U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 11:08 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,213,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Lenora,

Posted on the Poll, why cannot this Thread be "unstickied" and left open-excuse poor grammar! Shall we all just
mosey to the Chat Thread. Do NOT like to think of folks leaving even though I am relatively new to Posting on a
semi?/regular basis.
I just started using the "subscribed threads" so I suppose I will be alerted when someone updates the thread IF I remember to sign on to C-D. I usually browse the threads without signing on. As for others, well, I believe the thread will most likely die without the sticky.

I have been on C-D long enough to know that the chat thread cannot substitute for the women retiring alone thread. Example: Jenny posts about living below the poverty level, not particularly uncommon among elderly female seniors but other posters feel free to bash her for the posting. The same would occur on the chat thread. It is HIGHLY unlikely that would have occurred had she posted on this forum. IOW, most of the a******* don't bother to harass us on this thread.

Single retired women face very different issues than men or married women. On this thread, we have "always singles", divorced singles and widows. I am a divorced single who was married for a VERY long time. When I first read this thread, the "always singles" and the long time divorcees/widows offered a lot of valuable information and more importantly for me, served as role models. They succeeded, I could too. There was the rare snippy comment but even then we accepted each other without judgement. There is an understanding that although we are all have different strengths and weaknesses, we all have something to contribute and kind of share the feeling of "been there, done that, let me help." I don't know if this makes any sense or whether I'm mistakenly projecting my feelings about this thread to others, but this is my perception of this thread. I'm afraid if it loses its sticky, newcomers will not see the thread and join our group. Not much I can do about it, but this thread is what has me coming back to C-D.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:57 AM

605 posts, read 556,041 times
Thank you Lenora for your explanation. As a recent widow (February) I appreciate your comments. Right now as I
creep along in my new journey solo, I need lots of wisdom.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:06 PM

2,215 posts, read 2,032,891 times
I voted to keep it a sticky, but the vote is going the other way. I can see where it might not interest men. If it's not a sticky, women may not find the thread, unless someone posts here every day to keep it near the top of the listings. I've found this to be one of the more useful online forums and would be sorry to see it wither and die because women new to C-D couldn't find it.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:29 PM

277 posts, read 298,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I just started using the "subscribed threads" so I suppose I will be alerted when someone updates the thread IF I remember to sign on to C-D. I usually browse the threads without signing on. As for others, well, I believe the thread will most likely die without the sticky.

I have been on C-D long enough to know that the chat thread cannot substitute for the women retiring alone thread. Example: Jenny posts about living below the poverty level, not particularly uncommon among elderly female seniors but other posters feel free to bash her for the posting. The same would occur on the chat thread. It is HIGHLY unlikely that would have occurred had she posted on this forum. IOW, most of the a******* don't bother to harass us on this thread.

Single retired women face very different issues than men or married women. On this thread, we have "always singles", divorced singles and widows. I am a divorced single who was married for a VERY long time. When I first read this thread, the "always singles" and the long time divorcees/widows offered a lot of valuable information and more importantly for me, served as role models. They succeeded, I could too. There was the rare snippy comment but even then we accepted each other without judgement. There is an understanding that although we are all have different strengths and weaknesses, we all have something to contribute and kind of share the feeling of "been there, done that, let me help." I don't know if this makes any sense or whether I'm mistakenly projecting my feelings about this thread to others, but this is my perception of this thread. I'm afraid if it loses its sticky, newcomers will not see the thread and join our group. Not much I can do about it, but this thread is what has me coming back to C-D.

I agree 100% should remain a sticky. As a complete outsider to c-d, I read, and was amazed by, the entire 500 odd pages. Getting de-stickied won't be the end of the world, but you're not going to capture others like sera who could so benefit from the community.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:45 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,053,444 times
where is the poll...I must have missed it

nevermind, I just found it. Had to get my vote in...this thread has helped me so much to know I'm not the only one out there! Save Our Thread!!!

Old 07-06-2012, 05:28 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,387,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
where is the poll...I must have missed it

nevermind, I just found it. Had to get my vote in...this thread has helped me so much to know I'm not the only one out there! Save Our Thread!!!
Looks like we are getting more & more votes on the poll. It will help to leave your comment there too - I believe they will weigh poll votes & comments when they decide.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:31 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,964,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Looks like we are getting more & more votes on the poll. It will help to leave your comment there too - I believe they will weigh poll votes & comments when they decide.
Where do you leave comments on a poll?

If you don't want to select one of the given choices, how do you get your comments seen?

Old 07-06-2012, 06:43 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,387,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Where do you leave comments on a poll?

If you don't want to select one of the given choices, how do you get your comments seen?
Just go to that thread and post like any other thread.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:45 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,917,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
Avalon08, I think if you move to an area with an open mind and not try to change the place into the place you came from, it's much easier. We moved to TN almost 5 years ago from CT/NY and love it down here. There's southern hospitality, great food, etc..... I may miss some of the things from up north but enjoying the new things the south has to offer.
Totally agree....I always felt I didn't give CA enough time, I didn't embrace the cultural differences, I kept fighting them, kept coming back home at every opportunity to get my "Philly fix". Therefore, I never adjusted and came back after only two years -- the blink of an eye in the grand scheme of things.

Now I have to go find that poll!

Old 07-06-2012, 09:44 PM

605 posts, read 556,041 times
Suggestion: Perhaps those of us who find the Thread helpful, could Post each day. For myself, would make the effort
to do this. Have Posted regularly to another Thread on another site and it too, has been going for YEARS !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement