U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 10:14 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,089,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I hope your heat wave passes soon. I remember spending the summers at my grandmother's farm in Ohio and trying to survive the heat waves with high humidity. I did love the Fireflies, but not the sticky weather. Happens to all of us. The video my daughter took a the rec center did not work on my email so I will take my camera to take a few photos of the rec center this morning and the clay club. Be fun for everyone to post some photos of retirement spots they find.
It's great to see other clay people on here! Do you ever come to the NMCPA's annual workshop at Ghost Ranch? Arthur Gonzales will be there this year. I did a paper on him for my college ceramic class and really look forward to seeing his work in person. The setting is gorgeous - Georgia O'Keffe country and the classes are held in Clay Hollow--outdoors under a pavilion. So much fun.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:36 AM

6,956 posts, read 7,409,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Okay Umbria, out of curiosity why am I "almost" a lady! Do you think I'm a man? Karcon and I met when she was here and can confirm I am really a woman. or was that just to get me to post?

Just checking to see if you're paying attention I knew we'd hear from you soon and yes, I knew you were a female. Like you, I am always digging and doing other such yard work that many think would be "man's work" (I really hate that phrase) and have been told I should act more "like a lady" (as they waddle off to sit on the couch). I have a neighbor next door that won't even wheel the trash cans into the garage but will wait for her husband to get home to do it. I blew her mind the other night when I was leaving to meet friends for dinner - dressed "like a lady" - otherwise I'm in my gardening or painting clothes. She even gave me that up and down look (starts at your face and then goes all the way down to your shoes and back up).

OK - off to mow the backyard.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:51 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,089,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Just checking to see if you're paying attention I knew we'd hear from you soon and yes, I knew you were a female. Like you, I am always digging and doing other such yard work that many think would be "man's work" (I really hate that phrase) and have been told I should act more "like a lady" (as they waddle off to sit on the couch). I have a neighbor next door that won't even wheel the trash cans into the garage but will wait for her husband to get home to do it. I blew her mind the other night when I was leaving to meet friends for dinner - dressed "like a lady" - otherwise I'm in my gardening or painting clothes. She even gave me that up and down look (starts at your face and then goes all the way down to your shoes and back up).

OK - off to mow the backyard.
Oh you are tricky! You knew I couldn't resist asking! I hate the boxes we create with language. Today I am a "lady"--summer skirt, feminine (lace on it) top, and jewelry. I love wearing dresses and skirts in summer.

My Mom use to make us play outside (5 kids--small house) so I think that's where I learned to love being outside. I loved climbing trees and playing in the sandbox along with playing with my dolls.

Living alone so long you really learn to do it yourself. When I got divorced I had to learn to pump gas--never had done it before that. I've come a long way. I've drawn the line at changing the oil in my car myself although my daughter will do it. I'm not very mechanical. I think it was really funny when my sister-in-law said I got my mechanical abilities from my Mom (not my Dad) and I replied "no, for sure I get them from my Dad."

Ugh--gotta do a webex on postal changes coming up. The most boring part of my job. Mowing the yard sounds like more fun.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:57 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,603,136 times
Quote:
It's great to see other clay people on here! Do you ever come to the NMCPA's annual workshop at Ghost Ranch? Arthur Gonzales will be there this year. I did a paper on him for my college ceramic class and really look forward to seeing his work in person. The setting is gorgeous - Georgia O'Keffe country and the classes are held in Clay Hollow--outdoors under a pavilion. So much fun.
Have not been to Ghost Ranch, but it sounds wonderful. We did go to a workshop in Raku and Hal Rieger (sp)? was there. He was almost 100 years old but still playing with clay. He was the first person to bring the art of Raku to the USA after the war from Japan where he went instead of joining up. He was awesome even then. My instructor was a long time friend of his and was doing a documentary on his life at the time.
I do love clay.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:55 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,964,089 times
Quote:
Different perspectives should be welcome here. Everyone's body reacts differently to temperatures. I keep my house at 60 in the winter and my body is so use to it I really don't like it any higher than 65--then I'm hot. I would also feel like I was melting in AZ. For myself I would find having to stay inside all the time a horrible way to live. Depresses me just thinking about it.

The temps in Santa Fe are not so extremely cold that you can't get outside to play especially because it doesn't feel damp too. It's unusual to get below 20 but we do have times we get down to 0. Seems like in December for the last two years. I am able to go snowshoeing and hiking all winter. If I don't want snow I stay at lower elevations. When I first moved here I didn't even bring a snow shovel along but did break down and buy one for the rare times I have to shovel my walks. I do that mainly so I don't walk on it and pack it down and it turns to ice. Otherwise the sun takes care of it pretty quickly unless it's in shade. A snowblower would be a crazy use of garage space. HH--any questions just DM me.

Okay Umbria, out of curiosity why am I "almost" a lady! Do you think I'm a man? Karcon and I met when she was here and can confirm I am really a woman. or was that just to get me to post?

Most of the time I keep up with the threads but since getting more and more commited to staying in Santa Fe the rest of my life I don't have much to say. I've been collecting boulders to build raised garden beds so that when I get really old I can sit on the wall to garden. That's commitment! The trick will be finding a way to keep the house when I can no longer work.

The heat & high humidity of south Florida....from June through October, drains my energy. I would love to find a climate with highs up to 72 max and lows at night ~ 50. I have so much more energy and can accomplish so much more outdoors (gardening) when it is cool. Is there such a place in the U.S....inexpensive, tax friendly, no or not much in the way of natural disasters?

Old 06-22-2012, 04:29 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,964,089 times
Where in Maine? LOl! Doesn't it get kind of cold in the winter? How long are Maine winters?

Old 06-22-2012, 08:58 PM

4,412 posts, read 5,944,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
The heat & high humidity of south Florida....from June through October, drains my energy. I would love to find a climate with highs up to 72 max and lows at night ~ 50. I have so much more energy and can accomplish so much more outdoors (gardening) when it is cool. Is there such a place in the U.S....inexpensive, tax friendly, no or not much in the way of natural disasters?
No.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:52 AM

384 posts, read 878,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post

S.E. Alaska - of course, you would have to LOVE rain.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:04 PM

606 posts, read 558,213 times
Popcorn,

Come to the Olympic Peninsula, WA; Sequim, a town where mostly Alaskans, Californians retire, is known as the
Rainshadow. Rain not so much as GRAY days; 70* is a heatwave! Check City-Data, WA state, 6,000 under population
and scroll down to Sequim.

Port Angeles, Blyn several towns on the Peninsula; about 2 hours from Seattle, an hour from major shopping.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:29 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,257,642 times
Sera -

In the same area - what is the town/village of Port Ludlow like? Any idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement