U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 09:13 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,199,114 times

Advertisements

Chattanooga or Knoxville?

Last edited by smpliving; 02-01-2013 at 09:31 AM..

Old 02-01-2013, 01:56 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,084,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
3. the state is too small to be a country but too large to be an insane asylum......hearkening back to a War of Northern Aggression era joke.................
Not Texas - it is its own country

How exciting--can't wait to hear more.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:04 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,949,307 times
Holding my breath......Georgia, NC, or TN.....

Old 02-01-2013, 03:14 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,388,974 times
Listen, little Miss frog person - not fair SC? Whisper it in a DM to me

Old 02-01-2013, 05:16 PM

277 posts, read 298,184 times
North Carolina

Old 02-01-2013, 08:22 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,214,395 times
South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large to be an insane asylum. Damn rebels!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:06 AM

419 posts, read 564,059 times
I live in the Seattle area now. Have been here since 1983. San Diego native. Loved it until this year. The rain does not bother me as much as the gloom. Day in and day out. Someone mentioned bike riding trails - yea when it isn't raining. It isn't cheap either. Sales tax in our area is 9.8%. Gasoline tax is high - I think we are one of the highest. There is no state income tax but I don't have a problem paying state income tax if it helps the state. There is one highway that goes north and south - Hwy 5. It can get very congested - no joke - since it is the only one that gets people from north to south. It is beautiful though with the mountain ranges and puget sound, lake washington etc. But.......... One just has to weight what is important. We are hoping to leave here when hubby retires. Going to try Florida for awhile giving us an opportunity to visit the eastern part of the country and see places we have not been. Then if we don't like it we will head West - checking out other areas.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
...I should never ever reveal a plan until it is a done deal....................not that i think i'm jinxing it but oh oh oh oh oh, it does put the fear in me when i ever say it's a done deal.

soooooooooooo, i have to remain stealth until at least later today/getting some wrinkles ironed out & of course ///

totally sure that it will work out....

the where...........hmmm, the where...........

hints:
1. you can see mountains in the distance/not so distant distance
2. i can drive back to the coast in 4.5 /5 hours
3. the state is too small to be a country but too large to be an insane asylum......hearkening back to a War of Northern Aggression era joke.................

i think i have at least nailed the geographics.....history buffs call out the answer!

...pled with privacy and a true sense of safety.

final hint - i can be in atlanta in 2 hours....if all the cars get off the road...............

if it all works out, the hostel for all who wander in search of place , should open sometime this spring
Too tough for a west coast person...
Greenville, SC or within 1 hr radius? (Asheville)

I'm doing Kingsport, TN
Kerrville. TX
Spearfish, SD ( or Ft Collins / Loveland, CO) (TBD)
and Vancouver WA.

Each place has room (and RV connections) for visitors. and close to a CHEAP airport.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:32 AM

895 posts, read 1,330,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large to be an insane asylum. Damn rebels!
Very good! I knew i was close to the quote - (damn rebels indeed.....it's them durn yankees and thur federalist ways )

the other that is a personal favorite is about North Carolina being a valley of humility between two mountains of conceit. They knew how to throw gracious stones in those days.

I meant to get back faster but in a whirlwind of activity here figuring how to pull this all off.
The PLACE is................................................ Upstate South Carolina
city of Anderson to be precise!

Contract modifications were accepted - house inspection does need to take place so that's the final hurdle ( and if I can just dig up the pre-requisite cash from under the floorboards and bring my change purse to the closing)

The lesson in all of this is
1. Don't settle!
2. Don't give up!
3. Don't be afraid to ask for what you want/need! Even if you get turned down 100 times - ask 101!
4. When you get the answer you want but it has caveats, don't be afraid to push the boundary even more. I just negotiated - I took chances. I haven't done that in a very long while.
5. Put yourself first. The oxygen mask rule is dead on.

A weight has been lifted from my shoulders.
more details to follow

Old 02-03-2013, 08:55 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,388,974 times
It must feel just wonderful to finally make a decision and just go for it and be able to declare it "done". I'm going to take your suggestion on the negotiating, which is something I'm not real good at.

Do you think NC is more humid than SC? As I mentioned, I question whether CO is really where I wan't to go. I love it there, or did, but things there have changed a great deal (prices have gone nuts + too many people have moved in). I don't want to base today's decision on a decison I made nearly 15 years ago.

Congrats on your new home and I eagerly await to hear how this all turns out Wish you lots of happiness in your new abode!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement