U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 09:49 PM

5,399 posts, read 6,547,428 times

Advertisements

You know you get these little enlightenments and it just clicks.

I am trying to find community where I currently live but my heart says 'go home'. So I went into meetup.com to find groups in my area that are along my interest area in which I could participate-truly trying to find my place here. Nothing really.

then i typed in my home town and found so many groups that would suit me.

so confirmed that surely I am meant to go back home when the time comes.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:07 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,401,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Each to his own. I really disliked Stapleton when I went to view for second time. I think it is probably great for many. It just didn't fit me. (I'm an oddball... goes without saying)

I am looking into an apartment complex fairly near there, that I felt I could buy and turn into a CHEAP senior housing co-op. Looked like I could end up doing that for well under $80k per unit. After buying your share, the costs should be below $400/ month for taxes, utilities, maint reserves. Some of the MN co-ops are 3x that.

I do wish you would go and check out Becketwood for me (I think it is pretty spendy).
Enjoy Active, Independent Senior Living in Minneapolis at Becketwood

Design & Floorplans

My biggest issue with co-ops is lack of ability to sublease so I can go live Internationally for 6=8 months / yr.

I will be in Colorado this weekend for my usual trip to Sculpture Show, Ice Cream Social, and Bluegrass party (all this coming Saturday). I will also scoot up to WY to enjoy the August stars from Vedauwoo.

but... I GOTTA get out of CHINA first (hope to leave on Friday AM, get to PNW on Friday AM (thanks to Intl Date line) grab a cooler of Salmon and Blueberries, then fly to CO Sat AM). I will be well suited to star gaze all night, since my clock will still be on Asia Time.

SWA cheapo fares has also made my FALL very busy. (but not coming to MSP for SEPT family reunion this yr). Will be doing much of the east coast (via $59 airfare hops (based out of BWI... got there for $119)) WoW! Good since I prefer to be gone, than to be home (except during our 85 days of annual sun Jul5-Sept30).

SOUNDS HOT & DRY in MSP!!!

Hot and Typhoons in China! (But I am gaining more appreciation for Olympic Badmition). I also like the broadcasts for swimming, gym, diving, and running, as they do lots of SLOW MOTION. VERY interesting in Table tennis! At least I can follow the ball in SLOW MO! Living here PT is getting me used to the area so I can go to Thailand for healthcare I hope to be there next month for awhile
I thought you visited Becketwood during one of your visits? I would do that for you but I suspect we look at things differently so my view may not help.

I am not interested in a co-op - I have 2 dogs and I NEED at least a small, private yard for me and for them.

It has been extremely hot here but today was perfect - high 70s, clear and sunny in the afternoon. Finally got some much needed rain last night. I do love our sping, summer & fall here. Also love winter until Dec 26 and then it can boogey on out of here.

China!????? Are you there alone? You definitely have ants in your pants

Old 08-05-2012, 01:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,658 posts, read 40,029,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I thought you visited Becketwood during one of your visits? .
I have been to Becketwood, but in a much different capacity than a resident. Maybe you know someone who has been there a long time. I am interested in how it works out for the more 'normal' Joe / Josephine.

Co-ops have significant social dynamics that would be a great challenge to me (not exactly a 'follower', tho also not a LEADER.) I just don't deal well with RULES (ask my mom). I also think it is silly for us EACH to have and maintain our entire home / infrastructure. *which is gonna be VERY expensive someday.

China puts ants in more than your pants..(ants are everywhere, just like when I lived in Singapore. you drop a bit of food, here comes the army!). PT job back doing international business development so I can get healthcare for awhile (till this party is OVER or 2013 comes with FREE Obamacare for the poor and helples). Goal is to get mileage and hotel perks back up, so I can take a 1 yr round the world free flight and have plenty of 'upgrades' / free benefits. I love being GONE, so work is not an issue, BUT I have a lot of undone projects,,, being left behind.

AFAIK, Colorado trip will be R&R + looking for investment properties attractive to retirees. (including me some day... in about 20 yrs).

Master plan is still 4 places in US and probably 2 overseas (asia and europe). Each will be rural rental with apt for me. At age 75-80, I will sell and carry back the paper, and move to Becketwood (or the equivalent that I build / find myself).

US targets are:

SW WA (near current place, 20 min to PDX, but serene. I bought that one last yr. it is rented and I'm still fixing... VERY nice 2 acres, plenty of space for me AND renters. $3 / day taxes vs $35 where I now live, yet less that 1 minute away... Not NEARLY as nice of view )

Loveland
(Hope to get this yr... tho might need to get one in Denver first and do a 1031 exchange to Loveland (rates are LOW, must buy soon)

Hill country TX (Kerrville to Wimberley). will get this LAST (high values / taxes here)

Tri Cities TN, (This yr looking here too... EXCELLENT cap rates (Return on investment capital))

(all INCOME tax free except CO)

Also considering a single (Expensive) property in partnership with my kids. If you spend a bundle you get better returns AND can afford a manager.

International... Probably a small villa in N Italy or Southern France.
and a place in Malaysia or Thailand (medical care). Most international villas come with caretaker qtrs. I will use that house and rent the main house and farm.

We'll see... step at a time (until that LAST step... might be tomorrow... just lost a friend in Thailand this week due to an accident ... very common way to die over here... POOR EMS). I will be using a Scooter... less painful / quicker way to die.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:41 AM

13,334 posts, read 25,590,184 times
What did a previous poster dislike about Stapleton?

Old 08-05-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
What did a previous poster dislike about Stapleton?
Urban "make-believe-community". Overpriced housing for a 'fabricated' experience.

Just my thoughts, certainly not saying it is not right for some. Just NOT ME

You have to realize that I have built several houses, and am a bit too discerning to pay a significant 'developer' premium. (that is in addition to Contractor premium). Often found in NEWER planned communities. It will all eventually wash out. I am just to cheap to pay for that 'experience'. Home is a home to me. I have liked all mine, and been very fortunate. I'm afraid moving into a 'planned community' with lots of yuppie / young families and close qtrs, rules and 'trendy' retail would send me POSTAL. I don't want to live at the mall... give me an older downtown, or small country town, or in the boonies. YMMV

Old 08-05-2012, 01:14 PM

217 posts, read 399,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Urban "make-believe-community". Overpriced housing for a 'fabricated' experience.

Just my thoughts, certainly not saying it is not right for some. Just NOT ME

You have to realize that I have built several houses, and am a bit too discerning to pay a significant 'developer' premium. (that is in addition to Contractor premium). Often found in NEWER planned communities. It will all eventually wash out. I am just to cheap to pay for that 'experience'. Home is a home to me. I have liked all mine, and been very fortunate. I'm afraid moving into a 'planned community' with lots of yuppie / young families and close qtrs, rules and 'trendy' retail would send me POSTAL. I don't want to live at the mall... give me an older downtown, or small country town, or in the boonies. YMMV

I love this post, but ahem...I've got news for you, builders have already started tooling with the idea of building apartments right in shopping malls, and apparently, the younger generation loves the idea.

Last edited by glenninindy; 08-05-2012 at 01:25 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
I love this post, but ahem...I've got news for you, builders have already started tooling with the idea of building apartments right in shopping malls, and apparently, the younger generation loves the idea.
Actually it can work well for some (I considered it with some commercial buildings I owned in a very trendy / artsy small town.) Fortunately I unloaded those places when I saw the RE bubble bursting.

I'm glad we are all different, but... that also disrupts nirvana.
Mutiny at Milepost 5 | City | Portland Mercury

Can't jump lightly into situatioons that involve your HOME (harbour of solace and retreat). I see I'm now getting too 'British' I had forgot that everytime you cross from HongKong to China you go from Right hand drive to left hand drive cars. It is OK if you just keep the steering wheel towards the CENTER (unless you take your car across the borders, and not rent a local one. Getting off the ferry in England and doing those freeway speed roundabouts in my car from Spain was exciting (for everone else... NOT me)

I am gaining a real appreciation for Badmintion, squash, field hockey, cricket, rugby, lacrosse ... and of course fooooootball (futball when I lived in Spain).

Doubt if I will ever find 'Home', and it's a certain guarantee I won't find Nirvana (nor would I recognize it if I fell into it)

Old 08-06-2012, 10:09 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,031,681 times
Hello everyone, enjoying this thread very much! A few questions for any of you that care to jump in...
1) How long have you been looking into your retirement locales?
2) For those who have already settled in; how long did you research before taking the plunge?
3) Did any of you start out with a bunch of "maybe" spots; or did you know from the get go?

I have been playing process of elimination on my map and seem to still have too many choices. This morning while on the job, I drove thru Putnam county, NY & found myself wistful once again for the beautiful Hudson Valley. The only way NY can stay in the picture is for my financial status to take a real upward spike.

How do you let go? How do you finally make the choice?

Thx in advance for your feedback. BTW, Umbria, thx for your kind words on the Highland Ranch thread!

Old 08-06-2012, 11:00 AM

6,956 posts, read 7,401,444 times
Bridgerider-

So many different stories here and so many different reasons. I have wanted to move back to CO since the day I drove away from it and moved back to MN. I questioned if I'd made a wise decision - I know I did from an employment perspective but I did really like CO. So, that has been on my mind and is why I decided that was the place to return to now.

HOWEVER, I have a couple friends that think I really need to review my reasons for moving back. Now that I will not have the job contacts, it will be a whole new experience and meeting people will be tougher. Some of the people I knew from before have moved elsewhere (family reasons, need for a change etc...)

I have agreed to stay one more winter here, however, only to use it as a base to travel from and explore other areas to make sure CO is really the spot. CO has gotten so expensive - if I want to live where I think I want to live I'm going to pay a lot more than I'll make on this house and it will be 1/2 the house.

So many decisions. I want to explore the Carolinas - FL, AZ, TN and other more southern spots are out.

How do you break away? It can be tough - leaving what you know and feel comfortable with to the <drum roll> unknown. The more I do to this house the more I like it but I know this has to go. I do love my back yard and feel so energized when I can be out there making things look better and better. I have lots of flowering bushes/trees that are just gorgeous and are really in their prime now. These are all my "kids" that I have nurtured. Comfortable can be dangerous

We have Wisteria that ended up staying in Santa Cruz. Nancy moved to CA and recently moved back to the east. Many others have stayed put. I'm wondering if the excitement of a move has been ruined by this long wait for the economy to get better.

I WILL move. Bridgerider - move to CO!!!!!! I want more of you to move to CO!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Umbria; 08-06-2012 at 11:19 AM..

Old 08-06-2012, 05:45 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,031,681 times
[quote=Umbria;
How do you break away? It can be tough - leaving what you know and feel comfortable with to the <drum roll> unknown. The more I do to this house the more I like it but I know this has to go. I do love my back yard and feel so energized when I can be out there making things look better and better. I have lots of flowering bushes/trees that are just gorgeous and are really in their prime now. These are all my "kids" that I have nurtured. Comfortable can be dangerous

We have Wisteria that ended up staying in Santa Cruz. Nancy moved to CA and recently moved back to the east. Many others have stayed put. I'm wondering if the excitement of a move has been ruined by this long wait for the economy to get better.

I WILL move.!![/QUOTE]

I wonder that too. I definitely think the economy has at least scared some of us a bit. I have realistically 15 - 20 yrs of work before retirement. I spent the majority of my money making years in my husband's business and there isn't enough incentive in all the land for me to go back into that. Currently self employed, I waffle back and forth between finding a civil service job entry level w/bennies....or biting the bullet and trying to make the business fly in a more affordable state than NY. ....sigh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement