U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 11:05 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,037,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueño View Post
Your math is correct, after two years in Tucson the attitude of people, outrageous utilities, high property taxes (mine went up 40% the second year), I live across the street from Tucson city limits. If you live outside city limits there is no Emergency 911 ambulance-fire coverage unless you subscribe. Range: $200-$1,600, this past year ambulance services became extra subscription of $256 on top of the fire coverage.
I live in Pima County and fire and 911 service are covered by the fire district. It's paid for by taxes and we don't pay anything extra. They also come to remove rattlesnakes at no charge. My property taxes have gone down every year for the past few years.
I guess it depends on where you choose to live.
I'd like to leave Arizona too, because of how the state government is run, not because of Tucson.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:43 AM

8,621 posts, read 9,689,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Real estate, rent, gas, food and utilities are all cheaper on your side of the border compared to where I am, LOL My post was nothing against Payson - had a great time there AND I have the t-shirt to prove it!

As for property taxes, this is from a spreadsheet I have ...
(includes the AZ counties I considered. NOW you know one of the reasons I like Show Low)

County Median Real Estate Taxes Paid, Averaged over 2005 - 2009
(United States $1805)
CA Riverside County $2,391
AZ Yavapai County (Prescott, Ash Fork) $1,144
AZ Coconino County (Flagstaff, Williams) $1,027
AZ Gila County (Payson, Pine, Strawberry) $811
AZ Navajo County (Show Low) $403

According to the their city-data pages cost of living is
(United States 100.00)
Prescott 94.3
Payson 90.7
Where I am now 114.6
I knew you weren't dissing Payson. I know that where you live IS pretty expensive and I'm glad I live where I do 'cause it isn't!

One of the good things about living in Yavapai county...and it might be statewide, I don't really know...is that seniors DO get tax breaks on their property. I suppose, because the value has dropped so much it has gone down some too, but I know my mom doesn't pay that much for this place. Actually she pays closer to Navajo County tax rates.

I know you've done extensive research so I figured you'd have those figures stashed somewhere. lol

Old 07-09-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueño View Post
Sera:
Thanks for the welcome. I would like to stay in an area with mild weather, a small to medium town with good medical and shopping. Next weekend I will be in Las Cruces, New Mexico, some of the early post in this thread mentioned retirement there.

AZ Desert Brat:
I’ve spent time in Prescott, Jerome, Cottonwood, and Sedona.
Maybe if I had chosen the Verde Valley in 2005 I would not want to move.
I was out of town when the storm hit Tucson and Ina Road was closed so didn’t have to deal with the mess. I do not want to stay in Arizona, bad taste from Tucson/Pima County. Have a great trip in August, sounds like fun!

Gandalara:
Your math is correct, after two years in Tucson the attitude of people, outrageous utilities, high property taxes (mine went up 40% the second year), I live across the street from Tucson city limits. If you live outside city limits there is no Emergency 911 ambulance-fire coverage unless you subscribe. Range: $200-$1,600, this past year ambulance services became extra subscription of $256 on top of the fire coverage.
I admit I am biased toward the Verde Valley but that's probably because it's been home to my family for nearly 90 years. I've lived here, off and on, my entire life. Born in Phoenix but haven't lived there that much and don't want to. Loved Tucson, as a kid, but it was still 'small town' back then. Actually, I still like Tucson but won't live anywhere but in this area.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience in AZ. No place is perfect, for sure, and we just have to find the 'best fit' for our own peace of mind.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:11 AM

205 posts, read 360,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
where is the poll...I must have missed it

nevermind, I just found it. Had to get my vote in...this thread has helped me so much to know I'm not the only one out there! Save Our Thread!!!
Can't find the poll either. I'm for anything that makes availability to this thread as easy as possible. Have been with you all for quite a while now. Being part of this has helped me in so many ways!

Old 07-09-2012, 07:15 AM

205 posts, read 360,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Will someone please give directions to find the poll? Thanks !

I guess I'm one of the old timers on this thread, remembering way back when Wisteria created it. Over the years of participation, I've had email exchanges with several of the women contributors, some are my facebook friends and perhaps one of these days we will meet in person. I find it very rewarding to know there others who share the same situations. I vote to continue the sticky So where is the poll .....
I agree with you CIB - have met (in person and on line) and made friends with many wonderful women through this thread! Can't find the poll either but my vote is to keep the sticky!

Old 07-09-2012, 07:36 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
They are thinking of removing the sticky to this thread, so if you have an opinion about that, vote here:

Stickies in Retirement Forum

(go to the Retirement forum and find this topic)
For those of you that say you couldn't find this thread - it's been on page 1 of the Retirement Forum since it was created.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:58 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I admit I am biased toward the Verde Valley but that's probably because it's been home to my family for nearly 90 years.
Wow, you're 90 and still working?

Old 07-09-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Wow, you're 90 and still working?
Hahahahaha...nope. My family moved here in 1931 so it's been the 'family seat' for nearly 90 years.

However, if I am lucky enough to live so long I bet I WILL be working! But that's 20 years from now so maybe I'll hit the lottery before then.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:59 PM

2,903 posts, read 4,585,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
If the sticky is removed, I'll probably stop posting on C-D. However, I'd like to maintain contact with some of my "sisters." Not sure I'll accomplish this, but I'll figure something out.
Lenora, I would be SO disappointed if you stopped posting on C-D. You're a very sharp gal, and you have posted lots of good info here in the Retirement forum. Please reconsider.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:54 PM

5 posts, read 6,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I live in Pima County and fire and 911 service are covered by the fire district. It's paid for by taxes and we don't pay anything extra. They also come to remove rattlesnakes at no charge. My property taxes have gone down every year for the past few years.
I guess it depends on where you choose to live.
I'd like to leave Arizona too, because of how the state government is run, not because of Tucson.
Rural/Metro covers the unincorporated county areas outside of city limits unless there is incorporated Fire Districts which you must have. I should have said: In many areas of Pima County, outside the Tucson city limits, fire protection is not provided as a municipal service, and must be purchased through Rural/Metro.

Snake removal is included, smoke detector battery changes were included, I don't know if they are now. Ambulance services were included until this past year. Rural Metro told me the subscription rates are based upon the number of garages on the property with individual homeowners.

Pima County tax office says the residents in these areas do not pay taxes to support the fire service, yet when you get a tax bill a portion goes to pima county fire protection. I too dislike how the state government is run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement