U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 06:47 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,391,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Umbria, Understand the mosquito is the state bird ! DH born and raised in Duluth.

Bunny, Each of us are exploring the idea of moving or staying where we are. As you know, the grass is always greener though it still has to be mowed. If where you are living, appreciating where you are-congradulations !

LA in NY, Folks think I am nuts considering the idea of moving. Think I would like to be closer to an airport than 2 hours away. May just stay put though think I would like to live in a college town. Did start a Thread about Starting over in
City-Data. Am a recent widow, the home and acre + is just too much, at least for now.
Yep! This year is bad due to all the rain we got spring/early summer. Your DH was a Duluth boy - he knew the meaning of bad winters. Duluth is not only in N MN but right on the lake so it's a double whammy.

I guess many of us think the grass is greener somewhere else but sometimes we need that change to give ourselves that motivational kick. Why not experience somewhere new? My theory is to find a doable "headquarters", be that your current spot or somewhere new, and then spend time in places you have always wondered about or have visited before that you enjoyed.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:16 PM

172 posts, read 213,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Have you spent much time in MN? And if so, where? I have to admit that MN has many good things too, in fact, I have 2 spots here in Edina I have picked out that are walkable and fun areas that I would move to IF something would happen that I couln't move ~~~but that IS NOT going to happen

I looked in Lakewood when I was moving to the Denver area the first time - nice area.

I look at homes in Stapleton (online) almost daily and although I really like the concept - walkable with shops etc..., the prices are up there and the SF is much less than you would get at many other locations in the Denver suburbs. I've looked at many of the "hot" spots in Denver proper and the prices are quite high and the SF is very small.

Of course, we can all move in with LC and problem solved ().

You are right about the bugs (hate bugs) - friends came to visit when I was there before. We went out to dinner and then came back to my house and sat on the patio (open) and talked. One of the guys was talking, stopped, and said "Where are the bugs! In MN we'd be eaten alive sitting out here." Very very nice. On days like today when it's very hot & humid I often think of your lovely dry weather.

I will look you up when I make a trip out.
Oh I think Edina looks like a lovely place! The thing about MN is that it's so green & lush & you have all those pretty lakes. Of course, the "state bird" can be a pain in the neck, guess that's the downside

When I was a kid growing up in Elgin, IL my family used to go fishing at Leech Lake. My grandpa had a friend who had a little resort on the lake & we'd rent a cabin for a week or two. Those are some of the happiest memories of my life & why MN is one of my favorite places.

You're right about Stapleton & some of the other nice areas being pricey. Unfortunately that's the downside of CO & why I've thought about moving.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Umbria, Understand the mosquito is the state bird ! DH born and raised in Duluth.

Bunny, Each of us are exploring the idea of moving or staying where we are. As you know, the grass is always greener though it still has to be mowed. If where you are living, appreciating where you are-congradulations !

LA in NY, Folks think I am nuts considering the idea of moving. Think I would like to be closer to an airport than 2 hours away. May just stay put though think I would like to live in a college town. Did start a Thread about Starting over in
City-Data. Am a recent widow, the home and acre + is just too much, at least for now.
Sera, my condolences on recently becoming widowed. And I don't think you're at all nuts to consider moving. I think you & all the other people on this thread who have or are considering moving to a new place have got a lot of guts.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:07 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,201,788 times
This is such an informative and supportive community! I still have a few years before retirement, but starting to think where I'd like to go when the time comes (too cold here). Just want to say thank you. I really enjoy reading all your posts.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
This is such an informative and supportive community! I still have a few years before retirement, but starting to think where I'd like to go when the time comes (too cold here). Just want to say thank you. I really enjoy reading all your posts.
Iagal, I couldn't agree more What a great bunch of folks! And I've learned so much about different places from reading these posts.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:23 PM

605 posts, read 556,453 times
Been a couple of days since any Posts and must check the Chat Thread on the Retirement Thread.

CRS, Cannot Remember Stuff Bunny as I do remember if I privately sent you a message of thank you for your condolescences..

Yes Iagal, the folks are most helpful, kind on this Forum, website. Whether we move or just to know we are to stay, that is what is so helpful here.

Nuts/Guts Bunny, I am probably both ! My late DH and I visited Western North Carolina and were intending to visit
Hendersonville, south of Asheville. We so enjoyed the folks, bluegrass music and for me, GRITS ! It's a part of the country I have yet to explore, and pray about the possiblity of moving somewhere in the southeast. Arkansas, I have
been informed, welcomes new folk. TN, northeast is another possbility.

Do intend to visit some places, possibility of living somewhere for 6 months to see if that is where the Lord would have me live.

Note; 2008 was my first visit a southern state; we wanted to relocate so as to be close to southern states as well
as the East Coast, where I have yet to venture.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Been a couple of days since any Posts and must check the Chat Thread on the Retirement Thread.

CRS, Cannot Remember Stuff Bunny as I do remember if I privately sent you a message of thank you for your condolescences..

Yes Iagal, the folks are most helpful, kind on this Forum, website. Whether we move or just to know we are to stay, that is what is so helpful here.

Nuts/Guts Bunny, I am probably both ! My late DH and I visited Western North Carolina and were intending to visit
Hendersonville, south of Asheville. We so enjoyed the folks, bluegrass music and for me, GRITS ! It's a part of the country I have yet to explore, and pray about the possiblity of moving somewhere in the southeast. Arkansas, I have
been informed, welcomes new folk. TN, northeast is another possbility.

Do intend to visit some places, possibility of living somewhere for 6 months to see if that is where the Lord would have me live.

Note; 2008 was my first visit a southern state; we wanted to relocate so as to be close to southern states as well

as the East Coast, where I have yet to venture.
Yes, just keep praying about it, that's the best thing to do. God will lead you where He wants you to be. The south seems like it'd be a nice place to live. At my job I talk on the phone to people all over the country & southerners are always so nice! Can't say I've ever had grits, will have to give them a try one of these days

May I ask what DH stands for? I've seen it in lots of posts & can't for the life of me figure out what it means

Old 07-26-2012, 09:57 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,260,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
Not much more than that....just stumbled in here and don't have time to read > 5,000 posts. Figured my retirement research *might* be interesting to others as I assumed Wisteria had made a decision and moved on by now- just used the opening post as a general reference to the ongoing decisions that single women have to make, which I assume is still relevant in 2012. I am curious about what Wisteria ended up doing and if I get time later, I will search her posts.

Thanks for your response!
i don't think she moved yet as i saw a post a month or so ago with the same topic.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:00 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,260,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyBinkies View Post
May I ask what DH stands for? I've seen it in lots of posts & can't for the life of me figure out what it means
dear husband

Old 07-27-2012, 12:02 AM

605 posts, read 556,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyBinkies View Post
Yes, just keep praying about it, that's the best thing to do. God will lead you where He wants you to be. The south seems like it'd be a nice place to live. At my job I talk on the phone to people all over the country & southerners are always so nice! Can't say I've ever had grits, will have to give them a try one of these days

Grits reminds me of when DH, Bruce, was newly stationed on the USS Guadacanal, in Virginia Beach, VA; being from MN he never had grits, he thought is was cream of wheat. When he added butter, syrup to it, a fellow sailor asked why he was putting that on his grits.

For myself, especially enjoy cheesy grits and not everyone enjoys grits.

G.R.I.T.S. can be an acronym for Girls/Guys Raised In The South !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement