U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 09:32 AM

95 posts, read 201,886 times

Advertisements

Bunny, I've been thinking a little about Colorado, my son has been living in Vail since last November. I look at the summer temps and think... wish I was there LOL...

do you really think it's expensive COL in Colorado? I've had about 3 cities in Denver on a check it out list, Pueblo West, Belmont or Aberdeen; any thoughts on these places?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyBinkies View Post
Different Drum, thank you for posting! I only joined this forum a week or so ago & was very interested to see this thread, as I am in much the same boat myself: single, childless, hoping to retire in a few years.

I've thought a lot about leaving Colorado, going someplace with a lower cost of living so I can get more bang for my buck. But the more I read about other places the more I appreciate CO. We have lots of sunshine, 4 seasons, low humidity, the winters are not too bad - even when it snows it usually melts within a couple days. We also don't have a lot of bugs such as mosquitoes or fleas. Fleas don't really thrive in this dry climate, which is a very good thing for those of us with pets!

Denver is a thriving city, & right in our backyard are the gorgeous Rocky Mountains.

Not that I've totally ruled out the possibility of one day moving, but the more I think about it the more I realize how lucky I am to live here.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a Chamber of Commerce ad But for those of you thinking of moving here, this state really does have a lot to offer.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:43 AM

605 posts, read 556,041 times
Skittles,

Goggle Cost of Living, look for Bank Rate. If you type in Los Angeles where you are currently living (general proximity)
and moving to Denver, you will see a decrease. It will give you a general idea.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:25 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,223,984 times
City Data has that information on all of its city pages.

You can usually find it under the Ethnic pie chart ... "Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Los Angeles: 134.5 (high, U.S. average is 100)" ... "Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Denver: 107.9 (more than average, U.S. average is 100)"

Take it all with a grain of salt though, mistakes can happen. I usually use a 5 point cushion up and down.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,527 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skittles2u View Post
Bunny, I've been thinking a little about Colorado, my son has been living in Vail since last November. ...
I did Colorado for my 1st 28 yrs. I still visit a lot (several x / yr). I would stick with Colo Springs and Loveland for my desires if I were to move back. Both places have a variety of housing / COL options, and are desireable locations. (ez to re-sell property). I don't do traffic / busy / HOT / crowded. (there are many areas that fit this criteria, AK has MOST likely spots)

Colorado is pretty fair to seniors (tax wise). I like the weather, but be cautious of future water issues. (I don't have THAT worry in PNW we_side of Cascade Mtns). CoL is quite inexpensive here, excluding property tax. Hint: Rent! 75F today, NICE summers, mild winters (tho gray for 200+ days). BTW... I'm currently in Southern China, it is NOT 75F here !!! (and to think I don't do HEAT...) I'll be home in a few weeks... I DON"T want to miss SUMMER in PNW ! (Have to wait another 285 days).

Berries, YES WE HAVE BERRIES. in Western WA. (and Salmon season too!) Freezer is getting topped-off.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:39 PM

95 posts, read 201,886 times
It seems I need to go visit Colorado.... you also mentioned AK, my concern with Alaska is actually the price of "shopping" I am going to be living on a budget, however since I know I already shop online now, it seems most places online quote shipping prices to the lower 48, so while Alaska may have the weather I'd like, I'd be concerned it would cost more for goods/products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I did Colorado for my 1st 28 yrs. I still visit a lot (several x / yr). I would stick with Colo Springs and Loveland for my desires if I were to move back. Both places have a variety of housing / COL options, and are desireable locations. (ez to re-sell property). I don't do traffic / busy / HOT / crowded. (there are many areas that fit this criteria, AK has MOST likely spots)

Colorado is pretty fair to seniors (tax wise). I like the weather, but be cautious of future water issues. (I don't have THAT worry in PNW we_side of Cascade Mtns). CoL is quite inexpensive here, excluding property tax. Hint: Rent! 75F today, NICE summers, mild winters (tho gray for 200+ days). BTW... I'm currently in Southern China, it is NOT 75F here !!! (and to think I don't do HEAT...) I'll be home in a few weeks... I DON"T want to miss SUMMER in PNW ! (Have to wait another 285 days).

Berries, YES WE HAVE BERRIES. in Western WA. (and Salmon season too!) Freezer is getting topped-off.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittles2u View Post
It seems I need to go visit Colorado.... you also mentioned AK, my concern with Alaska is actually the price of "shopping" I am going to be living on a budget, however since I know I already shop online now, it seems most places online quote shipping prices to the lower 48, so while Alaska may have the weather I'd like, I'd be concerned it would cost more for goods/products.
AK has it's own economy in 'barter' / shared shopping / container deliveries. It CAN be spendy, but does not have to be. There are weekly (and more frequent) barge deliveries from WA and CND. Many retailers send bulk deliveries this way.

I will bet that your savings (no income or sales tax) will go a long way in offsetting extra expenses of AK.

Certainly not the destination of choice for everyone, but a very good one to consider for many. ESPECIALLY adventurous single gals !!!

Old 08-02-2012, 06:20 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,387,939 times
This is the newsletter from the Stapleton area of Denver - sounds like fun, huh?

News in the Neighborhood

Might be worth a little extra $$ and less SF - don't know yet.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:19 PM

1,899 posts, read 4,150,987 times
Small towns in KY are cheap livin'. Just saying.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
This is the newsletter from the Stapleton area of Denver - sounds like fun, huh?....
Each to his own. I really disliked Stapleton when I went to view for second time. I think it is probably great for many. It just didn't fit me. (I'm an oddball... goes without saying)

I am looking into an apartment complex fairly near there, that I felt I could buy and turn into a CHEAP senior housing co-op. Looked like I could end up doing that for well under $80k per unit. After buying your share, the costs should be below $400/ month for taxes, utilities, maint reserves. Some of the MN co-ops are 3x that.

I do wish you would go and check out Becketwood for me (I think it is pretty spendy).
Enjoy Active, Independent Senior Living in Minneapolis at Becketwood

Design & Floorplans

My biggest issue with co-ops is lack of ability to sublease so I can go live Internationally for 6=8 months / yr.

I will be in Colorado this weekend for my usual trip to Sculpture Show, Ice Cream Social, and Bluegrass party (all this coming Saturday). I will also scoot up to WY to enjoy the August stars from Vedauwoo.

but... I GOTTA get out of CHINA first (hope to leave on Friday AM, get to PNW on Friday AM (thanks to Intl Date line) grab a cooler of Salmon and Blueberries, then fly to CO Sat AM). I will be well suited to star gaze all night, since my clock will still be on Asia Time.

SWA cheapo fares has also made my FALL very busy. (but not coming to MSP for SEPT family reunion this yr). Will be doing much of the east coast (via $59 airfare hops (based out of BWI... got there for $119)) WoW! Good since I prefer to be gone, than to be home (except during our 85 days of annual sun Jul5-Sept30).

SOUNDS HOT & DRY in MSP!!!

Hot and Typhoons in China! (But I am gaining more appreciation for Olympic Badmition). I also like the broadcasts for swimming, gym, diving, and running, as they do lots of SLOW MOTION. VERY interesting in Table tennis! At least I can follow the ball in SLOW MO! Living here PT is getting me used to the area so I can go to Thailand for healthcare I hope to be there next month for awhile

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-04-2012 at 07:46 AM..

Old 08-04-2012, 02:17 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,950,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Small towns in KY are cheap livin'. Just saying.
One of our favorite historic small towns is La Grange, KY...full of wonderful shops and restaurants. Lots of very well attended public events, a great little farmer's market on the court house lawn - and really scenic, well cared for - lots of huge pots of flowers all over town, hanging baskets along Main Street, a train that runs down the center of Main Street several times each day....we go there all the time (one of our favorite restaurants is there) - full of beautiful historic cottages and homes and accessible by freeway or lovely country roads.

The mayor and city council are invested in making La Grange a destination spot - it is clean, low crime and a totally walkable town.

http://discoverlagrange.org/

A cute youtube video:

La Grange, Kentucky - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement