U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 11:49 AM

6,956 posts, read 7,401,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I just found a terrific resource that is going to help me alot. Its a paperback (2012) just out and its called "The Single Woman's Guide to Retirement" by Jan Cullinane. Its got so many resources about places to settle, things to think about, and where a single woman over 50 can get help with her choices. And there are so many choices. Explains all the different types of options for living, reinventing oneself, and choices on how to spend your retirement days, either alone or with another person, man or woman. I will be spending my weekend trying to read the whole book, 300 pages, unless I can find someplace to buy it, since its from the library.
Just ordered it from the library - I'm on a waiting list

Old 01-11-2013, 11:56 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I just found a terrific resource that is going to help me alot. Its a paperback (2012) just out and its called "The Single Woman's Guide to Retirement" by Jan Cullinane. Its got so many resources about places to settle, things to think about, and where a single woman over 50 can get help with her choices. And there are so many choices. Explains all the different types of options for living, reinventing oneself, and choices on how to spend your retirement days, either alone or with another person, man or woman. I will be spending my weekend trying to read the whole book, 300 pages, unless I can find someplace to buy it, since its from the library.
Give us a book review and if you think it's worth buying. It looks interesting. Our library doesn't have it but I see it on Amazon.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:16 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,623,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Just ordered it from the library - I'm on a waiting list
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm on the waitlist too on my local library. Let's all share our impressions of it when we are done reading!

Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,997,544 times
Her tips are things we have been discussing for years here on CD. I'm not sure she has much to add to what many of us already know:

How To Retire As A Single Woman - YouTube

Old 01-13-2013, 02:03 PM

277 posts, read 298,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Her tips are things we have been discussing for years here on CD. I'm not sure she has much to add to what many of us already know:

How To Retire As A Single Woman - YouTube
Agree. I liked her first one better. This one is a nice compact reference full of brief clips on various subjects of interest. The value lies in the "411"--tips for further information. There's a reference list and an index (I can't believe how many authors omit this). I think it's definitely worth the money--it's like Retirement Forum, only organized

Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 AM

6,131 posts, read 9,098,506 times
I do agree that much of this info is stuff we have all discussed, thought about and researched, but this book certainly compacts it into something that is easy to read and great for those just getting started on this journey.

I was interested in some parts of the book more than others. www.nationalsharedhousing.org was a website I did have alot of interest in and I signed up for their newsletter, although to join the organization, its 50 bucks. Also www.cohousing.org is another website that explains the progress being made and the 225 communities already established.

But, for the majority of us, we have seen most of this material before, so whether to purchase the book or just borrow it is your decision. I did buy it.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,850 times
I'm a widow and have been retired for a few years. I own my home but live in what is now listed as the most expensive state in the country, Ct.
I do have two sons, both of whom live with their families in Huntsville,Al.
it seems logical that I would move near them. But---that area of the country is hot and VERY humid for at least 8 mo. of the year. I really do not like humid weather so I could picture myself inside an air conditioned house for most of the year. That's no fun.
When you were younger you met people in a new location via work. But because I clearly won't be working how can I justify moving to a completely new location with no connections of any kind. What if I am ill with no one to ask for help?
How will I meet and make new friends?
I have friends in this area who have asked the same question and because they found no answer they feel as stuck as I do.

Anyone else ever feel this way and if you did how did you resolved it? Just go and take your chances? Or is it still unresolved?
Anne

Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,958,243 times
I think volunteering is a good way to meet new friends. Do something that is of interest to you.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:29 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie owner View Post
I'm a widow and have been retired for a few years. I own my home but live in what is now listed as the most expensive state in the country, Ct.
I do have two sons, both of whom live with their families in Huntsville,Al.
it seems logical that I would move near them. But---that area of the country is hot and VERY humid for at least 8 mo. of the year. I really do not like humid weather so I could picture myself inside an air conditioned house for most of the year. That's no fun.
When you were younger you met people in a new location via work. But because I clearly won't be working how can I justify moving to a completely new location with no connections of any kind. What if I am ill with no one to ask for help?
How will I meet and make new friends?
I have friends in this area who have asked the same question and because they found no answer they feel as stuck as I do.

Anyone else ever feel this way and if you did how did you resolved it? Just go and take your chances? Or is it still unresolved?
Anne
I've done it several times. The first few years are the hardest. I rarely make friends through work other than going to lunch during the work week so I never count on work to make friends. I've made most of my friends by taking classes and doing things I enjoy. When I meet someone that I feel there might be a connection I am proactive about inviting them to do something. I don't wait for them to initiate. I've been building up a group of friends that will exercise with me so I get out and do it. After I'm not working anymore I'll volunteer. Some towns have senior centers with activities and services. If you find a place you want to live check out the activities for seniors and what else is available for you to get out and socialize. Church--if you're a church goer that should be a good support group. Call social services and ask them if there are services for someone who is ill and needs help. Take one of your friends with you. Don't let fear stop you if you really want to move. Look on it as an adventure. You don't have to be stuck. Good luck!

I just learned I can get my senior card to use the senior centers here (turned 60 at the end of 2012.) I need to go get it even though most of the activities are during the work week. Guitar lessons! If only I could retire.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:57 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,206,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I've done it several times. The first few years are the hardest. I rarely make friends through work other than going to lunch during the work week so I never count on work to make friends. I've made most of my friends by taking classes and doing things I enjoy. When I meet someone that I feel there might be a connection I am proactive about inviting them to do something. I don't wait for them to initiate. I've been building up a group of friends that will exercise with me so I get out and do it. After I'm not working anymore I'll volunteer. Some towns have senior centers with activities and services. If you find a place you want to live check out the activities for seniors and what else is available for you to get out and socialize. Church--if you're a church goer that should be a good support group. Call social services and ask them if there are services for someone who is ill and needs help. Take one of your friends with you. Don't let fear stop you if you really want to move. Look on it as an adventure. You don't have to be stuck. Good luck!

I just learned I can get my senior card to use the senior centers here (turned 60 at the end of 2012.) I need to go get it even though most of the activities are during the work week. Guitar lessons! If only I could retire.
Thank you for sharing your experience and suggestions. Helps give me the courage and hope to someday live out my dream of picking up and moving to a different part of the country (probably after I retire).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement