U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 04:30 PM

419 posts, read 658,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacienda Hollyhock View Post
In Az my kids about passed out trick or treating.
Why is it necessary to over exagerate just to try and make a point? I think anyone who knows anything about the Sonoran desert can agree that it gets hot during the summer. My daugher spent 10 yrs. trick or treating here in Arizona. Some years it was cool enough for a light jacket. She nor her friends came anywhere near passing out from the heat. Maybe you shouldn't have dressed your children as grizzly bears.

People need to use common sense in pursuing activities in different weather conditions. Here in Arizona you do not go on long jogs in the heat of the day. You do not run up and down Camelback mountain or go for a trek in the desert without any water. You certainly do not leave your children or pets in locked cars.

Almost every area of the country has weather features that are not desirable. I am sure that you are aware that it can get pretty darn cold in Santa Fe during the winter months. Maybe not as cold as MN but cold none the less.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:00 PM

6,125 posts, read 9,088,474 times
SC; I think Hollyhock was just joking. Please try to lighten up. We all need to have some fun on this site !

Old 06-20-2012, 06:24 PM

20 posts, read 34,553 times
Thanks PhxBarb! I certainly did feel "put down". I just wanted to share my two location experiences after Yuma was mentioned. I spent two days hibernating with asthma last week and discovered this thread. I spent three days reading it and didn't have time to finish it yet. I found it so enjoyable that I feel like I actually know some of you. NO, I wasn't trying to be offensive. I just wanted to clarify it IS very hot for long stretches of time in Arizona. I mentioned Santa Fe because we find the weather so agreeable to outdoor activities. Yup, even in winter. We found it encouraging that no one had a snow blower in the garage when we were looking at homes for sale. Since this a thread to discuss different retirement spots I just wanted to share the two I am familiar with.
By the way, I was wondering if Wisteria and Nancythereader ever post anymore. Best of luck to all where ever you land!

Old 06-20-2012, 07:44 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,238,618 times
Quote:
I just wanted to clarify it IS very hot for long stretches of time in Arizona.
The lettuce likes it.

(I'm probably landing in the Show Low area - if it hits 90 up there for more than a few days, it's a major heat wave. )

Old 06-20-2012, 07:47 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,238,618 times
Quote:
By the way, I was wondering if Wisteria and Nancythereader ever post anymore. Best of luck to all where ever you land!
Wisteria went away for a very long time and then surprised us with a post on May 22 of this year ...

Old 06-20-2012, 09:33 PM

419 posts, read 658,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
SC; I think Hollyhock was just joking. Please try to lighten up. We all need to have some fun on this site !
No, I do not think Hollyhock was just joking. This is a fun site but more importantly, it is an informative site.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:47 PM

6,125 posts, read 9,088,474 times
OK so let me inform you about my day.
I dragged myself out of the house at noon to go see my Mom in Assisted Living. I was sweating just getting there and its only a 10 minute (or less) drive. Got there and felt very very tired. From there, went to Lowes to get furnace filters. I could hardly walk into the store. I was so pooped. Found the filters, but no grass seed. Back in the blistering heat at 4 pm and over to HD. Found the grass seed. Back in the car (also known as an oven) and made it home where I landed on the couch and took a half hour nap.

The heat DOES take alot out of you here. Especially for us older folk. Maybe we need a little humor to try to get thru the next FIVE MONTHS, huh???

Old 06-20-2012, 09:48 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
No, I do not think Hollyhock was just joking. This is a fun site but more importantly, it is an informative site.
Well I can honestly say I "just about died" taking the dog for a walk today (whew, it is hot indeed) but others might take exception to my exaggerative joking. People may not move here based on my comment, not realizing that it's normally not like this in the summer, so I can see your point. There are so many generalities people say and think about areas, rather than experiencing themselves. What's so helpful on CD is to get these firsthand accounts, but they also have to be all taken with a grain of salt (or sand).

Old 06-20-2012, 10:01 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Alrighty then~~~~it's been raining here for (? not sure) but a long time and I'm starting to mold and the house feels clammy. I'd never survive in the PNW. I do a daily "move this crap to CO" dance - they desperately need it.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:42 PM

605 posts, read 556,884 times
Umbria,

Read that Duluth had so much rain, the many animals in the zoo were dying? Must check the news. DH was born and raised in Duluth; third sister lives in the suburbs of Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement