U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 01:35 AM

605 posts, read 556,884 times

Advertisements

Umbria, appreciate your thinking of me and TNGirl; yes, after 41+ years of married, being solo again in my journey of life
is a challenging adjustment,

LauraC gave a good list how to research a town; DH and I were considering doing research in Hendersonville, NC
though with possible icy mountain roads, not sure about driving solo or how long it could be I ventured outside. We
so enjoyed our research in Franklin, NC>

Have any of you read the Mitford series by Jan Karon; she wrote of such a utopia, she had to move as folks were
constantly looking her windows!

Where are you considering relocating and the reason ? For myself, wanted to return to just outside Piedmont, Oakland,CA though the rent is too high for me. What I enjoyed about it, lots of shops, restaurants, walk most places,
one could get involved in numerous volunteer activies.

TN, MO, AR has been suggested, Eureka Springs; enjoy traveling. Having lived on the West Coast all my life, thought
I might enjoy living in the Southeast, traveling, visiting the different areas and be closer to the Eastern states.

This Thread is a comfort to me, thank each of you for your Post.

P.S. Have you read/heard of that great tag/garage sale that starts in one state TN? and meanders down through
several states once a year? That sounds a girlfriend, fun thing to do!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:55 AM

8,621 posts, read 9,689,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I was just joking. But you sound like you have enough energy to be working till 100.
LOL...I know. I do have a lot of energy but sometimes I wish I didn't. My biggest wish is to FULLY retire but in the meantime.....

Old 07-11-2012, 09:45 PM

28 posts, read 58,060 times
I did it...took a couple hours but I waded through all the pages since I last posted. What a wonderful thread!
To answer the post about us all getting together: when I was going through my divorce and trying to save my marriage, I posted on a forum re same. Lots of people,mostly women, around the world. One of the 'DBers' decided to have a get together at her home in Largo,Fl. That was in 2002 and we are all still friends (easy to do with FB,tho we try to visit once a year or so.)I hosted one at 9500 feet in the Colorado high country in winter one year and it was great fun! So....it is possible.

In the same vein, I was thinking that there might be some interest in travel meets....as a single lady, I still travel a lot,but would prefer to find others to 'go with' to keep travel costs down. Europe, Turkey and Macchu Picchu are on my list in the near future.

After living through 42 winters in the high country of colorado, I went to Puerto Vallarta for 6 months this past winter and LOVED IT. Thought to buy, but decided that renting was cheaper at this point: had a large 2bd/2.5 bath condo with a view2di4 of the whole Bay from every room and especially nice from my bed. Lots of ex pats there and a very friendly community.

Prices for RE are going up in Colorado and even tho I still love the summers here (highs mostly in the high 70's dropping into the 40's or 50's at night), I"m thinking of buying on a little island in Tampa Bay/Gulf for @ $87k. Always wanted to live on an island! Have several friends there (from that DB group),and while I'd have to leave in the hotter months,I think I could learn to like it. (There's a college across the bridge and year round tennis...its an over 55 community). I do like the fact that Florida doesn't have state income taxes!

Only hitch is daughter lives /works/loves in Santa Barbara and I'm sure my future grandchildren will also live there. But I simply can't afford California.

Had I not lost my house here (long story but a-hole X in bed with crooked judge), I would have rented it out in the winters and been free to spend time in PV and travel...but now realize I have to come up with another plan and the 'island' condo is the most likely prospect right now.

Enjoy reading everyone's posts and can empathise with all the stresses that go with so many life decisions. Having a thread that offers info, support, and new ideas certainly makes it all easier!

Old 07-11-2012, 10:07 PM

5 posts, read 6,821 times
Default Yard-Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
P.S. Have you read/heard of that great tag/garage sale that starts in one state TN?
and meanders down through several states once a year? That sounds a girlfriend, fun thing to do!
The World's Longest Yard-sale, also known as the 127 Corridor Sale.
Headquarters are located in Jamestown, TN
This years sale is Aug 2-5
Was 450 miles, now 690 miles!
Runs from 5 Miles North of Addison, Michigan to Gadsden, Alabama across the Lookout Mountain Parkway!

Old 07-12-2012, 12:45 AM

605 posts, read 556,884 times
Thank you Sueno, have you been on the Longest Yard sale? How do you type the umlaw? over the n in your name?

Old 07-12-2012, 11:12 PM

5 posts, read 6,821 times
Default Longest Yard Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Thank you Sueno, have you been on the Longest Yard sale? How do you type the umlaw? over the n in your name?
Sera,
I have a friend who lives in Gadsden, Alabama while visiting two years ago we drove the
yard sale across Lookout Mountain Parkway into Chattanooga,TN. Loads of fun!

I use a Mac computer, don't know if this will work on other brands.
Hold down the Option key and press n. Release, then press n. This gives you ñ.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:24 PM

5,694 posts, read 8,766,777 times
The yard sale goes right through Crossville TN, which is a haven for retirees. Very affordable with lots of golf courses. But it is a small town vibe.

This reminds me - I can't say enough good things about the Uplands Retirement Community outside Crossville where my mom lives. It is one of those set-ups where you start with a single family home or duplex, then there is assisted living and nursing care available as it is needed. It is somewhat intertwined with the very tiny town where it is located, Pleasant Hill. It is sponsored by the United Church of Christ which is a liberal denomination and has educated, well travelled community members from around the country.

They have some great homes available at the moment. To look at it, you are just living in a house, but there are a lot of services available.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:23 PM

5,694 posts, read 8,766,777 times
Oops it looks like I killed the thread. Was I rude for not introducing myself?

Are y'all aghast at the thought of a formal retirement community?

Rather not think about moving to TN?

Old 07-14-2012, 03:41 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,954,783 times
I am still considering TN. I really enjoyed the Smokies this past spring and loved being among such gorgeous woods, streams, waterfalls, meadows.....a great national park! Would love to live nearby. But I don't want to live in a big city, don't care for heavy traffic and don't need a lot of shopping nearby....

Old 07-14-2012, 07:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
The yard sale goes right through Crossville TN, which is a haven for retirees. Very affordable with lots of golf courses. But it is a small town vibe.

This reminds me - I can't say enough good things about the Uplands Retirement Community outside Crossville where my mom lives. It is one of those set-ups where you start with a single family home or duplex, then there is assisted living and nursing care available as it is needed. It is somewhat intertwined with the very tiny town where it is located, Pleasant Hill. It is sponsored by the United Church of Christ which is a liberal denomination and has educated, well travelled community members from around the country.

They have some great homes available at the moment. To look at it, you are just living in a house, but there are a lot of services available.
I have been following the Uplands Community and I receive their mailed newsletter, which I got today.They have a new executive director who says they are making big changes, including dropping "Retirement" from their name (their residents don't think of themselves as "retired," though they are all 55+). They are also changing the terms of buying in; the homes will now be deeded instead of life lease. The concept is of continuing interest, and I know a resident there who loves it. My main reservation (I have not visited) is that it seems rather remote from things - rural?

Last edited by RiverBird; 07-14-2012 at 07:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement