U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2012, 02:40 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,088,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Leaving for my "retirement" explor-ation on Sunday. Decided to go to Virginia after all, but not Charlottesville (well, I'll spend one day there just to see what the vibe is). I'll be primarily checking out the west end of Richmond...Midlothian area in particular, and make a trip to Williamsburg to meet up with a former co-worker as well. I decided I needed to get something accomplished before year-end, so just changed my tactics a bit, staying a little shorter period of time, but will be very focused on checking it out as a "local". It has alot of what I am looking for and I think the COL is do-able. City of Richmond has crime issues but the area I'm checking out (suburbs) has little crime. Wish my luck! I'll definitely report back on how everything went...
That's great! My sister lives in Glen Allen. She really likes the park along the river in Richmond. I liked it when I visited. She seems to keep really busy doing all kinds of fun things there. Good luck--can't wait to hear how it goes.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:45 PM

4,411 posts, read 5,938,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Leaving for my "retirement" explor-ation on Sunday. Decided to go to Virginia after all, but not Charlottesville (well, I'll spend one day there just to see what the vibe is). I'll be primarily checking out the west end of Richmond...Midlothian area in particular, and make a trip to Williamsburg to meet up with a former co-worker as well. I decided I needed to get something accomplished before year-end, so just changed my tactics a bit, staying a little shorter period of time, but will be very focused on checking it out as a "local". It has alot of what I am looking for and I think the COL is do-able. City of Richmond has crime issues but the area I'm checking out (suburbs) has little crime. Wish my luck! I'll definitely report back on how everything went...
YAYYY! I was wondering what you decided. Good luck and I can't wait for the "trip report".

Old 10-09-2012, 06:35 AM

16,385 posts, read 10,367,917 times
I think you picked a great time. Not sure about the time difference but the leaves are at their pear here in PA. That far south would be a bit later.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,865 times
Default Relocating to Eastern Tn

Previously looked at the Ashville/Hendersonville, NC for retirement area but compared to Eastern Tn, you get much more housing for the $.

Giving some serious thought to relocating to the Dandridge, Tn area along Cherokee Lake. Recently visited this area and there seemed to be some relatively affordable houses that are lake front. Anyone familiar with the Lake Cherokee/Dandridge/Morristown, Tn area?

Old 10-17-2012, 05:04 PM

2,224 posts, read 2,041,831 times
Am looking at the Chicago area right area. Real estate seems affordable at least in some areas. Does anyone have any thoughts on Chicago for retirement? I have a friend, now 89, who lives there and loves it. I was there for grad school long ago.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:14 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,404,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Am looking at the Chicago area right area. Real estate seems affordable at least in some areas. Does anyone have any thoughts on Chicago for retirement? I have a friend, now 89, who lives there and loves it. I was there for grad school long ago.
Chi town is an interesting place. I'd be real careful with the cheap housing areas. I don't think Chicago is known for a low cost of living. Your friend could probably help you with that. Otherwise - buy some long johns - could be an interesting change for you.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:05 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,547,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Chi town is an interesting place. I'd be real careful with the cheap housing areas. I don't think Chicago is known for a low cost of living. Your friend could probably help you with that. Otherwise - buy some long johns - could be an interesting change for you.
Depending what you compare it to, Chicago has low cost of living. That from me, over in San Diego with mega-high cost of living.

What would make me wonder about retirement in Chicago would be the winters. I moved away from winter in 1980 and I have no desire to ever experience it again. If I want snow, I'll go drive up the local mountains! My mom, OTOH, turned down retiring to California because she said she would miss the seasons, including winter.

A caveat ... Chicago is the most segregated city I have ever experienced. There are some neighborhoods where everyone is 'mixed'. But there are also a few hard-core black and white neighborhoods, and it can be dangerous to cross those lines in either direction. They are few enough that once you learn where they are, you should have no trouble avoiding them. Ask about it in the 'Chicago' forum and you'll get a flood of opinions ...

Other than that, Chicago is a great place. It has loads of very different neighborhoods, and reasonably good public transportation. It's big enough to be a cosmopolitan city that has something for everyone.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:11 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,404,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
A caveat ... Chicago is the most segregated city I have ever experienced. There are some neighborhoods where everyone is 'mixed'. But there are also a few hard-core black and white neighborhoods, and it can be dangerous to cross those lines in either direction. They are few enough that once you learn where they are, you should have no trouble avoiding them. Ask about it in the 'Chicago' forum and you'll get a flood of opinions ...

Other than that, Chicago is a great place. It has loads of very different neighborhoods, and reasonably good public transportation. It's big enough to be a cosmopolitan city that has something for everyone.
I know this was true about 15 years ago - not sure if it still is. I went with a local friend to visit her Chicago friend who happened to be Sicilian. She explained just how serious those boundaries were. Italians in one area, Irish in another, Puerto Ricans in another, etc... it was dangerous and stupid to cross into an area you didn't belong in. I will say that she took us partying that night with her Sicilian friends and they were very polite to me, a Scandinavian. Maybe I'm one of those neutral types Or maybe if you're introduced as "Angela's friend" you get a pass.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:14 PM

2,224 posts, read 2,041,831 times
I lived in Chicago in the late 60's and 70's. We went just about everywhere, shopped in ethnic groceries, ate in neighborhood ethnic restaurants (I did reviews for the campus newspaper), and never experienced anything like this. There were some dangerous neighborhoods, where I would not have walked around, but that was due to gang activity. I did ride through them on the El. I was often the only white person on the train but never felt in danger.

I lived in Hyde Park then. My understanding is that it's not nearly as dangerous now as it was then. I found 2 BR condos listed there now for under $100,000. Some of them are in a building I lived in back in the 70's as a renter. What I can't find are affordable detached houses. I need that because I have three rural herding dogs who would go crazy in a condo with no yard.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:39 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,547,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I know this was true about 15 years ago - not sure if it still is. I went with a local friend to visit her Chicago friend who happened to be Sicilian. She explained just how serious those boundaries were. Italians in one area, Irish in another, Puerto Ricans in another, etc... it was dangerous and stupid to cross into an area you didn't belong in. I will say that she took us partying that night with her Sicilian friends and they were very polite to me, a Scandinavian. Maybe I'm one of those neutral types Or maybe if you're introduced as "Angela's friend" you get a pass.
Those ethnic-area ownership type 'boundaries' are not at all the types of boundaries I was referring to. It's racial segregation.

My mom hired a lady to come over once every other week to do housecleaning (we were six kids, and Mom was back working at that point). She stopped coming when she got beat up by wannabe' thugs at the bus stop near our home.

After I'd lived on the north side for some years, I made the mistake of assuming things were less dangerous and took the El train to the stop south of Hyde Park. As we were walking towards Hyde park, a bunch of wannabe' thugs started attacking us.

That's what I'm talking about. I'm keeping an eye on the Chicago forums to see if any of that eases up. It seems to be drawing inward on itself, but they still talk about "the neighborhoods" to avoid. So it still exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement