if you developed a debilitating chronic illness? I know a man raised in my community who went to CR, opened a business, married. He and his wife returned here, she hated it and has, for all intents and purposes, remained on indefinite vacation back in CR. Anyway, don't mean to be too nosy, but would love to hear more about your retirement abroad.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:53 AM

4,577 posts, read 7,079,434 times
Going back to the original topic here...I just feel so discouraged the last few weeks about finding a new location to live. I've been researching for quite a long time now but feel like I'm back to square one (wherever that is). I was pretty much selling myself on North Carolina but the more I read, the more I really don't think I could handle that kind of heat/humidity for such a long spell (like at least 6 months). I was going to plan a trip there in July/Aug to see how bad it really is, but I can't even get excited about it, which is telling me something I guess. I think that heat/humidity would be harder on an older person, but seems like alot of people are still moving there. I just don't want to move to be stuck in the house all day in A/C. I'm not looking for perfection but alot of places are geared more toward retired couples, being around family, etc.

Anybody else get frustrated in their search...I know I'll pull out of this because time is flying by and can't afford to not keep at it.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:38 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,090,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Going back to the original topic here...I just feel so discouraged the last few weeks about finding a new location to live. I've been researching for quite a long time now but feel like I'm back to square one (wherever that is). I was pretty much selling myself on North Carolina but the more I read, the more I really don't think I could handle that kind of heat/humidity for such a long spell (like at least 6 months). I was going to plan a trip there in July/Aug to see how bad it really is, but I can't even get excited about it, which is telling me something I guess. I think that heat/humidity would be harder on an older person, but seems like alot of people are still moving there. I just don't want to move to be stuck in the house all day in A/C. I'm not looking for perfection but alot of places are geared more toward retired couples, being around family, etc.

Anybody else get frustrated in their search...I know I'll pull out of this because time is flying by and can't afford to not keep at it.
It sounds like you've made progress -- you know you don't want heat/humidity. List the places that don't have that and start there. I don't like being stuck inside in winter or summer and where I am is pretty close to perfect for that-Santa Fe, NM. We think hot is 90 and no humidity. This winter I hiked at the lower elevations and snowshoed in the mountains. In the summer I hike at higher elevations in tree cover for protection from the intense sun at this elevation.

It is stressful considering a move--makes me stressed out to even think about moving again! When a friend starts talking about moving back to the PNW I just listen and tell her to visit first. She lived there years ago and says the rain never bothered her but as we age I'm not so sure she would feel the same. I went back to Olympia, WA two years ago in June and couldn't get warm--rain and drizzle. If I wanted to move I would consider Port Townsend, WA since it is in the rain shadow.

Don't get discouraged--you're figuring out what is important to you by going through the process. Let us know how your search goes.
Karen

Old 05-01-2012, 01:15 PM

2,629 posts, read 4,965,990 times
I just returned from a 10 day road trip up to North Carolina and Tennessee to visit the Smoky Mountain National Park. I took a leisurely drive up Georgia on 441....a lovely ride through some beautiful, old towns filled with interesting old houses. People were so friendly everywhere I visited. I complain a lot about the high heat and humidity in south Florida - where I currently live, but I don't think it is totally the climate I don't care for. I've lived down here for nearly 40 years! Just for my good job! I grew up in the midwest and miss the values and friendliness of the people. This part of Florida is just too glamorous and artificial for me. I would like to find an area with 4 seasons, but not super hot summers. How would I feel if I lived in a mountainous area in the winter with icy roads?? EEEKKK! Not sure. I would love to find a more arid climate......humidity just drains my energy. My 'good' job doe not pay well but I enjoy the power to chose and freedom that my position affords me.

I would love to live near a national or state park to enjoy nature on a regular basis. During my trip I attempted to drive from Pigeon Forge, TN to Cookeville, TN. Well....it did not happen! I headed to Cookeville and encountered the heavy traffic of I-40...... Wherever I end up living...I don't want to deal with heavy traffic. I ended up turning around and driving back to Pigeon Forge.

I read the posts on this thread religiously and benefit from many wise women & men who are on the same search. Good luck to all and....don't keep your location a secret if you have found a great spot!

Old 05-01-2012, 05:50 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,716,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
It sounds like you've made progress -- you know you don't want heat/humidity. List the places that don't have that and start there. I don't like being stuck inside in winter or summer and where I am is pretty close to perfect for that-Santa Fe, NM. We think hot is 90 and no humidity. This winter I hiked at the lower elevations and snowshoed in the mountains. In the summer I hike at higher elevations in tree cover for protection from the intense sun at this elevation.

It is stressful considering a move--makes me stressed out to even think about moving again! When a friend starts talking about moving back to the PNW I just listen and tell her to visit first. She lived there years ago and says the rain never bothered her but as we age I'm not so sure she would feel the same. I went back to Olympia, WA two years ago in June and couldn't get warm--rain and drizzle. If I wanted to move I would consider Port Townsend, WA since it is in the rain shadow.

Don't get discouraged--you're figuring out what is important to you by going through the process. Let us know how your search goes.
Karen
There was a time I seriously considered moving to Santa Fe. I even visited twice to check everything out. I loved the weather, the culture, the history...just everything. Except that it was way to expensive for me. Home prices and rents were out of my league. Otherwise it would've been perfect and it's a lovely place.

I lived on the Oregon coast for 11 years and I don't remember it being 'that bad' but I was very young. I didn't mind the fog and rain and the days that were beautiful were VERY beautiful. (Well, there WERE those days it would take three days to dry diapers on the clothesline but...lol) However, I couldn't live there again. My body would protest! Arthritis is not forgiving in damp climates which is just one more reason Arizona is perfect for me...besides being my home from day one anyway.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:05 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,411,410 times
Default Nice to see the ladies~~~

stopping in

Loveautumn - Keep your chin up - but don't give up. You're in a beautiful spot now - can't rememeber why you're leaving - possibly the COL? Something will feel right. It is so much easier if you have someone to plan with.

I have to keep remonding myself: I really need a change just to keep the momentum up. I'm dealing with several different workmen and this reminds me of life as a project manager when I worked I have to turn around now and then and take deep breaths so I don't go ballistic on them. I has had to return twice to do what he should have done the first time (this too shall pass).

Times, they are a changin~~~~

Dancin - Nice to see you. Will Santa Fe be your last stop?

Poppy went on a trip - sounds relaxing acually. Are you looking at TN now?

Az DesBRAT - Sounds like you have found your spot. My folks went to Mesa, AZ for many years - snowbirds - and loved it there. I use to travel to Phoenix at least once a year for my job. Coming from MN and since all trips were in the winter it was always a welcomed trip

I'm still looking at CO but there are times I think about other areas also - like NC/SC. With CO I won't feel totally alone as I would in NC or SC - can be scarey.

Can't wait to be rid of this house and just be a bum for a while. I would like to just travel about - sleep in my car one night, book a motel the next - a real bum. I wonder how long I could do that - I think I need to know there's a "home" waiting for me somewhere.

OGGGGGGG - I'm in awe of someone that can pack up and move to a place like Costa Rica - sounds wonderful. I'm afraid I would need someone to go with me.

mastequila - Welcome to our thread - it use to be much busier than it is now. Maybe we should schedule a reunion and everyone would then check in on a certain day with an update.

Gotta go - I have some strawberries waiting for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement