U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 AM

8,134 posts, read 7,641,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I have not (obviously) been around for quite awhile.

Yes, I am still in Santa Cruz. And.....I actually retired!

I DID have some health issues, which also curtailed me.

So, I am starting to catch up on you all! Awwww, my circle of great women!!

I hope you are all well and happy! I have an appointment soon, so I can't stay, but felt it only proper to pop in and say "HI!!"
Welcome back young lady, soooooo good to see ya. You have certainly been missed. Huge hug out to you.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:35 PM

205 posts, read 359,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I have not (obviously) been around for quite awhile.

Yes, I am still in Santa Cruz. And.....I actually retired!

I DID have some health issues, which also curtailed me.

So, I am starting to catch up on you all! Awwww, my circle of great women!!

I hope you are all well and happy! I have an appointment soon, so I can't stay, but felt it only proper to pop in and say "HI!!"
So very glad to hear from you. It has been way way too long! Welcome to the Retirement Club!!! Please come back and post again - you need to catch us all up on, well everything!!

Old 05-23-2012, 09:45 PM

605 posts, read 556,453 times
Hello to each of you!

Wisteria, thank you for this Thread, pray you are feeling better. My folks purchased a "cabin"
in Boulder Creek, early 1960's. Sold it late 1960's.

Someone mentioned a convention of the women on this Thread---WHEN? We could discuss various
places to live, to know if we should move, stay put or just get to know one another. Possibly next
May, a small town out of a major city, i.e. Murfreesbro, south of Nashville? Ideas?

Myself, newly widowed, living on the Olympic Peninsula, WA, 9 months of grey days. DH were considering Western NC, myself possibly, south of TN---paternal roots. Weatherwise, folks tell
me they wouldn't move to the southeast, too hot, too humid. Is weather a major decision when
you think of moving?

Look forward to your ideas.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:10 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,058,318 times
Default Is weather a major decision...

it definitely has become one. When I first started my retirement relocation search, I wasn't very focused on weather but as the years as passed, it is becoming much more of a factor than I thought it would be. I had to admit I don't think I could handle all that heat/humidity for 6 months. In the US it's hard to avoid though...it's either heat or cold or both!

Old 05-24-2012, 06:21 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,973,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
it definitely has become one. When I first started my retirement relocation search, I wasn't very focused on weather but as the years as passed, it is becoming much more of a factor than I thought it would be. I had to admit I don't think I could handle all that heat/humidity for 6 months. In the US it's hard to avoid though...it's either heat or cold or both!
You are in the perfect place for weather! Why leave???

Old 05-26-2012, 06:13 AM

112 posts, read 225,852 times
WOW!! Looks like this thread has been going on for a longgg time !! I just now stumbled upon it, may I join in the conversation...

California is an expensive state to live in. Housing cost is INSANELY RIDICULOUS...cost of gas RIDICULOUS...traffic at NASCAR race track speed or freeway parking lot slow. I lived there for 4+ decades and upon retirement moved out of state.

I just went through the same thing "where do I want to land" and 4-seasons and limited income were factors for me too. I did want 4-seasons (just enough snow to say it snowed and a white Christmas), but why oh why I landed in southern Arizona can only be a God thing...and I think He has a sense of humor because I melt at 80 degrees and I moved to Tucson where the temp's are hot, hotter, and inferno ~ lol. But like being inside with the furnace turned on for the snow months reverse it with air conditioning and the heat.

Looking for other people with similar interests check out the MeetUp.com site (it is NOT a dating site). Enter your zip code and wa-la a variety of groups in that area pop-up. You can enter what your interests are (i.e. knitting, hiking, volunteering, cooking, art, theater, etc.) and it will focus you to that particular group. Your information is given to only the group(s) that you join and not the entire MeetUp site. If you'd like to volunteer check out RSVP (Retired Senior Volunteer Program) and VOA (Volunteers of America).

Last edited by finernfrogfur; 05-26-2012 at 06:24 AM..

Old 05-26-2012, 06:37 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,607,940 times
Default Update on my life ~~

It's been a while since I last posted and a lot has happened in my life, not related to relocation but something to think about, anyway.

At the end of last year I "met" a gentleman on one of the dating sites and we communicated daily by email and phone, for two months; then he drove the 500 miles to meet me in person. There was a mutual attraction and we've been visiting each other back-and-forth, working on a long-distance relationship since then. It's not easy but certainly my life has been enriched by his friendship.

So, relocation thoughts are on hold for now but inevitable for the future !!

Old 05-27-2012, 12:19 AM

384 posts, read 877,447 times
ConeyIsBabe - your post brought a smile to my face ... one never knows what is around the corner! Enjoy!!

Old 05-28-2012, 05:43 AM

205 posts, read 359,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
It's been a while since I last posted and a lot has happened in my life, not related to relocation but something to think about, anyway.

At the end of last year I "met" a gentleman on one of the dating sites and we communicated daily by email and phone, for two months; then he drove the 500 miles to meet me in person. There was a mutual attraction and we've been visiting each other back-and-forth, working on a long-distance relationship since then. It's not easy but certainly my life has been enriched by his friendship.

Good for you! Am happy for you and know that having a good friend/companion in our lives certainly makes the days better!

Old 05-28-2012, 06:14 AM

2,626 posts, read 4,951,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post

Congratulations! I am so happy for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement