U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 08:28 PM

8,625 posts, read 9,698,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
stopping in

Loveautumn - Keep your chin up - but don't give up. You're in a beautiful spot now - can't rememeber why you're leaving - possibly the COL? Something will feel right. It is so much easier if you have someone to plan with.

I have to keep remonding myself: I really need a change just to keep the momentum up. I'm dealing with several different workmen and this reminds me of life as a project manager when I worked I have to turn around now and then and take deep breaths so I don't go ballistic on them. I has had to return twice to do what he should have done the first time (this too shall pass).

Times, they are a changin~~~~

Dancin - Nice to see you. Will Santa Fe be your last stop?

Poppy went on a trip - sounds relaxing acually. Are you looking at TN now?

Az DesBRAT - Sounds like you have found your spot. My folks went to Mesa, AZ for many years - snowbirds - and loved it there. I use to travel to Phoenix at least once a year for my job. Coming from MN and since all trips were in the winter it was always a welcomed trip

I'm still looking at CO but there are times I think about other areas also - like NC/SC. With CO I won't feel totally alone as I would in NC or SC - can be scarey.

Can't wait to be rid of this house and just be a bum for a while. I would like to just travel about - sleep in my car one night, book a motel the next - a real bum. I wonder how long I could do that - I think I need to know there's a "home" waiting for me somewhere.

OGGGGGGG - I'm in awe of someone that can pack up and move to a place like Costa Rica - sounds wonderful. I'm afraid I would need someone to go with me.

mastequila - Welcome to our thread - it use to be much busier than it is now. Maybe we should schedule a reunion and everyone would then check in on a certain day with an update.

Gotta go - I have some strawberries waiting for me
I decided, a long time ago, that if my entire family lived in Timbuctoo...or however you spell it!...I'd be happy living there. This just happens to be the place I've lived off and on my whole life because they are here. I do like it here though and am happy living here. I couldn't live in the Phoenix area, even though I was born there. It's just waaaaay too big, too much traffic, too many people, etc. etc.. I was down there today and it reminded me how glad I am that I don't live there. Besides it doesn't get as hot here as it does there. lol Okay, ten degrees isn't that much and hot is hot but still.... When I was driving back home this afternoon I couldn't help but notice how much cooler it got the further north I drove. Nice!!

Old 05-01-2012, 10:13 PM

277 posts, read 298,672 times
Quote:
stopping in

Loveautumn - Keep your chin up - but don't give up. You're in a beautiful spot now - can't rememeber why you're leaving - possibly the COL? Something will feel right. It is so much easier if you have someone to plan with.

I have to keep remonding myself: I really need a change just to keep the momentum up. I'm dealing with several different workmen and this reminds me of life as a project manager when I worked I have to turn around now and then and take deep breaths so I don't go ballistic on them. I has had to return twice to do what he should have done the first time (this too shall pass).

Times, they are a changin~~~~

Poppy went on a trip - sounds relaxing acually. Are you looking at TN now?

Az DesBRAT - Sounds like you have found your spot. My folks went to Mesa, AZ for many years - snowbirds - and loved it there. I use to travel to Phoenix at least once a year for my job. Coming from MN and since all trips were in the winter it was always a welcomed trip

I'm still looking at CO but there are times I think about other areas also - like NC/SC. With CO I won't feel totally alone as I would in NC or SC - can be scarey.

Can't wait to be rid of this house and just be a bum for a while. I would like to just travel about - sleep in my car one night, book a motel the next - a real bum. I wonder how long I could do that - I think I need to know there's a "home" waiting for me somewhere.

OGGGGGGG - I'm in awe of someone that can pack up and move to a place like Costa Rica - sounds wonderful. I'm afraid I would need someone to go with me.

mastequila - Welcome to our thread - it use to be much busier than it is now. Maybe we should schedule a reunion and everyone would then check in on a certain day with an update.

Umbria, thank you for the welcome. Many months ago I found city-data when a search landed me on this thread. Over time I read the whole thing and often check in just to see if there's any news. A month or so ago I got to wondering what had happened to some of the early posters and searched for the summary that had been posted--it was sometime around Thanksgiving if anyone else is curious. I think your idea of a reunion every now and then is great.
What really impressed me is the acceptance and helpfulness demonstrated here. Sometimes I'd read a post and just wince waiting for everyone to tell the poster to put on her big girl panties and deal, but that never happened. Now, I can't say the same for the other threads on this forum, but the support here is nothing short of astonishing. Hope the strawberries were sweet and tasty.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:31 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,087,395 times
Quote:

yummmmm...strawberries sound good. I'm not sure if Santa Fe will be my last stop. I'll stay as long as I can keep my house. When I get discouraged about my job or life, I research Eugene, OR but then I remember the pain of moving and how long it takes for a new place to feel like home and I make more effort to like where I am. Santa Fe has a lot going for it and the more I work on my garden, the less I want to start over.

I have a friend that wants to move back to the PNW and she's the only person I'd want to share a house with. We talk about it but neither one of us can retire and we both have houses underwater here so I don't see it happening. I'm not sure I can handle the rain again although I would enjoy being near the ocean and I hear the bike trails are awesome. I'd definitely have to have a pottery studio to work in when it's raining. Maybe then. She's visiting her Mom in Corvallis in September and thinks she won't want to come back. She has lots of potter friends there. I'm curious to see if she really does feel like that or if she remembers it as better than it is. When I'm so old no one will let me work anymore I'm hoping my youngest has settled down in a place I'd want to live. I'd like to live near one of my kids but not in the East.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:26 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,068,792 times
I just did a little research on Corvallis...it has grown by leaps and bounds the last few years, especially due to the university. And prices have gone up, especially rents (very high and very difficult to find housing), again mostly due to the university experiencing such growth. But it looks like a beautiful area...

Old 05-03-2012, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,405 times
I have recently made the move from New Orleans to Worcester MA about 1 year ago. The humidity and weather was to much for me. I am a fan of the outdoors and wanted a peaceful atmosphere. I also wanted to experience the 4 seasons in a setting where I could still move around and not have to worry about snow removal. I do not regret my decision one bit! I moved in to a continuing care retirement community in Worcester called Briarwood. The people there are so friendly and I have made a lot of friends. I would highly suggest it! Good luck! I have attached their website incase you are interested - http://www.briarwoodretirement.com

Old 05-03-2012, 05:19 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,997,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthahenderson231 View Post
I have recently made the move from New Orleans to Worcester MA about 1 year ago. The humidity and weather was to much for me. I am a fan of the outdoors and wanted a peaceful atmosphere. I also wanted to experience the 4 seasons in a setting where I could still move around and not have to worry about snow removal. I do not regret my decision one bit! I moved in to a continuing care retirement community in Worcester called Briarwood. The people there are so friendly and I have made a lot of friends. I would highly suggest it! Good luck! I have attached their website incase you are interested - Retirement Community Worcester Central Mass | Briarwood Retirement
Oh you are nearly my neighbor, welcome to Massachusetts. Your place looks lovely online, though a little pricey for some. But it's well situated and you have so much around there to do. Check out the opera event. It must be quite an adjustment coming from New Orleans to the winters of the North, but we promise beautiful seasons in New England.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:16 PM

3 posts, read 4,585 times
Default Tucson Area Looks Promising

I just rented for a month in Oro Valley, basically a suburb just north of Tucson. I was in a 55+ community, with plenty of people my age, that is mid-sixties. It seemed pretty easy to meet people and I was quickly invited to a block party, a birding field trip, etc. I have been worried about giving up everyone I know to start over, but I think it will be less painful here.
There was also alot of white hair and even older folks. It is quite active with many clubs from outdoor interests to indoor arts and crafts. Also, many brain food clubs from language, lectures, genealogy. You can veg or you can overload your calendar. There are many very nice housing options in the area between $100,000 and $250,000. Also many higher. I first thought how brown everything looked, after humid Florida but the dry weather and clear sunny days were most pleasant. The desert landscape and plantings grow on you after an adjustment period. Tucson is ringed with mountains and gorgeous vistas everywhere. I currently live in a charming walkable neighborhood that will be hard to leave, but I really dislike the sticky, buggy climate after 15 years. I have decided to concentrate on the Oro Valley (just north) or Green Valley (just south) areas. Both have very quick access to the airport, shopping and medical care. They are both at about 3500 feet elevation and cool off markedly as sun goes down. Summer, mid-day on the desert floor will be HOT, but not sticky. I'm glad I stayed a month to try it out because a quick visit would not have been as informative. Tucson itself is a very small city with the U.of A. providing some interesting events. I think a sophisticated New Yorker would not be happy full time here. I am an outdoorsy person so I drove up into the mountains alot, birding and hiking (the easier trails) and spent almost every night out admiring the star-filled skies. I liked it.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:26 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,958,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelister1 View Post
I just rented for a month in Oro Valley, basically a suburb just north of Tucson. I was in a 55+ community, with plenty of people my age, that is mid-sixties. It seemed pretty easy to meet people and I was quickly invited to a block party, a birding field trip, etc. I have been worried about giving up everyone I know to start over, but I think it will be less painful here.
There was also alot of white hair and even older folks. It is quite active with many clubs from outdoor interests to indoor arts and crafts. Also, many brain food clubs from language, lectures, genealogy. You can veg or you can overload your calendar. There are many very nice housing options in the area between $100,000 and $250,000. Also many higher. I first thought how brown everything looked, after humid Florida but the dry weather and clear sunny days were most pleasant. The desert landscape and plantings grow on you after an adjustment period. Tucson is ringed with mountains and gorgeous vistas everywhere. I currently live in a charming walkable neighborhood that will be hard to leave, but I really dislike the sticky, buggy climate after 15 years. I have decided to concentrate on the Oro Valley (just north) or Green Valley (just south) areas. Both have very quick access to the airport, shopping and medical care. They are both at about 3500 feet elevation and cool off markedly as sun goes down. Summer, mid-day on the desert floor will be HOT, but not sticky. I'm glad I stayed a month to try it out because a quick visit would not have been as informative. Tucson itself is a very small city with the U.of A. providing some interesting events. I think a sophisticated New Yorker would not be happy full time here. I am an outdoorsy person so I drove up into the mountains alot, birding and hiking (the easier trails) and spent almost every night out admiring the star-filled skies. I liked it.
Sounds interesting. What will the daytime temps be in the summer at that elevation?

Old 05-05-2012, 01:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,658 posts, read 40,029,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
yummmmm...strawberries sound good. I...research Eugene, OR ...Santa Fe has a lot going for it and the more I work on my garden, the less I want to start over.

I have a friend that wants to move back to the PNW .... I'd definitely have to have a pottery studio to work in when it's raining.
Had fresh Strawberries tonight myself (and fresh asparagus & Rhubarb, of course) BENEFIT: When you FINALLY move to PNW, gardening is a snap (a muddy snap)... stuff grows like a jungle. JUST be sure to bring plenty of material for potting... 200+ rainy days / yr
enjoyed THIS today too (free of course... retiree style) Oregon Potters Association - Ceramic Showcase

OH and this concert last night;(Eugene grad students ) First Thursday Concert : Sherman Clay Blog THIS was fantastic!!! (and worth the rainy drive to town)
free of course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelister1 View Post
I just rented for a month in Oro Valley, basically a suburb just north of Tucson.... I am an outdoorsy person so I drove up into the mountains alot, birding and hiking (the easier trails) and spent almost every night out admiring the star-filled skies. I liked it.
I spend time in Oroville Del Webb myself (probably met you at a 'outdoor / birding' seminar'). My friends have a gorgeous view right on the tip of an arroyo so no close neighbors. "Bobby" entertains us getting his daily snack. (<10 ft from dining room table, just outside nice 'strong' windows)
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...obcat-2611.jpg

I could do Tuscon more, but NOT a steady diet of such.
Thus I will have multiple (mini) places in multiple climates until I'm 80, then I will have decided WHERE to land (by necessity, or be 6 ft under)

Old 05-06-2012, 01:46 PM

7 posts, read 8,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
As some of you know from following my posts, I am planning on retiring alone, but in a different area from where I am now (California) due to the costs.

I am curious if there are other single/divorced/widowed women out there considering relocating to another area by themselves, and if so to where, and why that location?

I am very torn about where to go. I love the sunshine and dry weather -- factors in my choices. I also want a social network, and am an eastcoaster, originally, and am wondering if I should reconsider the eastcoast because it seems more social. It will also just be my retirement income (it's just me!), and so lower costs, rather than higher, are important.

I'm not really old enough for the senior centers, as I've noticed they seem to be more filled with the 70 and over crowd. Therefore, since I am still lively and young at heart, I am looking for a place where older singles still mingle. I am searching out places that may work for a single retired woman. (I am 59 right now, but plan to try to stick it out here a few more years, if possible.)

I have diverse interests, moderate politics (Independent), and write, play a little piano for myself, draw, and teach art. I'm a social worker by trade, but would like to be involved in more activities and volunteering that would be "fun" oriented. I love hiking -- that is one of my favorite pursuits. I also adore cooking. I have a dog and three cats. I am also not religious, although I guess the term "Spiritual" would apply. My daughter will be in college, but also studying abroad, so she and I will not be in the same city.

I'd love to hear what others think about this situation. Thanks!
Wisteria
How amazing to read this note. I am in a similar place and wonder where you decided to move? Currently in Westchester, NY and considering SC or Atlanta. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement