U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 05:58 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
SoIrishly,
I too would love to see and hear about your progress with your house in Flint. I am still considering a move to Michigan when I retire. Please let us know if you decide to write a blog!
I thought you were moving back to Indiana? Curious, what reasons for Michigan (only if you want to tell!).

Old 07-18-2012, 04:53 PM

101 posts, read 171,209 times
Default Grew up in Flint, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIrishly View Post
It's been months since I've posted here, so lots of catch up to do in reading. But I thought I'd jump in for a bit and say that I *finally* bought a house on the other side of the US from here--in the most unlikely place for me to ever go: Flint, Michigan.

If anyone who lives in Flint reads this, if you have any suggestions of private contractors or skilled out-of-work good peeps that I can hire to help me, I'd *really* appreciate it!
Hi - I grew up in Flint in the 50's and 60's - married and moved out to a smaller town on the east side but close enough to visit my friends and family still in Flint. I know very well the story of GM and how devastated the city has become. I do wish you lots of luck and will be happy to hear of your progress. I moved from MI in 1997 and in 7 years plan to retire ..... where? I'm not sure. MI maybe, or elsewhere --- if I know of anyone who can help you I'll send a private message. I can always ask family who still live there too.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:16 PM

605 posts, read 556,884 times
Hello Nov49,

How kind, thoughtful of you to assist SoIrishly. This Thread has the most kind folks who Post. Thank you for being
one of them !

Old 07-20-2012, 11:47 AM

27 posts, read 34,884 times
I visited my niece in Charlotte. She lives on a few acres and has horses. We did some looking around and the area just didn't feel like the right place. Hard to explain, but I just couldn't see myself living there.

Johnson City was nice, but there again it just didn't feel like the right place. I know this is all very subjective, but I tend to go with my gut. I'd say this was my second choice, though.

We looked at Asheville NC but it wasn't the right place either. Also drove to the Gainesville Georgia area. We liked Buford GA.

My sister and brother in law from Hawaii agree with me that the Greenville area would be a place we could put down roots and be quite happy. We liked the downtown and the river walk, real estate and gas and food are affordable, and a half hour drive puts you into the mountain recreation areas. The town was clean, and the expressways were not particularly crowded compared to where we live now. (Chicagoland for me) Every chain store and restaurant you can think of is available, but there are some interesting little shops in the area as well. We liked Travelers Rest, Pickens, and Easley as possibilities.

And holy cow. REAL peaches! Haven't had one in years. My sister and I bought a bag and gorged ourselves.

All of the service people we met in the south were pleasant, and many went out of their way to help us. Locals were quite happy to tell us what they liked about their hometown. They were friendly and welcoming.

I thought drivers were crazy in Chicagoland, but dang! Drivers on the expressways in the south seem to thrive on danger. That came as a big surprise.

Will have to take another trip out there. If I manage to sell my house in Illinois I can do a short term rental in SC and keep my junk in storage until I find the right house. It will be rough because my mom is very close to nursing home time, and moving her will be difficult.

Carolyn

Old 07-20-2012, 11:08 PM

605 posts, read 556,884 times
Hi Carolyn,

Thank you for sharing your experience; the way you described fresh peaches made me drool. LOL

Knowing you live in Chicago, even 45 years later ? ! still remember the pizza in Chicago was the best ! It wasn't
deep dish, sorta thin crust? though do remember it was cut in square pieces, not slices. Also remember Dutch Mill
chocolates and Fannie Farmers chocolates.

Besides food, remember seeing books in the Chicago River, dying it green for St. Paddy's Day; the highest place
to see the city was the Prudential Building.

You certainly brought back a lot of memories Carolyn; last of some memories, riding to work on the El from my
station Jarvis! the stop before Evanston! Surprised the station just came to me. Haven't thought about that in a long time!

Old 07-21-2012, 10:46 AM

1,231 posts, read 892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
As some of you know from following my posts, I am planning on retiring alone, but in a different area from where I am now (California) due to the costs.

I am curious if there are other single/divorced/widowed women out there considering relocating to another area by themselves, and if so to where, and why that location?

I am very torn about where to go. I love the sunshine and dry weather -- factors in my choices. I also want a social network, and am an eastcoaster, originally, and am wondering if I should reconsider the eastcoast because it seems more social. It will also just be my retirement income (it's just me!), and so lower costs, rather than higher, are important.

I'm not really old enough for the senior centers, as I've noticed they seem to be more filled with the 70 and over crowd. Therefore, since I am still lively and young at heart, I am looking for a place where older singles still mingle. I am searching out places that may work for a single retired woman. (I am 59 right now, but plan to try to stick it out here a few more years, if possible.)

I have diverse interests, moderate politics (Independent), and write, play a little piano for myself, draw, and teach art. I'm a social worker by trade, but would like to be involved in more activities and volunteering that would be "fun" oriented. I love hiking -- that is one of my favorite pursuits. I also adore cooking. I have a dog and three cats. I am also not religious, although I guess the term "Spiritual" would apply. My daughter will be in college, but also studying abroad, so she and I will not be in the same city.

I'd love to hear what others think about this situation. Thanks!
Wisteria
Leaving the Monterey Bay area?? You'll regret it big time.

If you must save money, find a way to downsize, conserve, maybe move to a lesser expensive, but nearby, area.

I have found through research that every place pretty much comes out in the same ball park financially if you look at ALL necessary expenses and not just the obvious tax situation- unless it is a place that you would not want to live at any savings.

Florida is touted as cheaper but home owner and the nearly requisite flood insurance and Medicare supplement policies are way more expensive than CA for just two examples. Add to that the heat and humidity, the bugs, thunderstorms, hurricanes, and floods and at what savings would anyone move there from an area near the CA coast?

(I'm not meaning to "pick on" FL- just using it as a common example.)

Why Florida Homeowners Insurance is So Expensive | Home Insurance guides

Old 07-21-2012, 10:59 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,238,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
As some of you know from following my posts, I am planning on retiring alone, but in a different area from where I am now (California) due to the costs.

I am curious if there are other single/divorced/widowed women out there considering relocating to another area by themselves, and if so to where, and why that location?

I am very torn about where to go. I love the sunshine and dry weather -- factors in my choices. I also want a social network, and am an eastcoaster, originally, and am wondering if I should reconsider the eastcoast because it seems more social. It will also just be my retirement income (it's just me!), and so lower costs, rather than higher, are important.

I'm not really old enough for the senior centers, as I've noticed they seem to be more filled with the 70 and over crowd. Therefore, since I am still lively and young at heart, I am looking for a place where older singles still mingle. I am searching out places that may work for a single retired woman. (I am 59 right now, but plan to try to stick it out here a few more years, if possible.)

I have diverse interests, moderate politics (Independent), and write, play a little piano for myself, draw, and teach art. I'm a social worker by trade, but would like to be involved in more activities and volunteering that would be "fun" oriented. I love hiking -- that is one of my favorite pursuits. I also adore cooking. I have a dog and three cats. I am also not religious, although I guess the term "Spiritual" would apply. My daughter will be in college, but also studying abroad, so she and I will not be in the same city.

I'd love to hear what others think about this situation. Thanks!
Wisteria
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
Leaving the Monterey Bay area?? You'll regret it big time.

If you must save money, find a way to downsize, conserve, maybe move to a lesser expensive, but nearby, area.

I have found through research that every place pretty much comes out in the same ball park financially if you look at ALL necessary expenses and not just the obvious tax situation- unless it is a place that you would not want to live at any savings.

Florida is touted as cheaper but home owner and the nearly requisite flood insurance and Medicare supplement policies are way more expensive than CA for just two examples. Add to that the heat and humidity, the bugs, thunderstorms, hurricanes, and floods and at what savings would anyone move there from an area near the CA coast?

(I'm not meaning to "pick on" FL- just using it as a common example.)

Why Florida Homeowners Insurance is So Expensive | Home Insurance guides
Goodness. Did you only read Wisteria's original post (from September 2007)??

Old 07-21-2012, 11:03 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,955,690 times
This person moved from Maine to Wyoming. Here are his reasons for moving. He lives in the Sheridan area. I have always loved the west.....

Why Wyoming?

OK CybeSlydr, here ya go. This is a list I keep updating and post occasionally for folks with your question. The regulars have seen it several times but is still seems to get a positive response. And for good measure I've added why I like my chosen county/town.

Why Wyoming?
No State income tax
No corporate income tax
No Inventory Tax
No Estate Tax
#1 on the “Best State Tax Climate Index” – The Tax Foundation, 2012
#1 Best Place to Build a Nest Egg – US News & World Report, July 2010
Best run State in the US - 24/7 Wall Street, Oct 4, 2010
No vehicle inspections
Economy based on extraction of coal, gas & oil - always in demand
The extraction industries, not property taxes, pay for most of the school system
Least densely populated State in the Union
Free carry state; no permit required to carry concealed
Strong women. Wyoming is known as the “Equality State”. First state to elect a woman as governor.
Republicans have held the State Senate since 1936 & the State Legislature since 1964
Haven’t voted for a Democrat for president since 1964
Wyoming gave our current president a lower percentage of the vote than any other state.
Wyoming is the only state without a "hate crime" law. You assault someone and we will swing you off. We don’t care what your motive was.
Wyoming has one of the lowest crime rates of the states but an average incarceration rate. That means long prison sentences.
Yellowstone
Big Horn Sheep, Mountain Goats, Black Bear, Grizzly Bear, Mountain Lion, Moose, Pronghorn Antelope, Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer, Black Deer plus all of the typical little creatures
Hunting, Fishing & Trapping Galore
No closed season on predators, including liberals
The Grand Slam of Cutthroat Trout [4 species]
You don’t have to hide your red neck; on the other hand it’s not necessary to have one
You’ll be the only person in the State that doesn’t own a horse – at first
Longmire & Pickett [Look’em up!]
Rodeo!!

Why Sheridan County, Wyoming?
“Beef Quality Assurance Award” – Padlock Ranch, Dayton, WY voted Best Beef in the US for 2012; National Cattleman’s Beef Association, 2012

Why Sheridan, Wyoming?
“No. 1 Western Town in America” – True West Magazine, 2006
“No. 1 Small Town for Cowboy Charm” King of US Cowboy Towns – Western Horseman magazine, 2012
“Top Place to Live in the West” – Top 20, American Cowboy, 2011
“Best Old House Neighborhood” for 2011 – This Old House
“No. 2 Distinctive Destination in the Nation” - National Trust for Historic Preservation, 2011
“Top Town for Sportsmen” – Top 200, Outdoor Life, 2010
“Top 25 Cities & Towns with the Best American Values” – Newsmax Magazine, 2009
“Top 100 Adventure Towns” – National Geographic Adventure Online, 2009 & 2010
“Top 10 Great Neighborhoods in America” – American Planning Association, 2008

Old 07-21-2012, 11:05 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,955,690 times
Quote:
This person moved from Maine to Wyoming. Here are his reasons for moving. He lives in the Sheridan area. I have always loved the west.....

Why Wyoming?

OK CybeSlydr, here ya go. This is a list I keep updating and post occasionally for folks with your question. The regulars have seen it several times but is still seems to get a positive response. And for good measure I've added why I like my chosen county/town.

Why Wyoming?
No State income tax
No corporate income tax
No Inventory Tax
No Estate Tax
#1 on the “Best State Tax Climate Index” – The Tax Foundation, 2012
#1 Best Place to Build a Nest Egg – US News & World Report, July 2010
Best run State in the US - 24/7 Wall Street, Oct 4, 2010
No vehicle inspections
Economy based on extraction of coal, gas & oil - always in demand
The extraction industries, not property taxes, pay for most of the school system
Least densely populated State in the Union
Free carry state; no permit required to carry concealed
Strong women. Wyoming is known as the “Equality State”. First state to elect a woman as governor.
Republicans have held the State Senate since 1936 & the State Legislature since 1964
Haven’t voted for a Democrat for president since 1964
Wyoming gave our current president a lower percentage of the vote than any other state.
Wyoming is the only state without a "hate crime" law. You assault someone and we will swing you off. We don’t care what your motive was.
Wyoming has one of the lowest crime rates of the states but an average incarceration rate. That means long prison sentences.
Yellowstone
Big Horn Sheep, Mountain Goats, Black Bear, Grizzly Bear, Mountain Lion, Moose, Pronghorn Antelope, Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer, Black Deer plus all of the typical little creatures
Hunting, Fishing & Trapping Galore
No closed season on predators, including liberals
The Grand Slam of Cutthroat Trout [4 species]
You don’t have to hide your red neck; on the other hand it’s not necessary to have one
You’ll be the only person in the State that doesn’t own a horse – at first
Longmire & Pickett [Look’em up!]
Rodeo!!

Why Sheridan County, Wyoming?
“Beef Quality Assurance Award” – Padlock Ranch, Dayton, WY voted Best Beef in the US for 2012; National Cattleman’s Beef Association, 2012

Why Sheridan, Wyoming?
“No. 1 Western Town in America” – True West Magazine, 2006
“No. 1 Small Town for Cowboy Charm” King of US Cowboy Towns – Western Horseman magazine, 2012
“Top Place to Live in the West” – Top 20, American Cowboy, 2011
“Best Old House Neighborhood” for 2011 – This Old House
“No. 2 Distinctive Destination in the Nation” - National Trust for Historic Preservation, 2011
“Top Town for Sportsmen” – Top 200, Outdoor Life, 2010
“Top 25 Cities & Towns with the Best American Values” – Newsmax Magazine, 2009
“Top 100 Adventure Towns” – National Geographic Adventure Online, 2009 & 2010
“Top 10 Great Neighborhoods in America” – American Planning Association, 2008
Not thrilled about the political flavor but.....

Old 07-21-2012, 11:14 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,238,618 times
Quote:
This person moved from Maine to Wyoming. Here are his reasons for moving. He lives in the Sheridan area.
Lots of Wyoming and Montana towns appeared in my **** list

I wish there was an easy way to compare the 2 states for taxes and such. Guess I need another spreadsheet!

Last edited by Gandalara; 07-21-2012 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: **** equals Find My Spot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement