U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 01:27 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,581 posts, read 39,952,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
...I would love to live in CA but know that is very expensive. I have always loved Oregon and WA state. But, I won't be making any decisions until next year, after the baby is born and I know what things will be at that time.

...Seems we all live so far from our children. And then we make a decision to be closer to them and they move. Lesson, can't plan your life around others. Make your own plans and just let things work themselves out.
My mom moved to my Sis town to be near grandkids. My sis could not move FAST enough to get away, but managed to get away in the night. (She moved 2200 miles from MOM and a place she KNEW mom would not follow (near ME the kid she forced to sign a LEGAL disinheritance) Worked good for my sis. My mom called my kids 2x in their life and said... I'm at the airport and I will be here for 1 hr changing planes, if you want to see 'Auntie' this yr, they can come to the airport. (she could NOT digest GRANDMA).

My kids didn't EVER want to go through THAT

But speaking of far... my youngest just informed me he bought a one way ticket to NZ... so much for the good job he has... (no grandkids (I hope)).

Karcon, You can find a way to live cheap in CA. I'm in San Diego today... I think I could handle it here! (not financially, but HEY, the weather is great and there are LOTS of bridges to live under. (Ocean View, no taxes!)

You can live CHEAPER in Vancouver WA (10 min from GREAT Portland, OR airport) and while winters stink here (285 days pf drizzle). Those months are GREAT in Australia. Could that be why my son is leaving in Nov (after he argued that I stay in PNW cuz he LIKED it....

It would be impossible without my access to PDX. (6 more trips BOOKED AWAY yet this yr). Feb - March are the unbearable months... (thinking... Will I EVER see the sun, stars and moon again?). Last night was BRITE!!! I was roaming around tha house in the DARK (packing for CA) and not crashing into the walls.

This AM... Vibrant RED sunrise from 30,000ft (airplane) Mt St Helens, Rainier, Adams, Hood ALL peaking out of the low lying sparse fog. WoW... worth getting up to see!! BTW... Sunsets on OR Coast (near Cannon Beach) are absolutely spectacular in Sept / Oct (from forest fires causing RED sun). I will post pics from Last week! (Took the dog out for his annual 'beach trip') Since he is a 'farm dog', it is REALLY special TREAT for him.

a preview... (mine were Better) Tide was WAY out.

hug point sunset - Google Search

Good luck on the grandkids... I'm NOT ready for that stage.... yet. NO hurry.
still 10+ yrs to SS and MC.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
...Karcon, You can find a way to live cheap in CA. I'm in San Diego today... I think I could handle it here! (not financially, but HEY, the weather is great and there are LOTS of bridges to live under. (Ocean View, no taxes!)
UPDATE... forget 'Living-under-the-bridge' Idea in CA.... We just had a serious tremor at 1:40AM. people in the hotel are in the halls all freaked out. I'm going back to bed, and am glad I'm not under a bridge TONIGHT.

A palm tree MAYBE, but a concrete bridge NOPE I am having visions of choking dust, busted up concrete, and rebar sticking everywhere; Plus earthquake rescue dogs charging around... (and I'm still insured! unlike my friends under the bridge,,, CRUNCH..)

Old 10-03-2012, 03:51 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,232,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
UPDATE... forget 'Living-under-the-bridge' Idea in CA.... We just had a serious tremor at 1:40AM. people in the hotel are in the halls all freaked out. I'm going back to bed, and am glad I'm not under a bridge TONIGHT.

A palm tree MAYBE, but a concrete bridge NOPE I am having visions of choking dust, busted up concrete, and rebar sticking everywhere; Plus earthquake rescue dogs charging around... (and I'm still insured! unlike my friends under the bridge,,, CRUNCH..)
A 4.1 that was centered half way between San Diego and El Centro is a serious tremor???

Ha.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:57 PM

863 posts, read 1,065,422 times
Default Ten Best Places for Single's to Retire (they say)

10 Best Places for Single Seniors to Retire - US News and World Report

Old 10-04-2012, 12:23 PM

121 posts, read 253,727 times
Default 4.1 earthquake serious tremor?

I spent 55 years living in California and have experienced several earthquakes up close and personal. I once had the "pleasure" of experiencing a 6.0 earthquake near Bishop, CA in Mono county on May 25, 1980.
MAMMOTH LAKES EARTHQUAKES, MAY 25-27, 1980
There were numerous aftershocks and all the stuff fell off the shelves in the convenience mart nextdoor, resulting in a lot of broken glass and spilled contents on the floor. The road was cracked (hwy 395) in a few places. It shook me up a bit because I was in bed at the time, sleeping in and dreaming of the horseback fly-fishing vacation ahead. I was in an old style (1950's) single story roadside motel. The whole room undulated like long period swells in the open ocean, far from shore. The rolling swells seemed to go on forever. This was one of the few earthquakes that ever shook me up even a little. After it was over, I showered, packed and continued to my destination at June Lake. Of course, at that point mother nature decided to snow! The quake along with the late season snow fall freaked out so many people that out of the 12 people that had paid non-refundable fees for the week long pack trip and fly fishing clinic, only one other couple showed up. It was great having such a high level of personalized service on the pack trip. There were four guides/wranglers and one fly fishing instructor for us four patrons that braved the quakes! Earthquakes can provide unexpected benifits!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:23 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,206 times
Default Karcon ~ I agree !

Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
Seems we all live so far from our children. And then we make a decision to be closer to them and they move. Lesson, can't plan your life around others. Make your own plans and just let things work themselves out.
This is very TRUE and I struggle with the decision

Old 10-05-2012, 09:43 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,085,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
This is very TRUE and I struggle with the decision
I did it once (moved from Santa Fe to Olympia, WA) and she up and moved about two years after I had made the big move. I was upset but while I was there I did things I always wanted to do--like go to college full-time. It hurt financially but still don't regret it because I have many good memories of getting to know Seattle and the Olympic Peninsula (love it), was at my granddaughter's home birth, had lots of fun with my daughter, made many new friends, and graduated from college. After graduating I moved back to Santa Fe to my old well paying job--I'm not following her to PA. Now if I had moved to an area that I knew I didn't want to live (such as PA) and she moved I would have been more upset than I was. When I can no longer work I might move if my youngest settles somewhere that I would like to live and seems like he'll stay there and I have room for my ceramic studio. I'm hoping to last in this job until I'm 70--ten more years. Egads I turn 60 next month!

Old 10-05-2012, 05:01 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,232,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwinds View Post
4.1 earthquake serious tremor?

I spent 55 years living in California and have experienced several earthquakes up close and personal. I once had the "pleasure" of experiencing a 6.0 earthquake near Bishop, CA in Mono county on May 25, 1980.
Yes, I remember that month - I think there was more than 1 though ... I was about 200 miles away.

I still think they follow me around, LOL.
  • In the desert on spring break in April 1968. A 6.5 earthquake.
  • Living in LA county. February 1971. A 6.6 earthquake.
  • In the desert visiting friends in October 1979. A 6.5 earthquake.
  • In an LA area hospital on the 3rd floor, sitting next to floor to ceiling windows in October 1987. They had just taken my Mom in for surgery. A 5.9 earthquake.
  • Visiting relatives in San Francisco in October 1989. A 6.9 earthquake.
  • In my cabin, built on a hill, in the San Bernardino mountains in June 1992. First the Landers 7.2 hit, and then 3 hours later the 6.5 in Big Bear hit.
  • Visiting friends in LA in January 1994. A 6.7 earthquake.
Maybe this is an unconscious reason why I want to retire in Arizona ...

They are such a mad rush of adrenalin!

I am never ever going to visit Japan.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:29 PM

4.1 no biggy for me,
I'm used top them, but not everyone is, nor do you have a lot of control over 4.1 vs 7.1.

Some folks down right don't appreciate a good shake. (woke up the hotel guests)

I have a 500 Acre wildfire near home tonight (~ 3 miles away and 40 mph winds)... That is not too comforting as I board the plane for another month in Asia. (I hate to waste Autumn on southern China), but I will fly direct back to SC, TN to enjoy the waning moments of fall.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:58 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,059,483 times
Leaving for my "retirement" explor-ation on Sunday. Decided to go to Virginia after all, but not Charlottesville (well, I'll spend one day there just to see what the vibe is). I'll be primarily checking out the west end of Richmond...Midlothian area in particular, and make a trip to Williamsburg to meet up with a former co-worker as well. I decided I needed to get something accomplished before year-end, so just changed my tactics a bit, staying a little shorter period of time, but will be very focused on checking it out as a "local". It has alot of what I am looking for and I think the COL is do-able. City of Richmond has crime issues but the area I'm checking out (suburbs) has little crime. Wish my luck! I'll definitely report back on how everything went...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement