U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 12:53 AM

606 posts, read 557,352 times

Advertisements

Personally I cannot tell you about Port Ludlow, went to City-Data, population 2,180. Again, it seems another
retirement town. Again, on the Olympic Peninsula, gray days, rural areas.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:16 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,242,460 times
Thanks, sera. Was hoping you had some "I-live-in-the-area-type-information"

Found a house 2 streets from the water, neighborhood looked clean (and oh so green!) and was surprised by the very reasonable price. But the listed property taxes kinda made me go eeeek.

Guess I'll just have to make my way up there, LOL

Sequim/Port Angeles was on my Lookee List already

Old 06-24-2012, 12:20 PM

7,983 posts, read 11,673,230 times
Wow 541 pages! Amazing thread. I wish I could help others here with suggestions but unfortunately I am also a seeker.
I recently realized that in 2.5 years, age 56, I can leave my current job with a small retirement. I will not be able to quit working but if I can I would like to move to that elusive somewhere I can settle in. I've been here for 5 years and this place is not it. With my small retirement I can manage with lower paying jobs I hope and then progress to part-time and then full-time retirement.
My problem is that I have no family or friends close enough to.... provide direction? to where I end up. When my 87 year ol Mother in Mich goes, thats it. My mother and employment have been the factor up to now. So here I am, looking for that 'place'..
I thought to start by trying to find places that had the geography, weather, activities I liked and that is still a big factor. But I realized too that since I am alone in the world and am sort of quiet and have few of the type of activities or skills that provide connections to people, and I want some connection, that I also need to factor in friendly, open, etc.
I am hampered by not having been very many places and know that what I think I want may be different in the reality, but I don't know how else to start.
I'm from Michigan though I don't live there now (working as close as I can work to drive to Mothers on occasional weekends). I still love all the lakes, ponds, streams and green. Yet I feel drawn to the west even though I don't have much experience with it. Went to Yellowstone a few falls ago. The piney woods, fly fishing rivers (don't fish but loved the water, American Dippers! http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Dipper/id) so much wildness and wild west history in the west.
So my dream list looks like this.

Main hobby - birdwatching, nature. So near somewhere with ready access to a good birdwatching and nature spot, like a federal wildlife area and with good backyard birds for bird feeding (the idea of quail or grouse as yard birds!).

I'm a born dyed in the wool moderate, independent agnostic with a very rational analytical bent. Nothing against...whatever...but I tend to like college towns although not necessarily snooty or outrageously liberal. I am college educated white collar but my parents were blue collar. Open kind friendly tolerant people, senior friendly all a plus.

Town size: smaller although it depends. If its the only place of any size around, up to 100,000 is ok. If its a small town near a bigger town/city than 5,000 is probably ok. Generally speaking I would prefer not to be in an area with high population density spread out for miles and miles. I like to be able to get out in the country and drift around the countryside in my car looking for birds and enjoying nature without cars constantly stacking up behind me.
Like most retirees I don't want to be too far from a decent medical facility.
Would love a place where a small house on the edge, btw town and nature with a couple of acres is an affordable possibility. These places are hard to find, many houses are too large regardless of price.
Weather; I prefer cool and don't mind winter. I tend to like to read a lot and that fits in with winter just fine. Ultimately I would like to spend a few months a year RV'ing around, like maybe Jan, Feb So winter is ok. I have found that as I get older long periods of gray/no sun wear on me. Now I don't know if it would be so bad if I weren't working in a cubical in a windowless room like I am now. But currently I would like somewhere that isn't gray from November to March. Rain or snow ok as long as its interspersed with some sun.
That's a lot of requirements. Any leads or info like....I live here and its not the right place, helpful.

Last edited by Giesela; 06-24-2012 at 12:49 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 01:40 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,242,460 times
Giesela - I don't know if I posted this here, or someplace else on CD, but I'll post it anyway.

Get a large map of the US from the stationary store. Stick it on the wall. Now X out any area you know you are definitely not interested because of any reason (For me, it was any place with high humidity, deserts, and large cities/megalopolis). Now you at least know where not to investigate. As you hear of places that sound good - circle the area. Start googling

I've got mine down to AZ, CO, ID, MT, NM, NV, OR, UT, WA, and WY. I want small-town-type places with hills/mountains/pine trees - so some of these are almost completely X'd out (only about 5 square miles of NV is left ).

I was going to the *White Mountains* of AZ, and then my sister passed away this past January. I'm seriously looking at Montana because I enjoy my niece's family so much. But I also look at property taxes - WA seems high to me, but I can't stop looking, LOL. My Mom (age 91) is still here in CA - when she passes on, I'm leaving the state.

*White Mountains* - The Show Low area is still #1 in my heart

Get a map and start throwing darts

Old 06-24-2012, 01:55 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,957,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Giesela - I don't know if I posted this here, or someplace else on CD, but I'll post it anyway.

Get a large map of the US from the stationary store. Stick it on the wall. Now X out any area you know you are definitely not interested because of any reason (For me, it was any place with high humidity, deserts, and large cities/megalopolis). Now you at least know where not to investigate. As you hear of places that sound good - circle the area. Start googling

I've got mine down to AZ, CO, ID, MT, NM, NV, OR, UT, WA, and WY. I want small-town-type places with hills/mountains/pine trees - so some of these are almost completely X'd out (only about 5 square miles of NV is left ).

I was going to the *White Mountains* of AZ, and then my sister passed away this past January. I'm seriously looking at Montana because I enjoy my niece's family so much. But I also look at property taxes - WA seems high to me, but I can't stop looking, LOL. My Mom (age 91) is still here in CA - when she passes on, I'm leaving the state.

*White Mountains* - The Show Low area is still #1 in my heart

Get a map and start throwing darts
Wow, Show low looks very interesting! Thanks for the links!

Old 06-24-2012, 10:28 PM

****.com is another resource, one answers questions, then cities that might appeal to you based on your answers come up. Also, you can add cities you are interested in too.

One can make friends by joining groups you are interested i.e. every Wednesday morning at a local nature trail, is a
bird walk, a birding group? The local senior center has many activities.

Folks here on the Retirement Forum and you can ask about certain states or go to that particular state. Being Very
specific what you desire is very helpful too.

For myself, have wanted to thank responders as I have received a lot of comfort from those offering comfort when I
mention my husband of 41 years transitioned to Heaven February,2012. By sharing, telling of this major event, am not
seeking sympathy as much as I am trying to realize my journey with Bruce is just now memories. Have the Blessed Assurance he is in Heaven and is healed at last.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:30 PM

Did not realize one cannot mention other websites; e-mail me if you desire the website. Sorry, still do not know all the rules---yet!

Old 06-28-2012, 02:25 PM

205 posts, read 360,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Okay Umbria, out of curiosity why am I "almost" a lady! Do you think I'm a man? Karcon and I met when she was here and can confirm I am really a woman. or was that just to get me to post?
Now that is too funny. I can most assuredly attest to the fact that Dancing Earth is definitely a woman. Fun and interesting. And she was most hospitable, introduced me to another friend and showed me around on a walking tour. Had a really great time!

Old 06-29-2012, 09:40 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,087,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
Now that is too funny. I can most assuredly attest to the fact that Dancing Earth is definitely a woman. Fun and interesting. And she was most hospitable, introduced me to another friend and showed me around on a walking tour. Had a really great time!
I thought you'd like that. When ya coming back? Fall is a great time to visit. The balloon fiesta is fantastic. My sister visited for the first time last fall and is now hooked. She came again this spring for a long weekend between business trips.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:42 PM

306 posts, read 338,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Wow 541 pages! Amazing thread. I wish I could help others here with suggestions but unfortunately I am also a seeker.
I recently realized that in 2.5 years, age 56, I can leave my current job with a small retirement. I will not be able to quit working but if I can I would like to move to that elusive somewhere I can settle in. I've been here for 5 years and this place is not it. With my small retirement I can manage with lower paying jobs I hope and then progress to part-time and then full-time retirement.
My problem is that I have no family or friends close enough to.... provide direction? to where I end up. When my 87 year ol Mother in Mich goes, thats it. My mother and employment have been the factor up to now. So here I am, looking for that 'place'..
I thought to start by trying to find places that had the geography, weather, activities I liked and that is still a big factor. But I realized too that since I am alone in the world and am sort of quiet and have few of the type of activities or skills that provide connections to people, and I want some connection, that I also need to factor in friendly, open, etc.
I am hampered by not having been very many places and know that what I think I want may be different in the reality, but I don't know how else to start.
I'm from Michigan though I don't live there now (working as close as I can work to drive to Mothers on occasional weekends). I still love all the lakes, ponds, streams and green. Yet I feel drawn to the west even though I don't have much experience with it. Went to Yellowstone a few falls ago. The piney woods, fly fishing rivers (don't fish but loved the water, American Dippers! American Dipper, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology) so much wildness and wild west history in the west.
So my dream list looks like this.

Main hobby - birdwatching, nature. So near somewhere with ready access to a good birdwatching and nature spot, like a federal wildlife area and with good backyard birds for bird feeding (the idea of quail or grouse as yard birds!).

I'm a born dyed in the wool moderate, independent agnostic with a very rational analytical bent. Nothing against...whatever...but I tend to like college towns although not necessarily snooty or outrageously liberal. I am college educated white collar but my parents were blue collar. Open kind friendly tolerant people, senior friendly all a plus.

Town size: smaller although it depends. If its the only place of any size around, up to 100,000 is ok. If its a small town near a bigger town/city than 5,000 is probably ok. Generally speaking I would prefer not to be in an area with high population density spread out for miles and miles. I like to be able to get out in the country and drift around the countryside in my car looking for birds and enjoying nature without cars constantly stacking up behind me.
Like most retirees I don't want to be too far from a decent medical facility.
Would love a place where a small house on the edge, btw town and nature with a couple of acres is an affordable possibility. These places are hard to find, many houses are too large regardless of price.
Weather; I prefer cool and don't mind winter. I tend to like to read a lot and that fits in with winter just fine. Ultimately I would like to spend a few months a year RV'ing around, like maybe Jan, Feb So winter is ok. I have found that as I get older long periods of gray/no sun wear on me. Now I don't know if it would be so bad if I weren't working in a cubical in a windowless room like I am now. But currently I would like somewhere that isn't gray from November to March. Rain or snow ok as long as its interspersed with some sun.
That's a lot of requirements. Any leads or info like....I live here and its not the right place, helpful.
Our dream list is very similar, especially the birding,reading and rv'ing although I dream of a small RV to just leisurely travel and live in for a couple years. Texas is very birdy especially Corpus Christi area, cheap and sunny, but hot in summer. If you are still in the Michigan part of the country that might be a nice get away in the winter. I'm in Oregon and while the birding is pretty good here, in the valley where i am it's pretty gloomy in the winter actuallt this year it's still gloomy at the end of June. I am looking at teh Klamath Falls area as it's cheap, good birding. I also have pondered Pa. as low cost in many areas, decent birding and close to Cape May for migration. I would love to hear what areas are catching your eye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement