U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 11:08 PM

606 posts, read 556,987 times

Advertisements

Suggestion, let's get together, decide where to live and form our community or
rent someplace in town, city of choice, rent for a couple months, see what we then decide ? !

Old 06-05-2012, 12:13 AM

967 posts, read 919,867 times
The issue of transportation has become a big one for me much sooner than I'd planned. Although several nice posters on this forum from Phoenix area tried to warn me that I would be pretty "far out" (and not in the 60's lingo, either, lol) I wasn't too concerned. I figured I'd feel so much better after my big move....and it really didn't SEEM that far. But despite feeling better in some ways, my fibro seems to have "progressed" and driving is difficult for me, tiring, causes physical pain and much psychological distress as I try to navigate unfamiliar area and cope with city traffic of the type that scares me, being used to a small town enviornment. Sounds silly, I guess, but since everything in all areas of my life is "new" there's so much to deal with that I'm on over-load, and the driving/transportation question is about the last straw for me. I figure that within 2 years I will have to relocate again and plan to look for a senior citizen community with some form of public transportation. I have had 4 surgeries on my eyes in the last 8 years...think I may be due for another soon....so it's a real concern. I lived for over 30 years in a town where everything was centrally located...didn't realize how easy that made life. I often considered returning, but the weather makes me hurt so badly I just couldn't handle the physical pain, so that's out. For many people a 30 min drive to get somewhere is insignificant....and 45 min to an hr just the norm. I planned for almost 3 years before I made this cross-country move......and still have to move again. Discouraging, to say the least! But all we can do is make the best decisions at the time, based on the best information we could gather at the time, I suppose. because my health isn't stellar, and because insurance is a real problem for me, I worry a great deal about losing everything anyway. Not sure how to handle that.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:59 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,498 times
artangel - it isn't silly - starting over takes a lot of energy and time. I remember when I moved to WA I would take a map out and pick something to find so I would learn the roads. I don't like driving highways because of vision problems so I'd find the alternate routes and would get lost. I don't want to move again partly because of that process. I once lived in a small town where I could walk to work and stores--it was great. Santa Fe isn't that small but I could get to a bus stop from my house and walk to a store if I needed to. If I had moved to where I would have preferred but couldn't afford that wouldn't be possible. Now I realize it was a good thing.

I find as a single person living in town is better even though I prefer the country. When I invite people over they are more willing to come if I don't live 30 minutes out of town so it's easier to make friends. I'm also more likely to do things if it's not a long drive. I've gotten to know my neighbors because we are on much smaller lots. And eventually I could do without a car.

Have you started looking for where you will be moving? I usually feel better if I start taking steps towards where I need to be and now you know what you want and don't want. Hope to hear things improve for you soon.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:16 PM

4,408 posts, read 5,931,325 times
Hi all, I haven't been here for months so I'm trying to catch up. Welcome to the newcomers! I just wanted to give you all an update. I started here in '08 or so, wanting to move back to Southern CA, but ended up buying a small rancher in my hometown of Phila. PA. My elderly Mom lived in FL and I considered moving down with her to help her, but I decided I didn't want to give up my entire life here. So I got her into assisted-living about a year ago in FL. Well, a few months ago, she died unexpectedly from a fall (severe brain injury due to blood-thinners). Of course, now I wish I had moved in with her....maybe she could've had a few more good years. Oh well, I made a decision that I thought was right at the time. Anyhow, I still have her condo, which is in a beautiful area on the Gulf coast. I may end up moving there if I cannot afford to keep up two places. At best, I'd like to be a snowbird, as the cold weather really takes a toll on me. I spent a few months there after my Mom's death, and the people in her over-55 are very friendly and welcoming. So, even though I still have dreams of that CA weather, I don't think financially it would ever be possible, and the FL Gulf Coast would be the next-best thing.

Amazing how your life and plans can change so drastically frome one year to another.

ETA: Wisteria -- coincidentally enough, one of the couples I became friendly with in FL are actually from Santa Cruz! Very fun and friendly folks. They live in FL full-time now, but small world, huh?

Last edited by Avalon08; 06-07-2012 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: Added something

Old 06-08-2012, 09:52 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,065,022 times
Avalon, good to hear from you...welcome back! thanks for filling us in on what has been going on your life, and I'm very sorry to hear about your mom. I think we all second-guess ourselves when things like that happen but I'm sure you did your best for your mom. Sad but true, seems falls are almost inevitable at some point. Interesting that you are feeling attracted to living in Florida...it's great that you have a place to go to during those cold winters!

Old 06-08-2012, 01:00 PM

Thanks, loveautumn. Have you made any progress with your decision on where to move?

Sami, I found your post interesting about Fearrington Village. Wow, that place looks upscale (and expensive), for sure! To me, that negates the point of moving that far away from your family, which seems to be an important factor for you. The other thing I found interesting was the interview with the past president of the HOA. Most of his interview is spent talking about how he misses the "big city" environment and the many areas he can go for urban or beach get-aways (but those areas aren't particularly close). Coming from a huge metropolitan area will be a major adjustment, so I'd concur that an extended visit would be advisable.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:28 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,955,690 times
Default the brainiest cities.....

Found this article regarding the brainiest cities in the U.S. #2 is my hometown!!

America's Brainiest Cities - Neighborhoods - The Atlantic Cities

Old 06-08-2012, 02:33 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,065,022 times
well, I'm making some progess. I really want to live in Virginia somewhere! thanks for asking...

Old 06-08-2012, 03:26 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,397,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
well, I'm making some progess. I really want to live in Virginia somewhere! thanks for asking...
Progress Now, tell us why you have chosen Virginia?

Old 06-09-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Progress Now, tell us why you have chosen Virginia?
Great that you've narrowed it down, Loveautumn! I, too, am curious about how/why you chose VA. It's a big state with many different vibes -- city, country, mountains, ocean -- looking forward to hearing what attracted you (besides the fantastic autumns!). I have a couple friends and family members who have moved there and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement