U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2012, 02:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,561 posts, read 39,944,045 times

Advertisements

I can relate to Dental 'Anxiety'. I have actually passed out due to stress when I had an inexperienced Hygenist making mincemeat of my mouth. I have not tried the Thailand dentists but did try local dentists while living in Singapore. Thailand has WELL trained (US) medical and dentistry. I would get a quote there.

Thanks for the heads up on costs... I had to take a job (temp) due to several unexpected changes in Net Worth / cash flows, medical costs and PROPERTY taxes. (Up 500% since retirement planning). Between Property Taxes and Medical insurance $25k/ yr JUST for those 2 expenses. Fortunately I EAT on $1200/yr and drive a 36 yr old car that gets 50 mpg on FREE USED Cooking oil. BUT even being frugal... Spending $30 / day EACH on property Taxes and Health Care INSURANCE is NOT sustainable for next 40+ yrs of retirement.

What to do... Move to Thailand... (I'm gonna REALLY miss the Snow... I don't do heat real well.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:23 AM

966 posts, read 919,098 times
I get tired of not being able to rep you ladies again.....but thanks for comments both posted and private. Stealth, you're obviously much braver than I am, despite admission of a small amt of dental anxiety! After all, i had trouble driving to the next town to get my check-up....you went to another country!

I have discovered a dental school not too far away I will check on. It's tempting to just groan and moan about cost but go back to first dentist, as all new encounters bring me added stress....wondering what is best course of action. But I will at least TRY to check it out!

Old 09-18-2012, 09:45 AM

205 posts, read 359,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
I get tired of not being able to rep you ladies again.....but thanks for comments both posted and private. Stealth, you're obviously much braver than I am, despite admission of a small amt of dental anxiety! After all, i had trouble driving to the next town to get my check-up....you went to another country!

I have discovered a dental school not too far away I will check on. It's tempting to just groan and moan about cost but go back to first dentist, as all new encounters bring me added stress....wondering what is best course of action. But I will at least TRY to check it out!
I feel your pain - emotionally, physically and financially! I have a real dental phobia but sometimes you do what ya gotta do Back in '08 I had a lot of dental work done but admit it was more cosmetic in nature. During my career days I spent a lot of time in Costa Rica so knew the country well. I ended up (after much research) spending two weeks there having all the work done at a fraction of the cost quoted to me here in the States. Saved about 60%. Plus I had a nice vacation visiting a country I love. After my first visit to the dentist's office, sitting there I started to have my phobia set in. I thought, "I should just leave." But knew my problems would still be there so I toughed it out (lots of deep breathing and meditation). I am so glad I did!

I know it is not an easy decision to make but the ends to justify the means! Best of luck to you!!!!

Old 09-18-2012, 09:50 AM

205 posts, read 359,929 times
And now for some other news - I am going to be a grandmother!!!!! My daughter and her husband are expecting their first child in March. I am especially delighted because I gave up the thought of being a grandmother years ago. Neither one of my children ever wanted children. Being that they are now 35 and 39 I had accepted the fact so it was with double surprise and delight when my daughter informed me earlier this year that she and her husband decided they were going to have a baby. What was the big surprise was once the decision was made you would think it would take a while. No - she became pregnant pretty much immediately (like I thin the next day!).

We are all so happy. Being an "older" first time mother, she has had all the tests done to make sure the baby is healthy and now just found out it is a girl. So, Welcome to world baby girl, baby girl!

Just another road on the map of life!

Old 09-18-2012, 11:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,561 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Karcon, How exciting and fun (seeing how you had given up hope for such...)

I'm GLAD you were clear this time about WHO was having the baby... I'll be Sleeping more peacefully tonight! :0

Old 09-19-2012, 09:55 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,924,127 times
Congrats, Karcon! I actually didn't think 35 was considered "older" for mothers these days. Some aren't even getting married until their late 20's and early 30's. Wishing you all the best!

Old 09-24-2012, 05:35 PM

863 posts, read 1,065,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
As some of you know from following my posts, I am planning on retiring alone, but in a different area from where I am now (California) due to the costs.

I am curious if there are other single/divorced/widowed women out there considering relocating to another area by themselves, and if so to where, and why that location?

I am very torn about where to go. I love the sunshine and dry weather -- factors in my choices. I also want a social network, and am an eastcoaster, originally, and am wondering if I should reconsider the eastcoast because it seems more social. It will also just be my retirement income (it's just me!), and so lower costs, rather than higher, are important.

I'm not really old enough for the senior centers, as I've noticed they seem to be more filled with the 70 and over crowd. Therefore, since I am still lively and young at heart, I am looking for a place where older singles still mingle. I am searching out places that may work for a single retired woman. (I am 59 right now, but plan to try to stick it out here a few more years, if possible.)

I have diverse interests, moderate politics (Independent), and write, play a little piano for myself, draw, and teach art. I'm a social worker by trade, but would like to be involved in more activities and volunteering that would be "fun" oriented. I love hiking -- that is one of my favorite pursuits. I also adore cooking. I have a dog and three cats. I am also not religious, although I guess the term "Spiritual" would apply. My daughter will be in college, but also studying abroad, so she and I will not be in the same city.

I'd love to hear what others think about this situation. Thanks!
Wisteria

Hi, I am a divorced male California Native who moved from North Coastal San Diego to Asheville, NC to retire last year. My two adult children live in WA and KS. I had never heard of Asheville until the summer of 2011. It appeared in three of the three books I read about the top places to retire in the United States. So I came to check it out for a week. Five days after my arrival, I was sold. I moved 2,300 miles cross country not knowing a soul here. My family, aside from my children, are all in Southern California. I have since made many friends, volounteer and attend classes at UNCA at the College for Seniors. You many want to read about it on Wikipedia. If you would like any particulars, feel free to ask. Congratulations on your retirement and good luck wherever you land. BTW, I'm 60.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:07 PM

Funny. I just read further up the thread where you mentioned you've received news you're going to be a grandmother. Congratulations. My daughter is 33 and had two failed pregnancies. My son's wife is 36 and I became a grandfather for the first time six weeks ago. Baby Adeline is in Bainbridge Island, WA. I'll be headed there from NC soon. I used to say "they're only a plane ride away". But flying isn't fun anymore!

Old 09-24-2012, 06:25 PM

8 posts, read 8,702 times
I am retiring alone own within the next year and seeking a 55 plus community that caters to the younger spectrum, I m 56 . I know that Arizona has state of the art facilities at pretty reasonable prices. but the summers scare me. I need new hobbies, taking up bridge, and love a good health club class, yoga, etc, and cooking and food. I also have 2 dogs and want an area I can fence or wall. I have No real idea where to go.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:55 PM

I forgot to mention Asheville is one of the most dog friendly places I've ever been to. My favorite bookstore is named after the owners dog. It's a high end place at The Grove Arcade (google images). Dogs are welcome. Same for my favorite coffee shop. We have more bookstores per capita than any place I've ever seen; a vibrant art and music scene, great food, friendly people, The French Broad River, and we're in where the Appalacian Mountains meet The Great Smoky Mountains. We have a wonderful hospital and world class medical care. And The Blue Ridge Parkway runs through the middle of town. Did I mention all the organic farms in the area and Farmer's Markets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement